Looking for a new bike around $1500-2000

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Hi All,
It’s been a fair while since I have been on the forum. I used to ride a lot, and spent all my time and money on it (mainly downhill riding). Then went overseas for a couple of years, and my interests changed and haven’t ridden for about 4 years. I still have my 03 GT DHi at home, but I don't think I'll really be able to ride that enough to warrant having it. I'm thinking of trading it in for a bike to ride for work in the week and then heading to Lysterfield Park on the weekends for some fun. I weigh about 95kg and have always been pretty hard on bikes, so I’m concerned about getting an xc that won’t stand up to the punishment I give it. I’m looking at an 09 Giant XTC 2 at the moment, which looks like i can get for about $1600 at the moment, but I’m open to any suggestions on other choices that would stand up to some punishment. They must have lock out suspension for riding to work, and not be too fragile. Also how much do you recon my DHi would be worth for trade in. The only problems with it are that there is scratch on one stanchion (really needs a new one) and the front brake lever is bent, but not so that it won’t work.
Cheers

Jamezz

Likes Bikes
hey mate, well it depends on what kind of bike you want, if you want a jump, mountain, freeride or down hill. if you like jumping you should get an eastern nighttrain or a norco 250, if u like freerideing youshould get a norco sassy and if you like downhill get a second hand iron horse yakuza type r. i hope that helps.:D

thanx Jamezz

LukeRydes

Banned
hey mate, well it depends on what kind of bike you want, if you want a jump, mountain, freeride or down hill. if you like jumping you should get an eastern nighttrain or a norco 250, if u like freerideing youshould get a norco sassy and if you like downhill get a second hand iron horse yakuza type r. i hope that helps.:D

thanx Jamezz
IM pretty sure he just stated all the reasons he wanted it.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Specialized Rockhopper. There are a few different levels depending on budget but the frame is hard to beat. A perfect all rounder. Much better riding position than the race oriented XTC. You won't regret it. (I too weigh 95kg)

firstaid50

Likes Dirt

thanx Jamezz
did you even read his full post? he said he was getting into xc not downhill dirt jump or freeride oh and i think a gt force 3.0 would be a nice bike to get you started again.

Yiddo

Squid
I just picked up an xtc 2 for under $1500 and it's a fantastic bike. Did 30km on it straight from the shop home and it was brilliant. Highly recommend it.

firstaid50

Likes Dirt
i think the guy above has the right idea stuff the gt force and go the giant xtc 2 i think it would hold up for the kind of riding your doing.

!100TH! post yay