Loctite for creaky stanchions. Bit of a warning

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This has probably been discussed previously but just a word of warning when using loctite (green wicking stuff) that it eats paint! You could try using grease to protect the paint but you will still likely lose some on the edges closest to the stanchion.

Not sure if other loctite formulas have a similar effect.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yep, lost all the paint off my fork crown, where it meets under the fork stanchions, sorted the creaking... for a while, still makes a ticking noise under stress.

The wicking loctite does an awesome job on creaky cassettes though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I tried it and sadly it didn't resolve the problem for me. I just bought a new fork in the end,
Even know I was second owner of the bike/fork, Fox au offered to replace the fork crown if I sent it in to them and service the fork, all I had to pay for was the service, which was pretty good of them.
I didn't send it in so still got a little creak going on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Does this loctite date the anno?

Is there a different (safer?) loctite (or similar product) that does the same/better job?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does this loctite date the anno?

Is there a different (safer?) loctite (or similar product) that does the same/better job?
Doesn’t affect the annodising. The green 290 loctite is a wicking/penetrating fluid for preassembled parts. Other types won’t work as they don’t penetrate.

stirk

Burner
What poodle asked, "Does this loctite date the anno?"

What poodle is really asking, "Does the green stuff mix with grease?"

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you need to grease before application?
Not sure it would do much at the very edge around the stanchions. The stuff is likely to get through anything if left overnight. Best bet would be to place the bike upside down and get it as level as possible and use just enough to fill the join. Wipe any spills off straight away.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How common are creaky fork crowns, is it a warning of impending failure and/or that you're pushing the boundaries a bit hard ?

RealizE

Likes Bikes
I added a fair bit of Loctite to the interface hoping it would penetrate over a weekend. The excess didn't set and stayed greasy, when I wiped it away the paint came with it.

It did work and fixed nearly all the creaks.

Attachments