Looking for a light but strong Dh rim

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
I would recommend the Alex Supra D over the 721 but for that price you should go for the 823. That is very cheap for that build.

T-Rex

Template denier
The main point of difference between the two is the 823 is UST specific, but you can also run 823s with tubes.

823s are incredibly strong and don't dent easily, been running them for a couple of seasons and still havent wrecked one. They are also a little bit lighter than 729s.

2.0/1.8 double butted are your preferred DH spoke.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The main point of difference between the two is the 823 is UST specific, but you can also run 823s with tubes.

823s are incredibly strong and don't dent easily, been running them for a couple of seasons and still havent wrecked one. They are also a little bit lighter than 729s.

2.0/1.8 double butted are your preferred DH spoke.
I agree with T-rex however I do want to add that a wheel is only as good as its build. If you have top parts but a poor built you might as well have poor parts too.
As always I'm a massive fan of Greg at TWE.

Freeo

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the comments. I was leaning towards the 823 over the 729 because the 729 may be to wide.
What are the pros and cons between the widths of these rims?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I run 729's and they do dint a little easy, but I have never had one go out of true or fail in anyway - although I am 100kg I'm not too hard on wheels. I would have bought 823's but they are a lot more expensive (may or may not be an issue) and I don't run tubeless.

I like the width of 729's, to me if gives the tire a slightly more volume, it's probably completely a placebo effect.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would recommend the Alex Supra D over the 721 but for that price you should go for the 823. That is very cheap for that build.
Totally agree. My friends and I have been racing on the Supra D for over 4 years now. They are a little known rim but one of the best out there!

Stronger and lighter than a 721 and 729

Lighter than an 823 and not much difference in strength.

Best bit is that can be picked up for $80 a rim!

I usually get a full national series and state series including practice in between on a rim easily!