Looking at going to Canada to work but I need some advice.

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
As the title suggests, I'm looking into moving to Canada next year. I am a boilermaker by trade and have extensive experience in the mining industry so I'd be inclined to work in that field over there since it's supposed to be booming bigger than here. I'm 25 in January, have a clean criminal history and as far as I can see nothing would be holding me back except I have no idea where to start. I have been told there are companies in Australia that help find a job and organise visas and getting set up over there.

So if you have any advice or links to organisations that can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dicko.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Search Canada work visas on Google. I think it's whpcanada or something similar, apply for visa, research mining companies, apply in your field and hope. As long as you're under 30 you should be fine for a visa, and all that's left is luck (and a good resume)

I'd love to spend some time in the north of Canada and alaska. Amazing country

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Visa is easy as pie, costs $150 and goes for two years, renewable for another two provided you're under 30. I've got a completed application sitting on my desk ready for the day when I suddenly decide to pack it in.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Don't over think it too much. get visa, show up get job. If your quals are as good as you say you should be able to walk into something at Fort McMurray. I don't think you need to give an agency a cut of your pay.

Also check out Craigslist-[town x] for jobs.

Last edited:

Dicko888

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info. I have checked out the whpcanada site and it had good info that has eased the stress. I think that my next step now is to save up a bunch of cash and sort out a passport.