Light weight parts.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys.

Im looking for light parts to drop a bit more weight on my riot. The parts in brakets are what Im thinking of. The spec is as follows.

Frame: Blk Mrkt Riot
Forks: society Xenos
Bars: Blk Mrkt bada bing
Stem: NS Quack Pro (Blk Mrkt underboss order and here next week)
Seat/Post: Shadow Con pivotal, going to cut and drill post
Cranks: Profile (no Ti spindle, so i might get a Ti spindle)
Sprocket: Shadow Con lighter
Pedals: oddysey PC's
Chain: KMC SL
Tires: Kenda NPJ's (maybe some KHE mac tyres)
Tubes: shit ones (some light weight tubes, 24" or maybe some 20"s streched)
Rims: AtomLab Pimps (thinking of drilling front)
Hubs: R: tuff neck single speed. F: Imperial QR (going to cut disc mounts off front hub)
Grips: Fly bikes Ruben
Brakes: hayes MX2, linear slic, Avid lever.

Not wonting to buy new hubs, rims or wheels.

Last time it was weighed it was 12.6-12.8kg (I think) with my old cranks,pedals,sprocket,chain and seat and post. Im aiming for mid to high 11's or even 10's brakeless.

Could any of you weight weenies out there suggest some light parts or tips? *looks at pesling for advice*

Last edited:

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dont cut the mounts off your hub. it honestly wont save you shit, and your hub will just look crappy. maybe save up and get profile hubs or something.

Sketchy

Likes Dirt
yes I think pesling would be the number 1 person to help on this one, im assuming you have probly checked his blog and forums already on all the light parts he reviews. Anyway KHE tires would be a good start, for tubes shwable xx light i think there called and most of what you had already planned to do should help on the weight and not sure about cutting disc mounts off though, just get a new hub. Oh and did you just order your stem because i tryed to order mine about 3 weeks back and this is when underboss stems where out of stock so im assuming there back in stock now from what it said on the black market site?

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First of all, why're you running 24 on a Black Market? Technically, they're far too long and low to be any good with little wheels.

If you want to make a big reduction without running silly XC bits, get some light rigids, a light, boutique, BMX spaced 24 specific frame and some light BMX hubs laced to Rhyno Lites.

Don't bother swapping the Kenda NPJs to KHEs, the NPJs are light already.

Edit: Just saw you're running Atomlab Pimps and a TN hub. That's where most of your weight is. Read that ^^^ advice per the wheels, or get NPJ hubs if you must stick with the Riot.

Last edited:

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Freaking wheels! Heavy as. Apart from that, yeah rigid if you want to. Then you'd want to look at a CrMo bar but you'd still be saving weight.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Ditch those pedals and get Wellgo MG-1's. Easily beat any platform pedal on the market in terms of weight, and if you go super exotica and get them set up on ti spindles, they KILL all competitors.

xero

Supersports
The KHE 24" tyres weigh in @477g
I believe the Kenda NPJ 24" runs around the 593g mark......

Rotational weight is always a good place to start saving grams.

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was on a weight reduction rampage I would grab a set of Shimano Hones, ryno lite rims, thomson x4 stem, thomson elite seat post and Wellgo mg52 pedals.

Or you could run a ti spindle with your Profiles so you don't sacrifice strength. Personally I love profiles:D

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes I think pesling would be the number 1 person to help on this one, im assuming you have probly checked his blog and forums already on all the light parts he reviews. Anyway KHE tires would be a good start, for tubes shwable xx light i think there called and most of what you had already planned to do should help on the weight and not sure about cutting disc mounts off though, just get a new hub. Oh and did you just order your stem because i tryed to order mine about 3 weeks back and this is when underboss stems where out of stock so im assuming there back in stock now from what it said on the black market site?
Yeah the underboss stems are back in stock. Ordered mine like tuesday and was told It would be in next week. Im going to sell my riot to a mate and get a contraband.

First of all, why're you running 24 on a Black Market? Technically, they're far too long and low to be any good with little wheels.

If you want to make a big reduction without running silly XC bits, get some light rigids, a light, boutique, BMX spaced 24 specific frame and some light BMX hubs laced to Rhyno Lites.

Edit: Just saw you're running Atomlab Pimps and a TN hub. That's where most of your weight is. Read that ^^^ advice per the wheels, or get NPJ hubs if you must stick with the Riot.
KHE's are a fair bit lighter then NPJs, hence why I wont to get some to lighten up my wheels instead of buy whole new wheels. Also I think Npj hubs are a bit weighty and how do you know riots feel like shit on 24s? you probly
havent riden one on 24s so you cant say shit really. It feels nice, a few of my mates would rather it over their bikes and they are those 26" for lyfe kind of kids.. Im going to sell my riot to a mate anyway and get the Blk Mrkt contraband when it comes out

Oh and about cutting the brake mounts off the front hub, its rather just for the look then the weight. I dont really wont to spend money on buying a new hub and pay for spokes and lacing. and plus i dont think they make a QR hub with out brake mounts.

EDIT: Oh and I thought PC pedals were as light as wellgo MG1's? only cheaper? they must be light if pesling is running them on his Mob. Also, If i was to get a chromo bar I would probly be adding weight. Blk Mrkt bar and stem combo is 535 grams. Lights chromo bar I know is the Gusset open prisom at 425 grams.. chromo bar and stem would be adding not saving I think.. well unless you know of a BMX stem thats like 110 grams.

Last edited:

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
KHE's are a fair bit lighter then NPJs, hence why I wont to get some to lighten up my wheels instead of buy whole new wheels. Also I think Npj hubs are a bit weighty and how do you know riots feel like shit on 24s? you probly
havent riden one on 24s so you cant say shit really. It feels nice, a few of my mates would rather it over their bikes and they are those 26" for lyfe kind of kids.. Im going to sell my riot to a mate anyway and get the Blk Mrkt contraband when it comes out
No, I've never ridden a Riot with 24", but have you ridden a tiny, bmx-spaced, 24 specific frame?

Riots are long. They're jump frames. Your bike might feel good, but other frames would feel much, much better. Unless you're a giant, lanky fuck, or you ride big, flowy trails, then there are far better choices for you.

RevellBikes said:
EDIT: Oh and I thought PC pedals were as light as wellgo MG1's? only cheaper? they must be light if pesling is running them on his Mob.
He's running MG1s now.

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh and about cutting the brake mounts off the front hub, its rather just for the look then the weight. I dont really wont to spend money on buying a new hub and pay for spokes and lacing. and plus i dont think they make a QR hub with out brake mounts.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done mate you found the NS simple I beleive it is ;).. If you noticed Im running a QR hub with a 20mm fork. The Xeno forks come with 20mm to QR adapters so you can run a QR front hub, tho a Normal QR front skewer doesnt fit (to short) so you need to use a rear QR skewer (perfect length). So in other words that bolt up hub wouldnt fit unless I make a axle to fit and farrrkk that.

EDIT: and Im pritty sure it says in that quote that I dont wont to buy a new hub and pay for spokes and lacing..

Last edited:

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't get all condescending with me.

RevellBikes said:
tho a Normal QR front squar doesnt fit
I take it you mean a skewer?

All the advice I've given you has been valid.

Take it or leave it, mate.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I take it you mean a skewer?[/I]
Fixed. It was good advice, I just dont wont a new front hub, hubs or wheels mate.. Like Ive said few times before now. Im sorry, I should of stated that in my first post, I will fix that now.

How does one go about getting Ti bolts? Ive heard you can buy kits of ebay, are they quality? Can you get Ti bolts from you a hardware store? Im pretty clueless as to where to buy them from.

shred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't get all condescending with me.

I take it you mean a skewer?

All the advice I've given you has been valid.

Take it or leave it, mate.
i would leave it personally, you seem to be coming across like you know everything and its either your way or the high way type thing, spose your coming across as abit of an arse.

anyway i would just do what you're gunna do.

| D | M | R |

Likes Dirt
Hope Pro 2/3 Hubs
Spank Subrosa Rims ( 565 Grams Each )
Schwalbe Folding Table Top Tires
Maxxis Fly Weight Tubes
TI Spindle
Magnesium pedals With TI Axle

ect...

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hope Pro 2/3 Hubs
Spank Subrosa Rims ( 565 Grams Each )
Schwalbe Folding Table Top Tires
Maxxis Fly Weight Tubes
TI Spindle
Magnesium pedals With TI Axle

ect...
I said no to rims or hubs or wheels... Next year I probly will, tho i will probly be getting KHE tyres and light weight tubes.

Hmm well since everyone is suggesting wheels, Let me know what you would build for a light and strong wheel set?

fairy1

Banned
Ha you got more suggetions for wheels than the shit you actually wanted.

I just had a set of wheels built, Syncros DS-28's Hadley rear(already had it, wouldn't waste my money on another) Goltec Front(185g) and some fancy pants DT spokes. Weigh 2100g W/O axles.

Wait til you trash your wheels, no point waisting money. Middleburn cranks are stupid light with an awesome warranty.

Zonenschein stems are just under 200g and are built for DH they also have a nice light deep press headset that is supposed to be bulletproof. Use Alien seatposts weigh Ten Tenths of sweet FA dunno if they will be strong enough though.