little noise

5PIDEY

Likes Dirt
i was just re-putting in my forks and when i had done everything up tight and stuck the brake back on and was riding around a bit to see if everything was right when i heard this weird sound. it sounds like the headset thing isnt tight enough, like the forks were a bit loose, so i tightened that up heaps and did the stem back up and the sound was still there, so i started tightening the heaset a bit more but i started feeling the bolt threading so i decided to stop, the sound comes when you lock the front brake and rock the bars back and foward, its the steerer tube rattling, is this bad in anyway?

A-ball bearing are loose
B-need new starnut because your ones buggered and doesn't clamp everything together
C-your not tightening it properly?

try get a new starnut and bolt if you say its threaded, its next to useless if its threaded and your going to smash your bearings like i did after a while.

5PIDEY

Likes Dirt
yeh i think my starnut might be buggered but it still tightens and everything, and its only when i tighten it to the max when it starts thread a bit.

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh when my headset/steerer tube area is loose, theres a "tang" noise while I use the front brake, or go off a drop or something.
Best to goto the LBS to get that adjusted cuz for some reason, they always know how to do things better than us....

MrPlow

TMBC
You have done everything right I assume?
They are forks that were already in that frame with that headset?

I would rock the bike back and forth (front brake locked) with your head over the bars looking at the top headset cup checking for movement.
If it looks ok check your disc (assuming) brake mount, then check your through axle/QR is tight (may be your wheel cones).
Then if still bad, start looking at your forks :?

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
You did tighten the headset properly- undo the stem bolts then tighten up the top one? Otherwise all you are doing is pulling the starnut up the steerer tube.

if so then it could be-
1. Bearings in the hub- either tighten (cup and cone) or replace
2. Bushings in the fork- with the front brake on wiggle the forks forwards and backwards and feel for movement just above the dust caps.
3. Front brake mounts- make sure the caliper is tight and the rotor is tight to the hub
4. feel the headset when you wiggle the front (with the brake on). If you can feel the headset moving it's time for a new one.
5. If none of the above then check the headtube for cracks as the frame may be opening up when you wiggle the front.

Hope this helps

mike&nat

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it could be the inside of your frame is wearing out, and the headset is lose so you need to just put a spaced cap in it

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it could also be that you didn't tighten your caliper on enough. I've had it happen before....