Liteville 301 MK10 160/160 - now 650b!

Yellm

Likes Bikes
1 x 10 drivetrain update

The current 1x10 trend combined with the target of a no-compromise sub 12kg 160mm bike the drivetrain setup has been changed to a 1x10 system.

Changes:

- Tune crank raplaced by XTR crank and BB
- 24t and 36t Chainrings replaced by 34t Carbocage chainring
- XTR FD replaced with ISCG mounted Carbocage DH Mini Guide with TACO bash plate
- removed: left hand shifter and Syntace SCS guide

Weight saving 370g

Total weight now 11.88kg (without pedals)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i thought for a second you'd removed the rotors in an effort to save weight as well, :lol:

beautiful piece of work.

Yellm

Likes Bikes
650b conversion

No Mitchy, no rotors removed ;-) I know it looks like it, thought so too... ;-)

What is next 650b wheels? Will keep you posted.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
You say that you run the clutch mech in the off position and that you will get a non clutch mech next time. Is this because there is not enough clearance for the switch to operate in the engaged mode?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You say that you run the clutch mech in the off position and that you will get a non clutch mech next time. Is this because there is not enough clearance for the switch to operate in the engaged mode?
With the Syntace tensioner you do not need the clutch mechanism on the rear derailleur, and the cable routing is a bit tighter with the clutch in the 'on' position. I found it inconsistent getting into the largest cog on the back with the clutch on.

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
I've always been curious about the 301 and your build has me sold! Looks like a fantastic bike. I'd love to do one up for light xc/trail duties. Roughly how much did the initial build cost you? (if you don't mind me asking.)

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Hi vtviz,

as crank1979 has pointed out, no, this is not the case. The SCS chainguide does a fantastic job of keepting the drivetrain very quite, very much like the clutch mechanism does on bikes that don't have a SCS chainguide. It is tight with the space for the gear cable between switch and horst link, but it is no issue, just a bit of wear on the plastic housing, nothing dramatic.

Interestingly, when I switched to the single ring set up up front with the CARBOCAGE guide, I then switched the clutch on as the chain noise was now driving me mad all of a sudden, and in combination with the CARBOCAGE chainguide I use the clutch now.

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Build costing

I've always been curious about the 301 and your build has me sold! Looks like a fantastic bike. I'd love to do one up for light xc/trail duties. Roughly how much did the initial build cost you? (if you don't mind me asking.)
I don't mind you asking ;-) I'll run through the costing of the bike...

Frame: $2590
headset, seatpost clamp $145.-
Rockguard $49.90
SCS chainguide $159
Grinder rockring $98
dropper post shim $39.90
cranks $799
two colour upcharge $10.-
BB $125
wheels $1299
Brakes $698
rotors $200
stem $139
bars $209
grips $33
Above total: $5605 (with 15% package discount)

forks $1215
dropper post $405

chain $70
RD $215
FD $100
Shifters $220
Cassette $330
seat $200
tyres $180

Total $8540.-

Yellm

Likes Bikes
SCS guide no good?
Hi,

the SCS guide is great. It just wasn't neccesary with the Carbocage guide used as it has a lower roller. However, as there seems to be more drivetrain noise generated with the alloy CNC roller of the CARBOCAGE guide, I now run the rear mech with the clutch on, whereas with just the Syntace SCS guide, I found the drivetrain so quite that there was no need to run the RD with the clutch engaged.

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Wow, that chainguide is a touch more expensive than I had imagined. What was the two colour upcharge for?
The SCS may be expensive, but how often do you hear that someone has gone 1x just because of the headaches so often associated with regular FD/crank setups? With this FD/crank 2x ring drivetrain system with SCS you simply never drop the chain... and have the bonus of a QUIETE DRIVETRAIN without the regular chainslap noises, and contrary to other fragile solutions like the C-Guide, the SCS is very robust, in fact you could use it as a skid plate should you ever need to... and the glide segment which will eventually wear is replaceable.

The $10.- 2-colour upcharge is for a 2-colour crank (black arms, blue spider).

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Dilema: which wheel size to go for?!

Liteville has now already been on top in two Enduro tests using 650b up front and 26" on the rear. For those interested, I thought I'd post them here.

Enduro test #1: MountainBike 11/2012 - Liteville MK10 F650b/R26"

Other contenders:
- Cannondale Jekyll 1
- Cube Stereo Super HPC SLT
- Scott Genius 700 SL
- Specialized S-Works 29er

Kampf der Giganten.jpg
MountainBike: "Regardless if 29”, 27.5” or 26”: Mountain Bike went on the search for the best All Mountain concept for the 2013 season and ended up with the most expensive production bikes available. If this amount of luxury is worthwhile, will be clarified in this test."

Kampf der Giganten 2.jpg
MountainBike:
The 301 rivals the competition with a 650b wheel up front while a 26” wheel remains on the rear. Can the new concept convince?
Since 8 years, the duo Klieber and Grätz have been optimising the 301 with greatest attention to detail. Currently the 301 frame can be built with either 140mm or 160mm travel at the rear. Sent for this test was the 160mm variant with a new wheel size configuration. Not only, that the Syntace wheels with 35mm wide rim provide better support for the tyre , but the combination of 26” wheels on the rear and 27.5” up front provide an answer to the perfect wheel size. The idea behind this is simple: the smaller rear wheel allows a more compact 431mm rear end, whereas the larger front wheel is able to better roll over square edged bumps and obstacles. Sounds logical in theory right? But what does the test on the trail say?
The very wide support in the rim bed provides superior support, so that the tyres behave very well tempered and in extreme situations - even at a low air pressure of 1.6bar. Thanks to flat roll over angle the front wheel elegantly confronts the terrain, the short rear follows at the speed of light and generates manoeuvrability in switchbacks. The new concept obviously works. In rough high speed passages the 160mm rear holds all the aces. The sensitive Fox 34 Float and the capable four-bar horst link rear end harmonise and avidly absorb small and large hits alike. Here, the Liteville is far ahead of the competition. With its alloy frame the 301 doesn’t find it so easy to compete with the weight of the other carbon bikes, but clearly outdoes its competition in the frame stiffness test with a result of 88Nm/°. On the trail the stable chassis provides highest precision and conveys a feeling of confidence and faith. Easily the 301 can combat in the long travel (Gravity) Enduro category of bikes. On climbs, the comparatively heavy bike has a somewhat sedate manner, but this is also due to the wide wheels. However, the rear is free of pedalling influences and the rear provides plenty of traction. A travel adjust on the front end was not missed even on steep climbs.
CONCLUSION: The innovative mix of 27.5” and 26” definitely suits the 301 well. The wide rims and suitable tyre combination provide huge cornering traction. Who is in the search for a top end All-Mountain with balanced geometry, fantastic suspension characteristics and great (Gravity) Enduro potential – and has the necessary coin – should go for it.

Insets, top to bottom:
*Plenty of reserves: The testbike had 160mm travel at the rear. The frame can also be purchased with 140mm rocker arm.
*650B front: Liteville uses a mix of 650b (at the front) and 26” at the rear for the first time. With success?
*(Gravity) Enduro Genes: A shiftable guide mounted to the chainstays keeps the chain from slapping around l in rough terrain, the bash guard protects against toothloss.
+ harmonious wheel size concept
+ geometry and handling
+ harmonising front and rear suspension concept
+ stiff chassis

Enduro Test #2: bike 07/13

BIKE 07/13: "Which manufacturer can provide the best Enduro (Gravity Enduro / All Mountain) race bike for the race at the Gardesee Bike Festival? From more than 20 candidates, 8 manufacturers were selected for the test. The most coherent concepts provided are:
#1. Liteville 301 650b/26"
#2. Cube Stereo 650b
#3. Morewood Jabula 26"

Other bikes selected for the test:
Cannondale Jekyll
Transalpes BM 650b
YT Industries Wicked
Specialized Enduro 29er S-Works
GT Force LE

2013.06.12 Liteville 301 d.jpg
Bike on Liteville 650b/26": "Large up front, small at the rear. Liteville combines a larger front wheel with a conventional rear wheel. The slack head angle, the slightly better roll over characteristics, the large volume tyres with soft compound leave nothing to be desired for even at the challenging Gardasee terrain. Lightweight, yet still a solid build."

For those interested: The soft compound large volume tyres provided on the Liteville test bike are Schwalbe Magic Mary prototypes being developed in collaboration with Syntace/Liteville, and are designed for use on wide rims such as found on the Syntace W35 wheels on the test bike.

Yellm

Likes Bikes
Saw that. Seems to make more sense than the '69er' ideas. Out of interest do you know if the Liteville can go 650B at both ends?
Yes, can do, but it is frame size dependant. Liteville are taking a completely new approach to whole bike scaling with their "Scaled Sizing" concept. Surely somewhat fueled by the outstanding test results from the above two tests:

Liteville scaled sizing concept.jpg

For full frame size and wheel compatability:

Scaled sizing.jpg

Or link to Liteville:http://http://syntace.my1.cc/liteville/pdf/Scaled_Sizing_301Mk11_engl_ver-01.pdf

Yellm

Likes Bikes
650B conversion

Alright, the 301 has now been converted to 650b.

New wheels - Tune KingMK/Kong X-12 with 650b 32spoke FlowEX: 1712g
Old wheels - Tune KingMk/Kong X-12 Twenty4 26” 24 spoke wheels: 1540g.
---> + 172g for the bigger wheels (without tyres).

Obviously I wanted to keep big bag 650b tyres that would suit the AM use, but options in such a tyre in 650b are still limited.
For starters I’ve gone for following combination:

Front - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35” 650b, 705g.
width: 57.5mm, height: 704.5mm

Rear - Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25” 650b, 727g.
width: 56mm, height 699mm

---> total weight new tyres: 1432g.

Old tyres: Fat Albert 2.4" 745+765 = 1510g.
width: 61.5-63mm, height:685mm
---> 78g lighter tyres

New wheels (with tyres): 3270g
Old wheels (with tyres): 3149g
---> total weight increase due to bigger 650b wheels: 120g.

Top: new wheels. Bottom: old wheels

Front tyre: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35”

Rear tyre: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.25"

New front wheel...

Liteville 301 Mk10 160/160 converted to 650b, now 12.02Kg (without pedals)

The seal that comes with the Syntace seatpost reduction sleeve fits nice and snug to keep any dirt out.

Ride report will follow.