Litening my bicycle.

magni

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, i'm prepared to spend ABIT of money on getting down the G's. So what can i do that will make a good difference?
I'll be getting those flyweight tubes and what is a reasonably light freeridy type tyre?
Cheers fellers
By the way does anyone know how much my pedals weigh? (Dice comps)

(08 Mongoose Khyber Elite)
# Color(s): Blue/White fade
# Size(s): S, M, L
# Frame: FreeDrive AM/FR 6.5" (165 mm) travel
# Fork: Marzocchi 55 TST2, 160 mm travel, air spring, rebound, compression, preload adjust and 20 mm tool free axle
# Rear Shock: Marzocchi Roco Air R Piggy Back, air spring with rebound adjust and piggy back reservoir. (8.5x2.5")
# Crankset: FSA Moto X, 24/36T/bash guard w/ pedal insert
# Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo external bearing
# Pedals: Dice
# Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
# Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.7 mid cage
# Shifters: SRAM X.7 Impulse trigger 9 speed
# Freewheel: SRAM PG-950 11-34T 9 speed
# Chain: KMC Z-9200 silver/black
# Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR, 32°
# Tires: Kenda 26x2.35 Nevegal DTC, folding bead
# Front Hub: Mongoose 20 mm thru axle Alloy Disc 32°
# Rear Hub: Shimano FH-M530 disc, 8/9 speed cassette, 32°
# Spokes: Stainless steel
# Nipples: brass UCP
# Front Brake: Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc, 180 mm rotor
# Rear Brake: Hayes Stroker Trail hydraulic disc, 160 mm rotor
# Brake Levers: Hayes Stroker Trail, tool free reach adjust
# Handlebar: Funn 6061AL ,30 mm rise, 31.8 mm
# Stem: Funn Rippa 65 mm, 10°
# Grips: Jet black
# Headset: FSA Orbit E 1.5" to 1-1/8" conversion, internal bearing
# Saddle: WTB Pure V Race w/ cromo rails
# Seat Post: M-logo 2014 alloy w/ double bolt integral head 300/350mm length 31.6mm
# Seat Clamp: Alloy Q/R

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I would reccommend you look at getting a new cassette as it would save you about 150-300 grams. A new bar and stem would also save a bit of weight. Also a mew seat and seat post could save you about 300 grams.

You can save a whole lot of weight depending n the amount of money you have and the strength you still want to reatin or gain.

Have a look on www.sicklines.com they have weights of alot of parts you you can see exactly what weight you will save instead of advertised weights which can't be trusted for example marzocchi weight their forks without crowns and some with out oil.

magni

Likes Dirt
I would reccommend you look at getting a new cassette as it would save you about 150-300 grams. A new bar and stem would also save a bit of weight. Also a mew seat and seat post could save you about 300 grams.

You can save a whole lot of weight depending n the amount of money you have and the strength you still want to reatin or gain.

Have a look on www.sicklines.com they have weights of alot of parts you you can see exactly what weight you will save instead of advertised weights which can't be trusted for example marzocchi weight their forks without crowns and some with out oil.
Beauty, thanks Ben that was quite helpfull:rolleyes: And by the way is anyone able to reccomend me any specific parts?

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are no particularly heavy parts.....Basically you are going to need to go for exotic ($$$$) parts that will probably save you 50 grams for $500.....

Start thinking carbon fibre seatposts.....
6" rotors are a maybe (if its for more all mountain/trail) and keep a 7" on the front.

What do you use it for? All round? Light downhill?
Consider having a DH wheelset and an XC wheelset

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey mate, it all depends what sort of riding your doing. you can bring it down a bit but it is often very costly and can compromise strength.

regarding dice pedals, i do know that they weigh alot for pedals but not sure on exact figures. ill go and weigh a pair when i get a chance.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the pedals are heavy (I'm not too sure) check out the Wellgo MG1's. Light as anything, and pretty damn grippy for the price (50 bucks.)

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
To rop a bit of weight without compramising alot of strength I would reccomend some new pedals, seatpost and seat.

I would recommend you have a look at the following:

Pedals - either the Wellgo MG1s as already mentioned or some Deity Decoy pedals

Seatpost - SDG Carbon I beam post.

Seat - SDG I Fly

I recon this would save around 500g.

If you are fairly light and run average to high tire pressures you may also want to try running some light weight tubes. You could save about 200g for a pair of tubes if not more.

Jack456

Likes Dirt
if you've got the money some fox 36 talas or float would save a heap of weight and some single ply maxxis highrollers ine maybe 2.35 would also save a fare bit

Pinner

Likes Dirt
For a big weight saving that doesn't cost much....

... go ghetto tubeless. if you already have single ply tyres, and assuming that they weigh no more then 900g each, the weight saving of the tube is about 200g. Total saving 400g of rotating mass, and the bike will accelerate better as well.

If you know someone who can build wheels, replace your spokes with 1.8 double butted, this saves another 60g per wheel, which is also rotating mass.

If you are not doing full on DH racing, you don't really need a 8" front rotor, flick it for a 6", that's another 100 grams, also rotating mass.

Last edited:

glorified

Squid
you could just get a trek session 88. That would just about make everything easier. It weighs like 15kg. But then again to buy a trek you have to have a bit of money and be a good rider or you will just get bagged out.

I live in the shire and i know 2 people that have treks.

magni

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps guy's, i'm doing just about everything but i must say i'm not doing much downhill, i'd say mostly cross country and commuting.
Anyways heres what i'm thinking of so far from all your idea's....

#Wellgo MG-1's
#Continental vertical protection tyres(Have herd good things about them)
#Or single ply high roller.
#Light weight tubes
# And i'm having a quik look into the seat and seat post.

Thanks alot for the info everyone and you can think of anything else, Please let me know.
Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!