Lockout not working on Rockshox Super Deluxe Select+ shock

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
This is a new shock so it should not have any issues. The lockout on the shock initially worked perfectly. I have since ridden ~200km and I now find that the lockout on this Rockshox Super Deluxe Select+ shock is not working. After riding fireroads the oring indicator is at 20-30% sag. The shock has the correct pressure for my weight and the sag is set correctly. It is not bottoming out, etc.. when riding downhill.

I may have ridden it downhill with the lockout engaged (can’t remember).

Would it be worth getting the shop to check the IFP pressure?
Other than this are there any other troubleshooting steps that I can take?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Pretty normal for a shock to still move in "lockout" position. Its not a physical lock it just restricts fluid flow through a gallery internally. Essentially like winding your compression adjuster right in... Does it feel firmer locked out than fully open? Some shocks do this better than others.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I could be wrong but I’ve got a feeling I read somewhere (maybe a Norco review) that the super deluxe didn’t have a rock hard lockout cause it’s a more DH oriented design.

As above, does the lockout switch do anything? If not, does the LSC dial do anything?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I bought this from someone who took it off their new bike. Doubtful if I could get them to honour warranty.
Doubtful you could get SRAM to honour warranty or the person you bought it from? Surely the person you bought it from would be happy to call the shop and say that you were bringing it in for them??

SummitFever

Eats Squid
20-30% sag sounds normal with the lockout on. The lockout will not prevent the shock from sagging. Eg it doesn't lock at 0% travel.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It is very different compared to when I first rode it. 5-10% would be fine
I don't think that is possible, even on an XC shock with a stronger lockout. They still 'lock-out' around the sag point.

Notwithstanding, if you are sure it's different then when brand new possibly there is an issue with the shock. You could send it off for a service (not cheap) if you think warranty is not an option. May be worth contacting the SRAM service centre to ask though.

No chance it was just performing poorly when new so felt more 'locked'? Have you changed the air pressure since the lockout felt good?

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
I went and checked a new bike in a shop that has the exact same shock.
Low and behold it performs exactly like the shock on my bike. So maybe it was just in my head that the lockout was better before on this shock. Maybe I'm thinking of the lockout on the shock that I took off which was a Rockshox Deluxe.
Ah well. Doing nothing is a cheap fix I suppose.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I went and checked a new bike in a shop that has the exact same shock.
Low and behold it performs exactly like the shock on my bike. So maybe it was just in my head that the lockout was better before on this shock. Maybe I'm thinking of the lockout on the shock that I took off which was a Rockshox Deluxe.
Ah well. Doing nothing is a cheap fix I suppose.
Yeah, I think the Deluxe has a stiffer lockout.