Locksmith help

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I figured someone on here is a chippy or a locksmith, or at least has a dubious past. I've come home tonight to a well munted deadlock on my rear door (the mother in law has been here and swears she didn't touch it - yeah right:mad: ) so I need to remove the lock from the door to replace it, but it has those screw heads that won't let you unscrew them. So the question of the day, how the hell do I undo these screws?

Thanks guys
Dunk

Mur

Likes Bikes
i think he wants to know how to get them out^^^^^
sorry, no idea from me, appart fromn drill them out, but u could stuff something up doing that

protecon

Likes Dirt
Mur said:
i think he wants to know how to get them out^^^^^
sorry, no idea from me, appart fromn drill them out, but u could stuff something up doing that
In order to remove them, you need to buy a set of Torx bits.
That's how you get them out.

Go-ran

Squid
Well, I'm not sure what type of screw you have, but if you have the ones that you can easily screw on using an regular flat-bladed screwdriver, but can't undo them, (if they have a counterclockwise slope on their head)..

Well, the only thing is to grind them out... Can't come up with notthing else...

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There not torx heads, but the heads that screw in like Go-ran has described. I need to get outside!!!!!! My washing is on the line:eek:

toodles

Wheel size expert
tamperproof screws... you got a drill? hit them with that. Otherwise, a chisel will either knock the heads off or punch the face deep enough to turn with a regular screwdriver. A sharp drill is really your best bet for getting past a locked/seized deadlock.

protecon

Likes Dirt
How exactly is the lock "munted"?
If you can't turn the barrel with the keys, then you won't be able to remove the lock from the door anyway.

RCOH

Eats Squid
If you have a hammer & a sharp punch you can tap them counter clockwise to undo them. Takes a while though.

As a qualified but no longer practising locksmith perhaps I can be of assistance?

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RCOH said:
If you have a hammer & a sharp punch you can tap them counter clockwise to undo them. Takes a while though.

As a qualified but no longer practising locksmith perhaps I can be of assistance?
good suggestion. You could punch the rivets from the hinges and get your door off that way?

Then you could take your door to a locksmith:D :D :D

exvitermini

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know the ones you are talking about they are not torx screws.. they are flatheaded scews(ie you use a normal flat headed screw driver to put them in) but they are designed so you can not use the same size screw driver to remove..

i have removed a look with these twice..
you need a large(try with the right size first as i have also got one out that way pushing hard ish.) flat headed screwdriver and just push hard against the screw as you undo them.. if that fails do as everyone else above had said drill them...

spyderman_au said:
good suggestion. You could punch the rivets from the hinges and get your door off that way?

Then you could take your door to a locksmith:D :D :D
i think he wasnt to replace teh lock HIMSELF or thats how i understand it

Last edited:

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mmm, OK so I'll try a large screwdriver. Yeah I'll just replace the whole deadbolt assembly. The stupid thing is that the lock on the bottom of the door has phillips head screws and would take about 30 seconds to get off....she couldn't have rooted the bottom and made the job easier:rolleyes:

She's put the key in upside down, found it a little hard to put in ( its upside down you idiot) so she hit the key in with a shoe?!?! WTF? So now all the tumblers(?) are destroyed.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
dunk said:
mmm, OK so I'll try a large screwdriver. Yeah I'll just replace the whole deadbolt assembly. The stupid thing is that the lock on the bottom of the door has phillips head screws and would take about 30 seconds to get off....she couldn't have rooted the bottom and made the job easier:rolleyes:

She's put the key in upside down, found it a little hard to put in ( its upside down you idiot) so she hit the key in with a shoe?!?! WTF? So now all the tumblers(?) are destroyed.
The world would certainly be better without mothers-in-law. Maybe there is a special place in purgatory for them, where we know they will suffer the same pain and torment that they have inflicted on their sons-in-law.

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Problem fixed, one cold chisel, a good whack on the screw head, nice new indentation for a big screwdriver, and out they come:D