Long Distance Bikes - Apples and Oranges Comparison

Hello all,

In spite of the user name - after a few years of riding SS, I'm looking at getting a geared bike to ride races such as the Angry Doctor, Highland Fling etc and 24hrs as a pair.

Have narrowed the choice down to:

Scott Spark 50

Cannondale 29er Flash 3

Giant Anthem X2 or X3

I know this is an 'Apples vs Oranges' comparison but I'd like to hear your thoughts all the same.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I'm new here :)

abenny111

Likes Bikes
Hey mate, I have recently purchased a Spark 40 (5 weeks ago), same frame etc just some different components.
I have not ridden either the Giant or the Cannondale so can’t give a comparison sorry.

But….as for the Scott I can’t rate it highly enough, I rode it at Capital Punishment (100k) and did not hit any problems.
The geometry of the Spark is slightly laid back for the style of bike, it feels more like a trail bike than an XC race machine this has suited me fine as I have been riding a 5 inch trail bike (Iron Horse MKIII) for he last 2 years. Having said that it is not a slow bike it is certainly faster than my old trail bike.

If you want to know anything else about the Scott send me a PM on here and I will see what I can tell you.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Have you really thought this through, shouldn't you be asking what should my new user name be if I cross to the dark side?:cool:

I've had a few bikes over the past few years, from hardtails through to long travel 5+ inch travel bikes. The bikes I've owned includes Cannondale F800, Cannondale Scalpel, Yeti 575, Scott Spark (Carbon version), plus I've ridden Yeti ASRs, Giant XTCs, Giant Anthem X0s, and recently Merida 96 5000-D (Carbon)....

They are all brilliant bikes, and I couldn't fault any of it - for short or long distances. In my older age, I prefer to ride dual suspension, and have recently acquired a Yeti ASR 5 (carbon) - another brilliant bike. Of all the bikes I've owned, the Scott Spark is my favourite. I can't really explain it... just a personal thing. It's good for XC races, long enduro rides, excellent handling...

Regardless of what people say, what magazines say (etc), choosing a bike is a real personal thing (like finding your soulmate). My recommendation is to get out there and ride as many bikes as you can - shops often have demos and/or join your friendly local mtb club. Much easier than finding a soulmate... goodluck :rolleyes:

Thanks heaps for the replies!!

Testing the bikes is a great idea as I think I've reached a dead with adding up the pros and cons on paper!

An interesting aside - a mate who also rides SS chose to ride his geared dually this evening said he much preferred the feel of the HT....

Test ride it is!