Living with a bike you're not sure on

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Having kids saved my marriage...

Wife and I have a standing agreement with each other: "you can leave any time you want, as long as you take the kids".
That's dark.

My wife and I have agreed that fancy boarding school is our safety word.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
As a fellow parent of 3 / Banshee Prime owner i can attest that high position dropouts, and adding 5 psi every ride did indeed improve my enjoyment of said Prime out of sight for Zero $$. It still weighs 15 kgs, but now rides more like i wanted it to , rather than a half cooked spaghetti monster.
Good to know. I haven't managed to look at mine yet other than putting 30psi in each tyre to take it to the pump track - idea was to try and ride it and adjust til it felt good and then measure when I got home. I'll swap the dropouts after I've messed with tyre pressure

I know it's not for everyone but I find running to be the best bang for buck exercise you can do. I'm running during lunch breaks at work or after the kids go to bed. Pretty brutal in Melbourne winter but the alternative is me moping about like the biggest sad sack on earth.
Occasionally I even enjoy it, although its still probably only 30% of the time.
I used to run before my knees disintegrated - finishing the Sydney City-to-Surf is one of my greatest achievements as someone who eats and drinks waaaay too much - and I got into road cycling as a low impact exercise before I tagged along mountain biking with some mates and got into it that way

Getting back to the bike, if buying/swapping/building a new one occupies the mind and brings joy, then it's money well spent.
If it is just to fill a hole in the hope it brings the above feelings, you are chasing the dragon
This hits pretty hard. Think I'm very much chasing the dragon

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
30psi in each tyre to take it to the pump track
If the pump track is your easiest access, and you don't want to grab a DJ beater for it, you'll want to be loading those tyres up a lot more! The shocks too. When I'm on hard pack riding little jump lines I'll usually run about 35psi each end, and blow that up around 45-60psi for track pumping and skate parking. I run about 15% sag in each end and very fast rebound.

Reactions: PJO

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This hits pretty hard. Think I'm very much chasing the dragon
You are not alone!
In fact, I picked up the Banshee for that reason and I'm starting a Chinese hardtail build because the Banhsee doesn't help for winter (fire road) riding.
It's not like I can't pedal the Titan up hills, so I'm guilty as charged!

The only reason the HT build is happening is because I found a bunch of old bikepacking gear I had and started selling. Raised a huge chunk of the total build price, which is all just random bits from mates and FB/Gumtree etc! I know the bikepacking is taking a back seat for the next 5-10 years, so I'm turning it into something else

Rorschach

If the pump track is your easiest access, and you don't want to grab a DJ beater for it, you'll want to be loading those tyres up a lot more! The shocks too. When I'm on hard pack riding little jump lines I'll usually run about 35psi each end, and blow that up around 45-60psi for track pumping and skate parking. I run about 15% sag in each end and very fast rebound.
The pump track is me taking the young fella out mainly, I just don't want to stand around so take my bike along. Its asphalt, so not too bad.

Rorschach

You are not alone!
In fact, I picked up the Banshee for that reason and I'm starting a Chinese hardtail build because the Banhsee doesn't help for winter (fire road) riding.
It's not like I can't pedal the Titan up hills, so I'm guilty as charged!

The only reason the HT build is happening is because I found a bunch of old bikepacking gear I had and started selling. Raised a huge chunk of the total build price, which is all just random bits from mates and FB/Gumtree etc! I know the bikepacking is taking a back seat for the next 5-10 years, so I'm turning it into something else
Half the reason I'm looking at a HT as well myself, to fill a perceived gap and have something to keep myself interested

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Rode my ebike today for the first time in a couple of weeks and it felt goddam terrible. When I put it away it was next level....Intend fork and EXT shock working in a fluttering harmony.....today it felt like a jackhammer and I didn't fucking like it. Thoughts entered my mind of selling it...lol it doesn't take much.

Rorschach

Bit of an update

Went for a hit-out on Saturday after pumping my tyres up to 28/30 f/r, flipping my dropouts and putting an extra 5psi in the forks (to 95psi, shock stayed the same). Had some rain the past few days so there was a lot of grip however a few things didn't go in my favour:
  • Left my shock locked out for the first half of the ride accidentally. Hucking a drop probably did my shock no favours
  • Started to feel really rough and light headed not long into the ride and spent a decent amount of it walking. Still feeling shitty today.
Impressions of the ride where I had my shock open and was feeling reasonable were positive, but will need a proper ride before settling. The front end got some twitchiness back, which I'd lost by moving to a 60mm stem, but feels less vague than it has done. Feels more direct, although the position needs some getting used to (and I need some core strength) so I can take some weight off my wrists as they're getting sore.
With the increased weight on the fork, it seems to sit more in its travel, which I quite like.
Rear end being a touch higher meant I used my dropper post more. I'm also only running a 150mm post, so think I'll be pulling a 180mm post purchase forward
The extra pressure in the tyres worked really well, but the rain has made the trails more grippy. I'll need to ride it in the dry and see if its a real benefit. Felt less draggy though.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of an update

Went for a hit-out on Saturday after pumping my tyres up to 28/30 f/r, flipping my dropouts and putting an extra 5psi in the forks (to 95psi, shock stayed the same). Had some rain the past few days so there was a lot of grip however a few things didn't go in my favour:
  • Left my shock locked out for the first half of the ride accidentally. Hucking a drop probably did my shock no favours
  • Started to feel really rough and light headed not long into the ride and spent a decent amount of it walking. Still feeling shitty today.
Impressions of the ride where I had my shock open and was feeling reasonable were positive, but will need a proper ride before settling. The front end got some twitchiness back, which I'd lost by moving to a 60mm stem, but feels less vague than it has done. Feels more direct, although the position needs some getting used to (and I need some core strength) so I can take some weight off my wrists as they're getting sore.
With the increased weight on the fork, it seems to sit more in its travel, which I quite like.
Rear end being a touch higher meant I used my dropper post more. I'm also only running a 150mm post, so think I'll be pulling a 180mm post purchase forward
The extra pressure in the tyres worked really well, but the rain has made the trails more grippy. I'll need to ride it in the dry and see if its a real benefit. Felt less draggy though.
Keep tinkering - has taken me over 12 months to get a setup I'm happy with on my current bike. Tried everything - new tyres, every suspension setting under the sun etc, but the thing that made the biggest difference was an extra 10mm spacer under the stem. Livened everything up, suddenly felt much more balanced on the bike.

Between adjustable geo, suspension tuning, tyre pressures and cockpit setup there's a massive range of variables. Can take some time to find the sweet spot.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I find I never really stop tinkering with damper settings and air pressures... Always fiddling and trying new things, especially between trails. And different tyres behave differently at a given pressure so a new brand of tyre is a new round of experimenting as well.

Rorschach

Wish I had a more recent one than below. Had to head offshore at short notice on 3rd August for some COVID coverage and haven't managed to get out since I got back on 12th

Solid hit out at Gunjin this morning, managed a couple of times up and down. A bit of walking but unsurprising with the shape I’m in and my headspace at the minute.
Been raining this week so grip for days.
Bike feels good, dropouts in high makes the bike ride really nicely and the 60mm stem takes the twitchiness out for the most part - I like a bit.
Need a longer dropper - anyone know if a 180mm OneUp will fit in a large Prime v3?

Also got an action shot (sort of - brother in law isn’t so good on the camera!)

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
Need a longer dropper - anyone know if a 180mm OneUp will fit in a large Prime v3?
Measure your current set up from seat rails to top of seat collar. If >=265mm you're golden.
180mm V2 is 480mm overall length from rails to bottom of post actuator and Prime V3 is 215mm max insertion.

If you're a bit longer than 265mm then you might get away with it because the actuator is 15mm long, depends on how much room there is near the pivot.