Locks

Which locks can be cut through and which cannot...assumng D locks is tough as.

As well, which part of the bike do you lock up and how many locks do you use?

Thanks
Goat

all locks can be cut through....some harder than others

no lock stands a chance against an angle grinder, but if the assailant uses a bolt cutter you might have more luck.

U/D locks are the 'safest' out of all the types of locks...esp smaller sized/diameter ones as the size physically restricts the ability to put a car/tyre jack into it or from leverage attacks.

there are many techniques to locking up the bike.... 2 different locks are probably the best way to ensuring your ride stays safe

Lock 1: Used to secure your front wheel to your fork/frame, a cable lock is usually the best one to use, as you can wrap it around your wheel -> inside fork stanchions/crown/lowers -> front triangle ->pole

Lock 2: Used to secure your bike to the pole, usually the heavier duty U-lock...... a technique most people dont know is to simply lock your rear wheel/rim where it is located inside your rear triangle..... no need to wrap it around frame aswell, as its impossible to take the frame with the wheel still attached (hope that makes sense)

also a cable wrapped under the seat rails (assuming theres enough room) and around the frame should be enough of a deterrent

another theory I have, is to lock it up next to a nice bike with a shit(shit'er) lock than yours.... so if anything was to be stolen...it wont be yours

did hours of research (hence my findings) and ended up purchasing 2x Abus Locks and a cable, German made/engineered. A good mate (G-fish) recommended against Kryponite as they were heavier/inferior to Abus (bring on flame?)
but it seems if you were to go Kryptonite, the Fagetaboutit(?) would be the Kryptonite to get...otherwise the NewYork series if you must. Another benefit of Kryptonite is how easily recognisable they are...so that in-itself might be a good deterrent for thieves to save time and steal something else?

I however settled for:

- Abus Granit 54 X-Plus (not cheap $115~)
http://www.wiggle.com.au/abus-granit-54-x-plus-300mm-d-lock/

- 2m Kryptoflex cable $20
http://www.wiggle.com.au/kryptonite-kryptoflex-7-foot-cable-bike-lock/

- Abus U-Bolt mini Red $75
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Brands/Abus/U-Bolt-Red-Mini-Lock

89BCEBAF-F268-4801-B207-D60971C1E0D1-5550-0000061D277E7F2A_zpsaacde766.jpg

edit:
if you arent on a budget..... theres this:
http://www.wiggle.com.au/abus-granit-extreme-59-26cm-bike-d-lock/

Last edited:
I like chops reply. Looked into this a little while ago to protect my sons bike at school - and the Abus range are excellent products that consistently get good scores against battery angle grinders, can't be levered part etc.

There are a number of reviews done by police etc on locks - especially relevant to read London experiences as to how to avoid theft and the products thieves avoid.

Even though I lock my bike up in a fully enclosed concrete and steel swipe-access enclosure when I ride to work - I lock it up with an onguard 15mm key cable lock (wrapped through the wheels and frame in a rather confusing manner) and an onguard U-lock.
When I used to ride to uni and lock my bike up in the swipe access bike storage I would add an extra key cable lock to the mix. Yes, it takes you an extra few minutes to lock your bike up, but at least its going to take an extra few minutes for someone to steal it...

And make sure you take all lights/computers etc off your bike when locking it up - thieving dickheads love that stuff.

My current lock is a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock. Stoked with it. Its the first lock I've had which I feel 100% confident with leaving my pushie overnight at work with if I head out for afterworkies or whatever. There's actually a couple of bubbled up marks on my frameskin over some little dents in the toptube where someone's clearly tried to jack it open, and I've still got my bike, so I'm happy. It is however, super heavy so I dont carry it around, just leave it at work and use it there exclusively. Would be interested in something similar which is a bit more portable

I'm using a pretty thick Kryptonite cable/key lock.
I just lock around the top tube to whatever is solid... a tree, poles, bike rack, railings, etc.

I never lock my bike up somewhere and leave it for long though, usually only when running in and out of a store/supermarket, and generally somewhere I can half keep an eye on it.

I'd never leave it somewhere overnight, or all day... not with any kind of lock, chain, fortress, fort knox...
A determined thief will steal your shit somehow, regardless of where it is or how it's locked up, and if they can't steal it... they'll break it.

The amount of broken and bent up bikes I see still chained to something in the city is crazy.

One oft he best ways to protect your bike if it's an expensive one, is not to lock it in the same place all the time . If it's a high value item, a thief can predict whereas going to be , the best time to approach it, and what to bring to break the lock.

Put a MOFO lock on it, and don't be predictable.

Abus D-Locks are the shit. Just get one of those.

A while back I was shown an Abus D-Lock that someone had attempted to hacksaw through. Didn't work. Then they tried to rip apart the lock mechanism, all the plastic and stuff was ripped off it and bits of the locking mechanism exposed.
Now this all came to light because owner of said lock tried claiming warranty on it. So conversation went a bit like this.

Warranty Guy: That's really shit. Was it an expensive bike?
Punter: Err sorry, why is that important?
WG: I was just wondering if they made off with off with a really nice bike or your pub bike?
Punter: Oh. No they didn't get the bike.
WG: So the lock did it's job then?
Punter: Yeah I guess so.

They ended up sorting him out anyway but seeing the abuse that lock took and still did it's job has sold me on Abus locks. Also, locks are what Abus do. They aren't a light or spare parts manufacturer that happens to do locks, they are a lock manufacturer that happen to make bike locks.

I'm also pretty sure that the Abus D-Locks can't be swung around once locked so even if you hacksawed through the stupid hard steel you still wouldn't be able to get the bike. You'd need to hacksaw it twice to remove the whole D section.

As for how to lock up your bike. Best way is through the rear wheel and seat-tube because it reduces the dead space within the D making it harder to pry the lock open with a crowbar and more awkward to hacksaw.

If there's more than one bike around it only needs to be less appealing to steal than the bike next to it by
a) being the less attractive bike, the thief may not bother stealing an old dunger
or
b) being locked up like a mo fo. Identical bikes with different locks, the theif will take the bike with the easier lock to crack.

If you don't want to be the victim ride an old dunger and lock it up like a mo fo.

I use D locks only on my bikes. I don't ride an old dunger so even with the D Lock I don't let it out of my sight for long.

I have managed very well with my Krypto D Lock keeping my HT safe. I generally like to lock the rear wheel, and frame to something sturdy. Recently bought my Dually and the D Lock is not big enough to use this same method, so I am looking at getting a strong cable to attach to the D Lock.

Back