LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Autobahn has a Cree XML2 headlamp for $40. The headlamp mount looks like it could be ideal for Helmet mounting.

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
After scrolling through the thread, I decided to jump on board the el cheapo bandwagon for the Mont.

Ive ended up buying 2x 1800 lumen lights and 1x diffuser for handlebars.

Here's how Ive mounted them

I also arranged lights for some mates, decided to have a play with them.

Having never ridden at night, I should probably go for test run... But what's the worst that can happen?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Battery mount looks the goods but I reckon the cables might cause probs for your bike mounted light.

Reece_STP2

Likes Bikes
I was thinking that they might cause some problems. I figure I can easily flip the light around and it should clear most of the cables but will just leave the light open to a thrashing if I decide to eat dirt (highly likely).

link1896

Mr Greenfield
DIY 3000Lumen helmet light here we come

whilst on 2 months paternity leave, one of my projects is going to be a new helmet light. Sick of the POS solarstorm copy.

the Cree MT-G2 at 6 volts 3 amps @ 25deg c puts out 3000LM. thats fuck off bright. a brand new Osram H4 55watt halogen headlight in a GOOD car headlight reflector is at best 1500 lumens. :)

still assessing lens and driver options, and pondering heatsink design. wondering if I can DIY heatpipes or adapt a computer VGA/northbridge heatpipe style cooler. Weight on the helmet is a big thing for me. Also need to think about how not to end up with a dangerous helmet, have a moment and implant a copper assembly into my brain. hmm

2mtg2oncopper.jpg

Roasted Chicken

Likes Bikes
For a driver I would suggest going with a b3flex, has programmable current settings up to 3amp and has modes optimised for the bike. http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut750
Not sure what housings are out there as its been a long time since I did a DIY light. Cutter also has a couple of reflectors suitable and aren't too expensive so could buy a couple and choose the best beam pattern. As its a helmet light you don't want it too wide but given it is 3000 lumens who cares if you spill a bit off to the sides.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
am thinking of using H6FLEX with a 433mhz remote control system from the bars so I can configure helmet and bar lights. maybe motorbike style bar controls.

Motorcycle-ATV-Bike-7-8-Handlebar-Turn-Signals-Light-On-Off-Switch-Control-12V-Free-shipping.jpg

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
So at 85deg C it outputs 1900lumens, seems you will have to keep it cool to get your 3000 lumens.

The beam is much more important that the total output, if you can get a pattern like a Light & Motion light it would be amazing but I don't have the patience to try a million reflectors. I can't remember the figure but I think you need to quadruple the light to make it look twice as bright to the human eye so going from 2000 to 3000 lumens is cool on the internet but may not be a massive benefit on the trail.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep, perception of luminance is logarithmic and I seriously doubt I can heatsink 12watts safely, reliability is my main goal, along with beam uniformity. I might be able to do away with any reflector or TIR lens and just use an aperture for beam control.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Still, under driving that light would probably be more efficient than running a lesser emitter to it's maximum? Most of the cheap lights have lots of metal and sweet FA surface area so if they get hot they stay hot for a long time. My rubbish Nukeproof light ended up with a bunch of divots from a countersinking thingy to try to increase surface area, seemed to run a bit cooler but was still a shitful light, just like my Execcon and Magicshine, L&M from now on for me.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt
Subscribed. Im in the process of researching and building my own bar mount light. Interested to see what you come up with aswell :D

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Winter's approaching - Need your light suggestion.

Hi guys,

With winter approaching, and less daylight hours... I'm in need of some lights.
looking at getting a set of lights for night rides/safety when commuting.

I remember looking at Ay-ups a few years back, but I'm sure there are better and greater things now.

What are your recommendations?