Long pants for riding.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ok who wears long pants in the Winter for trail rides ?

No just talking about gravity runs, actual trail rides with a decent lump of pedalling and climbing.

What pants are you riding ? Any that have protection that feels uncomfortable.

I am thinking of getting myself the Fox Flexair's as they look light, the Defend look like the knee may be annoying after a few kms.

My boys are looking at the Troy Lee Design pants too.

Any help or opinions welcome.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I have Flexairs. They’re very light, I find them comfortable. I bought them for racing but have been wearing them quite a lot as the weather’s cooled. They’re a bit “swishy” on trail rides when the extra room in the knees isn’t taken up by pads, but that’s a minor thing obviously. They also don’t have a fly or button - just the ratchet closure - which is more an observation than a complaint and does contribute to them being very comfortable.

One thing is the elastic inserts at the ankle are not great quality (or rather not actually that stretchy) and on one side quickly tore out of the seam when my heel got caught in it. I replaced it with a lighter stretch fabric, but the new model seem to have increased the size which should help.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode last winter in Flexairs doing night rides in 0-5deg temps, still got a little hot with kneepads on the climbs (at least in harder sections), but they're super comfortable & do a good job of keeping you warm & dry.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I got the dharco pants a little while ago. Rode a night ride at Charlottes pass in April and it was down to 3 degrees. Comfy, no other layers. Good movement and had them on all afternoon before the ride without noticing anything different from usual pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Cheers all.

Didn't really look at the Dharco stuff as the shorts feel quite bulky and stiff to me (new ones in shop), a massive slut of their jerseys though.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Agree long pants are essential for cold climates , stretch pants/ jeans from the op shop $5 -10 do it for me.
I am sure the Fox ones are nice but $ 199.95 ?

ozzybmx

Agree long pants are essential for cold climates , stretch pants/ jeans from the op shop $5 -10 do it for me.
I am sure the Fox ones are nice but $ 199.95 ?
They are expensive but I am not growing anymore and also dont intend to fall off ;)

My shorts usually turn into work shorts when they fade from sun and washing.

Was hoping these might last several years.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I too have the Flexairs - can confirm the ankle cuffs are tight with little stretch, but generally good. They do trap a bit of sweat and feel a bit like the old plastic cover pants we used to use as kids at the snow as there is no lining to wick the sweat. But they don't actually end up too damp, it's more the feel. On real cold mornings I put a pair of merino leggings on underneath them and they are toasty. Haven't had any big offs in them so can't talk to toughness.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another Flexair fan here.
I reckon riding in pants through winter has been one of the best investments I have made in cycling, it's that much better.
Regularly did 30-35km rides with 1000m+ of climbing and was never bothered by them

As an added bonus if you ride in mud/water it leaves you so much cleaner

Last edited:

ozzybmx

So the Dharco van was a set up stall at the Melrose Fat Tyre Festival, they had a jersey and shorts deal for $150 or jersey and pants for $200.
I seen a few people riding their brand new pants and they had went nearly skin tight :oops:
Saturday was cold when standing around chatting so I tried some on, seems skin tight is an option but I went for looser comfort fit. 34 was tight fit and bared my ankles in the bent leg riding position, 36 had a looser appearance and felt nicer, also longer in the leg.

Decent pants, can feel a bit of heat when cranking long hills but they are a stretchy soft shell material and pedal very comfortably.

ozzybmx

Its that time of the year again, jacket and pants today. Was f'ing cold here in Adelaide, overcast and single figures in the hills, the city made it just into double figures. Lots more pant rides ahead, especially on an eeb as the effort is not as intense as riding a real bike.

2 years with the Dharcos, would buy another pair tomorrow if I destroyed these, great riding pants.

PXL_20230518_062544111~2.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That's a terrible word for an actual bicycle.

Every time I hear and ebiker say 'you analogue riders' I feel like shouting 'you motorbike chunts' :p

Riverland and hills heading for minus tonight, was a cold day here.
I agree, analogue is an ugly name. Anyhow old school vinyl is back in fashion and CD's + MP3's have been dumped so there is room for 'Analogue - The Sequel'. I blame hipsters somehow for the whole mess even if they aren't involved.

IF you go too fast and are getting windswept then you probably need pants anyhow :cool: