Looking at getting a digital camera

Danman89

Likes Bikes
As the title says looking to get a digital camera to take while riding.

A few must haves:
Quick Speed to take the photo - From when I press the button to when it takes the photo
Multiple/Burst shot mode - Heaps in one click
Li-ion Rechargeable Battery - No AA or AAAs
Preferably SD Memory Card
$400 Price Limit

Any other things a camera should take if you go riding? Would love to know what everyone else uses :)

Cheers

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
You won't get something that takes a shitload of shots per sec at that price range

Look at the Canon G9/10 anyways. For a bit more (well, a couple of hundred more...) you could get a Pentax K200D, with a lens. Maybe.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
I just bought a Pansonic Lumix TS-1 online, it is yet to arrive. $300 used from B&H Photo Video.

Since my last one died of moisture, I wanted to get a 'tough' camera. It seems to get better reviews than the equivalent Olympus. For me water resistance and shock protection is important. It is going to get dropped, and it is going to get wet. I bought it mainly to use at the snow, I can give a review in a week or two when it arrives if you like.

poor relative

Likes Bikes
For less than $400 you will be hard pressed to find a camera with a decent sequence shot. My advice would be to save up and buy somthing like a Cannon DSLR 1000D these are a great cammera (not too pricey $900 with twin lense kit) they give profesional quality photos and are super easy to use. I've had one for the past year and it has done really well have used it for MTB pics, surfing pics and snowboarding pics worked a treat for all.

I would also recomend just going into any good cammera store and tell them what you want, they will point you in the right direction (Not a good idea to ask for advice from somewhere like JB Hi Fi they may have the cammeras but from my experience most of the staff dont know what the difference is between models).

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I just bought a Pansonic Lumix TS-1 online, it is yet to arrive. $300 used from B&H Photo Video.

Since my last one died of moisture, I wanted to get a 'tough' camera. It seems to get better reviews than the equivalent Olympus. For me water resistance and shock protection is important. It is going to get dropped, and it is going to get wet. I bought it mainly to use at the snow, I can give a review in a week or two when it arrives if you like.
Friend has one of these, excellent value for money, can shoot AVCHD video aswell.

Sugez

Likes Dirt
I have the better of the two olympus tough's and it is awesome. Cost more than $400 though. But if you can afford it go a dslr for sure.

beardi

Likes Dirt
I've got a Canon G10 and recommend it highly. I also own an older olympus shock/water proof and a canon ixus. Neither of these come close to the G10 in terms of picture quality and adjustment. I know it's more expensive than your budget but if you want quality photos you're camera needs a bigger lens. I have found the olympus to be terrible..perhaps the new ones are better.

Here's a pic i took at crankworx with the G10

Attachments

Danman89

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone

I wasn't really after a really good quality camera, just one to take while riding that can fit in my jersey pockets and also out on a holiday. So far my iPhone has done the job but after going to the You Yangs on Cup Day I realised that a proper camera would do the job a lot better.

The Olympus Tough camera looks really good, I may get one on duty free when comming back from New Zealand on my holiday :)

Danman89

Likes Bikes
I will definatelty get it before I go, Just had a look at the prices and they are so much cheaper :D

Not sure about what to go for, either the olympus or the panasonic. The panasonic looks so cool in the orange and can accept SD cards...

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Couldn't justify the extra expense of a 'toughened' camera - according to the reviews many of them have lower specs and take inferior quality pictures. I went for a cheap-o point and shoot (Canon IXUS 80 IS - apparently the best selling camera in the world!?) For the price of one 'tough' camera I could buy two of these.

The best feature isn't even advertised - from 'camera off' to 'picture taken' is around 3 seconds!

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I will definatelty get it before I go, Just had a look at the prices and they are so much cheaper :D

Not sure about what to go for, either the olympus or the panasonic. The panasonic looks so cool in the orange and can accept SD cards...
Check out the reviews, most of them say the panasonic is the better quality camera, and the fact that it shoots good video too is a big plus.

We took my mates into the ocean, did some filming and its just fine (make sure you soak it in fresh water for a half hour afterwards though)

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As soon as you drop a camera, in to a puddle/mud especially, you appreciate the benefits of ruggedness and can then accept the "inferior" quality. After all, we're talking about p+s compacts that still have specifications far higher than necessary for posting on here to brag about your adventures.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i cant recommend the tough olympus cameras enough.

Mine has been in seawater, sulphur hot springs, had the lens covered in ice and left in -45degrees, its been dropped and landed on in heavy crashes, and the thing still works perfectly. i cant believe it. its now a year and a half old, no problems.

that said, the xd card is a pain, and is double the price of the sd card of the same capacity. i would of had a look at the panasonic version for that reason alone, if it was avaliable at the time.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha... at the other end of the scale: Mine's been thrown at people, had photos taken whilst submerged in a schooner then the beer sucked off it, and stomped in mud out of frustration. Oh, and I crashed with it in my pocket which left a nasty bruise and torn pants - took pics of the damage with it afterwards.
Not always in the same situations, but those things have happened more than once :eek: