List of online Aus Bike Stores

Ty

Eats Squid
bah, support your LBS, only use online shops as a reference, most good bike shops will match the price for you, an online store isn't going to stay back to build a wheel for you @ 6pm on a friday arvo because you have a race early saturday

*rant over

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
heh, I mainly use online stores as a price check.. On the other hand they can sometimes be a great deal cheaper than the LBS's. Toowoomba in particular the LBS's have done absolutly nothing for us. Why should we support them?

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
Yeah but I you live in a secluded place (Darwin) and the LBS isnt as helpful as they can be. They also charge wat they like so it is better/cheaper for me to use online shopping.

I can build my bike and repair it, the only thing I am not sure about is the wheels.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
A toowoomba bikeshop would be lucky to be able to build a wheel. Scince the only good shop moved to brissy we've had no hope of getting any support from our bikeshops.

Ty

Eats Squid
sorry i forgot about you "country folk," personaly like to support the local shops that support racing/ trail maintaince/ jump building, i relise many bike shops aren't that involved in the local sport or are just in it for the money and don't know what they are doing anyway.

DOM

Eats Squid
yeah ... no ranting about NRG .. but i had Merv stay back one night till 9 .. building my new bike for a race Sat mornning .. though NRG are out of my way big time .. ive been looked after .

Some online shops tend to only push stock .. no customer service.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I think what alot of people understand when they are purchasing a part online is that all they are getting is the part. Any service on top of that is bonus. There are some things that do not require any service (or shop front for that matter). I purchase alot of computer parts online all the time from a place without a shop front and is entirely online (they dont even have a ph. no.). I dont want to be able to ring up with the store for tech support etc cause I know enough to get me by. That noted, for those people out there who arn't as confident working their way around a bike (fixing etc) you would be much better off purchasing at your LBS as you will get the extra assistance you require.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
I agree with Pana about the Toowoomba stores, they overcharge big time, they're all Roadie focussed and know nothing about MTB (at least not higher end gear like we're all using), and have limited stock (and i worked at a toowomba bike store for a while, so i saw it from the inside too).
Plus like msbhvn said, i can do pretty much anything on my bike, i've got way more chance of being able to bleed hydraulic brakes, or rebuild a set of Boxxers than most of the LBS's around here, so all i really need most of the time is someone to provide me with the parts i need at a reasonable price.
The other thing to note is that it's usually quicker by far for me to order from a store in Melbourne that has something in stock, than to go to my LBS and wait for them to order it in, and be charged for the priveledge.
Sorry if i sound like i'm ranting, but Toowoomba MTB'ers haven't got the best run with bike shops in the last few years. Maybe i should start my own...

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its funny isnt it, Toowoomba has a strong mountain biking community, but no decent LBS. We have been ripped off so hard for so long. If there was a lbs here that wanted to support us, then im sure they would get all of our business very quickly. Pity they haven't stopped to think about that.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Yea you guys are right, there is not much different around here [small world? :?]. Most of the bike shops tend to focus on road bikes and parts and BMX. Lol, to tell you the truth I have never really seen a decent MTB up for sale in any of my local bike shops.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
its a tough market thats for sure. I work in a shop and if i found a deal on the web that was super cheap then i would take it. Although this usually only happens with the bigger american companies like supergo.com.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
thats the other thing these days, with the Australian dollar being not too bad, you can get some good prices from overseas.

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
but fellas please be confident on the shop that you are buying off when supplying you credit crd for the means of purchae. My dad lost nearly $5000 by someone that somehw got his card number. Lucky enough ANZ Bank gave him the money back though.

Beware that is all

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
supergo.com is good. myself and friedns have bought gear fomr them in the past. Freight is the only issue. Can cost ya sometimes.

nathan

Likes Dirt
Yeh what the other Toowoomba guys say. Being from Toowoomba I either shop online (phantom) or go down to Brissy to get my bike stuff. Its not worth going to the LBS because 9 times out of 10 you know more than they do and it just pisses you off. And if you do want to buy something from them its over priced or they have got the product but someone in Brisbane wants it so they send it down to them, or your waiting for them to get something in and ask them to put it under the counter for you cause you cant get down there till tommorow they say na youll be right we wont sell it and when you get down there the next day they have sold it. Not giving a stuff about their locals. Why support them when they dont support you.

The only decent shop in TMBA was A1 cycles (Frank). He knew what he was on about, but hes gone now. Sux

S.

ex offender
Personally, I would never buy anything from VicMTB (especially online - their webpage gets updated roughly annually). If you want to know why, PM me and I'll give you the details... I don't want to be accused of slandering them in public (despite the fact that they deserve it).

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moved post: Not an aussie online website, but nonetheless a company that will ship from usa to aus....make up your own mind.

User who posted the following: Freeze

Hi all, if anyone buys from the states at all, I am a small company that caters to australia quite a bit. I carry all types of hardcore freeride and downhill gear. Check out my site and drop me a line anytime!www.dropnzone.com