Lizard Rock relics

Daniel69

Likes Bikes
Hi i am a local resident mountain biker and i will have a look at it sometime this week or next and will consider whether i will 'stick' my hand up to restore it...... Looks to sick to be left like that..... anyway ill have a look and decide

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
We had a good walk through the other day, keen to help out, want to get the main line at least ridable (major trimming needed) also want to investigate extending the exit another 50 or so meters to the bottom of the hill if possible, so that you can ride out.

Good line going left just before fire trail descent starts (back before creek jump), might use that as the main line for the time being as its sustainable.

After thats done we can then rebuild the senders, landers and wood but neatly like oxy of late, so it wont get torn down.

Lots of landers, senders and berms just need a few barrows of dirt as they where built so well back in the day that the rocks underneath could be hit as is.

Once we get the main line working top to bottom, then we can add on the "extra's"

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of it can be seen in this vid

[video=youtube;DoldGtssLIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoldGtssLIQ[/video]
Looks great and just imagine how good it would be if the current lot of builder were let loose to build north shore stuff in there.

floody

Wheel size expert
The 'shore' looks like everything that was wrong in trailbuilding during the first half of this decade, from shady old structures to the wheelbarrow left behind. IMHO you should leave it to rot or clear it entirely. The rock features and earthwork being a different story of course.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had a good walk through the other day, keen to help out, want to get the main line at least ridable (major trimming needed) also want to investigate extending the exit another 50 or so meters to the bottom of the hill if possible, so that you can ride out.

Good line going left just before fire trail descent starts (back before creek jump), might use that as the main line for the time being as its sustainable.

After thats done we can then rebuild the senders, landers and wood but neatly like oxy of late, so it wont get torn down.

Lots of landers, senders and berms just need a few barrows of dirt as they where built so well back in the day that the rocks underneath could be hit as is.

Once we get the main line working top to bottom, then we can add on the "extra's"

Have you checked on the land ownership issues? With the advocacy work going on behind the scenes at oxy, it would be sensible to know a bit about landowner (or potentially landowners) before drawing attention to that side of the road again.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Have you checked on the land ownership issues? With the advocacy work going on behind the scenes at oxy, it would be sensible to know a bit about landowner (or potentially landowners) before drawing attention to that side of the road again.
Agreed, however there is nothing worse than trying to get a trail official with it abandoned and nobody riding it to show the need.

We are not talking about new trails,just triming up the main existing line,re soiling existing berms and senders so its rideable,top to bottom.

Same goes for oxy,for it to become official,all trails need to be sustainable and look neat in the environment they are in.

PM me for land manager/owner discussion.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed, however there is nothing worse than trying to get a trail official with it abandoned and nobody riding it to show the need.

We are not talking about new trails,just triming up the main existing line,re soiling existing berms and senders so its rideable,top to bottom.

Same goes for oxy,for it to become official,all trails need to be sustainable and look neat in the environment they are in.

PM me for land manager/owner discussion.

Come chat to me if you're up there this weekend. No intention to talk you out of re-vamping that side - just want to work out where it fits into advocacy plans for the area.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
I'm sure the residents will just LOVE you guys for re-opening another track!

Honestly it's asking for trouble.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
please rethink your post,maybe delete, pm is best
Mate , the tracks had it . The only way to clear the top section is by hammering on the road then onto the trail and it was great but there was fewer ridders and cars back then . As stated by some of the other members , by opening more tracks in that small area your risking the whole area . Its was a total shit fight up at OXI a few years back and frowned a pone by allot of the people that live there still . Put your effort into joining the trail crew that now do work on OXI contact , Bikes are Fun !

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Mate , the tracks had it . The only way to clear the top section is by hammering on the road then onto the trail and it was great but there was fewer ridders and cars back then . As stated by some of the other members , by opening more tracks in that small area your risking the whole area . Its was a total shit fight up at OXI a few years back and frowned a pone by allot of the people that live there still . Put your effort into joining the trail crew that now do work on OXI contact , Bikes are Fun !
Have already spoken to Bikes are Fun, we are on the same page, PM me for more details.

We are aware of the History of oxy and current advocacy

We already help out at oxy from time to time, where there on Sunday.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
I reckon this thread should be deleted.
Might be a good idea, we are cleaning up lizard rock, getting rid of all those rotting pallets etc we dont really want any reminders of how bad it looked of late ;) or maybe just touch up your last post a bit

Last edited:

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
The 'shore' looks like everything that was wrong in trailbuilding during the first half of this decade, from shady old structures to the wheelbarrow left behind. IMHO you should leave it to rot or clear it entirely. The rock features and earthwork being a different story of course.
Agreed, its very messy at the moment, we are trying to rectify it so that it looks neat and there is a chance it can become official with the other oxy trails if possible.

Last edited:

TODDZILLA

Squid
Years ago

Wow,

i used to live around the corner in Stroud Place, We rode our BMX bikes all over there back in late 70's early 80's before we knew what MTB was.

Regards,

Todd:pirate:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have already spoken to Bikes are Fun, we are on the same page, PM me for more details.

We are aware of the History of oxy and current advocacy

We already help out at oxy from time to time, where there on Sunday.

I wouldn't say we're on the same page. I'm just not going to be the one to tell you what to do, and what not to do.

So long as you're not hurting the advocacy process, I don't see a problem with trying to clean up an old line. But realistically, I feel as though long term access to that side of the road is a lost cause.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
So long as you're not hurting the advocacy process, I don't see a problem with trying to clean up an old line. But realistically, I feel as though long term access to that side of the road is a lost cause.
This is what I agree with, we are trying to clean up the main line,get rid of rotting wood,make it rideable and it will be in a visually much more attrative state for becoming official if its possible.If lizzard doesnt work long term at least we can say we tried,and its left nice and neat.

please rethink your post,maybe delete, pm is best
Might be a good idea, we are cleaning up lizard rock, getting rid of all those rotting pallets etc we dont really want any reminders of how bad it looked of late ;) or maybe just touch up your last post a bit
I didn't realise you were a mod or owned the right to free speech !!!

You talk advocacy Ben, and post regularly, but it looks like your more like you are a glory hound.
Stick with the Oxy builders, god knows they have enough problems, or butt out.