Looking for a bike

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
** Found a bike thanks guys. See post #7.
cheers

I posted this in the WTB section but thought it may be better here.
Basically im just looking at getting a trials bike to muck around with and hopefully get into the sport.
Not looking to spend a lot. If i really get into it then i'll buy something new later on.
Im looking to spend up to $500. might push a bit higher if needed.
Id like 24" but will consider 20" or 26" aswell.
Just seeing if anything is available.
cheers :)

Last edited:

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
practise on your current bike first, then once you can get over some obstacles buy a trials bike.

Far too many times Ive seen people buy stuff and then give it a go and they just say "Nah it's too hard" which I have even done myself.

Also it doesn't really matter what bike you practise on even if it's a downhill bike, look at moto trials they still manage to hop thier motorcycles over obstacles and they are way heavier, it's all about using the suspension to your advantage I guess.

Or if you are concerned about scratching your downhill bike why not head out to the dump you might find an old bmx in working order that you could practise on.

Thier are plenty of new trials bikes on the net but as for second hand I would check out the trading area on pinkbike, ebay, amazon etc.

Good luck.

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, thanks for the advice. But yeah i think im at the stage where the smaller lighter bike will help. Ive been djing, street riding and racing DH for a while now and i think the smaller bike with lower gearing is the way to go. Im not all that worried about sacrificing $500 or so on the venture.
cheers

Last edited:

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
Sorry i probably should have updated this.
I went slightly over my budget and bought a bike. Glad i did as i am loving trials.
For those that are interested this is my new weapon thanks to Mitch from Sydney....

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man that looks SWEEEET !!! I purchased a street -trials (26") about two months ago now, and have been chipping away at all the basics. But sometimes i wonder if a 20" Mod would have been more suitable ( i am a short bloke - but also ride mountain bikes ).. How is your new ride and what else do you ride? Cheers for any thoughts/opinions - Rick..:biggrin:

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
Man that looks SWEEEET !!! I purchased a street -trials (26") about two months ago now, and have been chipping away at all the basics. But sometimes i wonder if a 20" Mod would have been more suitable ( i am a short bloke - but also ride mountain bikes ).. How is your new ride and what else do you ride? Cheers for any thoughts/opinions - Rick..:biggrin:
Hey mate, i was tossing up between 20", 24" and 26" as well but i figured id start with a 20 as they are more a pure trials bike and trials is what i wanted to learn. Now that ive got it im glad i didnt go any other way. It pops up onto the rear wheel so easily and flicks around into 180s very easily aswell. Im not sure that i could have learned those things as quickly on a bigger bike. Ive been downhilling and dirtjumping since about 2006 so plenty of bike experience but just wanted the pure trials bike to make it easier when learning those sort of manouvres. Not sure how short you mean when you say short but im about 170cm - definitely not tall. The size of the bike seems great for me though. Will probably get a 24 or 26 somewhere down the road but for now progress is quite quick on the 20" so im happy with it.
cheers,
Andrew

rockcrawler

Likes Bikes
good to see some action in this forum

i am 165cm and started on a 26" but switched to 20" and never looked back
heaps more flickable and you will learn faster as you can really exaggerate the moves
the only time it sucks is when you get your front wheel stuck in scrappy terrain in comps