Looking for places to ride In perth

nibbZ

Likes Dirt
Hi All

I am heading down to Perth in a month or so, originally born in Fremantle but been away for 8 years. I am looking for some places to ride. i am aware of the goat farm and i have seen a few other trails around the place. I ride xc/am at the moment as Darwin is flat but i have ridden DH in Alice Springs. What trails a worth checking out and if anyone is willing to show me some stuff i would be very appreciative. Would like to do some regular rides as well.

Peace

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
The resources industry isn't the only boom going on in Perth at the moment - we've got our own modest little boom in MTB!

Nobody but the DH guys seem to ride the Goat Farm anymore, the action is all centered around the Kalamunda Circuit - 20k of purpose built sweeping singletrack, technical climbs, and butt-clenching downhill, in the Perth hills just outside Kalamunda. Get yourself down to the Camel Farm (Mundaring Weir Rd) any weekend morning and there'll be loads of groups of all abilities heading off on the trail, and you should be able to catch a ride. Alternatively, check out the PMBC website for group rides, skills sessions, and trail building days, or put your own post up asking for a ride - http://perthmtb.asn.au/

If you don't mind venturing an hour or so from Perth CBD, then you've also got the flowing lines of Langford Park, an old Bauxite mine but now an MTB paradise, and an hour further down the road my personal fav - Turners Hill.

You'll have a blast! Look forward to seeing you over here....

PS: Other good resources for riding in WA:-
Travis Deane's book "Western Australia Mountain Bike Trailguide" http://www.mtbguidebook.com/
The WAMBA website has maps and directions to all the sanctioned trails http://www.wamba.org.au/trails.php

Last edited:

nibbZ

Likes Dirt
Cheers man

Is there much other down hill other then the goat farm ?

The resources industry isn't the only boom going on in Perth at the moment - we've got our own modest little boom in MTB!

Nobody but the DH guys seem to ride the Goat Farm anymore, the action is all centered around the Kalamunda Circuit - 20k of purpose built sweeping singletrack, technical climbs, and butt-clenching downhill, in the Perth hills just outside Kalamunda. Get yourself down to the Camel Farm any weekend morning and there'll be loads of groups of all abilities heading off on the trail, and you should be able to catch a ride. Alternatively, check out the PMBC website for group rides, skills sessions, and trail building days, or put your own post up asking for a ride - http://perthmtb.asn.au/

If you don't mind venturing an hour or so from Perth CBD, then you've also got the flowing lines of Langford Park, an old Bauxite mine but now an MTB paradise, and an hour further down the road my personal fav - Turners Hill.

You'll have a blast! Look forward to seeing you over here....

PS: Other good resources for riding in WA:-
Travis Deane's book "Western Australia Mountain Bike Trailguide" http://www.mtbguidebook.com/
The WAMBA website has maps and directions to all the sanctioned trails http://www.wamba.org.au/trails.php

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
Is there much other down hill other then the goat farm ?
My thang is XC, so I'm not really the best person to ask about DH, although I know there's certainly some good DH tracks in the hills around the Dell/Mt. Gungin area, and also further south around Dwelligup/Turners Hill.

Travis' book mentions 4 or 5 DH tracks, but I get the impression they tend to be 'unsanctioned' so are a bit harder to find than the well groomed and signposted XC trails.

Best thing to do is post on the PMBC forum asking for info and someone to show you around and you're sure to find some DH fans. http://perthmtb.asn.au/

Last edited:

nibbZ

Likes Dirt
Yeah i ride mostly trails modest AM at the most. Def keen to hit up the trails. Feel so lucky in Darwin as it's a five km ride to the local trail, seems like it's going to be a bit of a hike to ride in Perth as I will be living in success/atwell somewhere

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
I used to live in Success. The freeway bike path will be right on your doorstep, which gives access to miles of great (but totally flat!) bike paths around the suburbs, city, river & beaches. But as you know, Perth city is on a sandy coastal plain, and if you want something that gets your bike dirty then you need to get out into the hills!

Still, from where you'll be staying, Kalamunda is only 45mins drive one way, and Jarrahdale 45mins the other, so still easy to have a couple of hours riding and be back by lunchtime - but you'll definitely need wheels of the motorised kind to access MTB in Perth.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh mate theirs heaps of DH. Mundaring is prop your best bet and easiest to get too, just drive as if you where going to the weir and you will see the plantation and most propbrably aheap of bikers waiting for a shuttle.. It was in Sam Hills edit on 3 minute gaps if you want to check it out first. Kalamunda is fun but the DH sections are by no means butt-clenching and all the jumps are so fricken small its stupid, but it is a fun place to ride.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Yeh mate theirs heaps of DH. Mundaring is prop your best bet and easiest to get too, just drive as if you where going to the weir and you will see the plantation and most propbrably aheap of bikers waiting for a shuttle.. It was in Sam Hills edit on 3 minute gaps if you want to check it out first. Kalamunda is fun but the DH sections are by no means butt-clenching and all the jumps are so fricken small its stupid, but it is a fun place to ride.
Sam hill and some of his mates have done a gap jump section (3 gaps, one after each other) the landing ramp of the 3rd goes into a 90 degree right hand turn using the base of a big tree to shape the rut to turn in.

If you don't make the gaps your in a big hole.... If you do, you have about a split second to turn in the above mentioned rut or you hit a tree.

If that's fricken small and stupid you belong on the world cup circuit. I don't attempt it. It scares the shit out of me. These are hidden on Side track way off to the east side of the tracks.

Recently some guys have made a few road gaps. My mate launched it in front of me and I could not hold in the involuntary "shiiiiittttt" as I watched the suspension extend over the road gap.

nibbZ

Likes Dirt
Sounds Crazy

Are they the sort of trails that you would need a DH bike for or would you be allright on a AM bike. Going to keep my trail bike for fitness and XC racing but want to get a second bike and just wondering what i should get.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The am bike will be fine at the Goatfarm, but for mundaring, dwelli and such, all the proper DH tracks ypu will probrably need a DH bike if you wanna go fast.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing in WA needs a dh bike, if you have balls you can go fast on anything i know guys who flew down dwelli on 150mm bikes, everything in wa is even hardtailable if your keen enough, you might not be the fastest guy but who gives a shit.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
To be honest there are B lines around just about everything. A good 6" travel bike would be a Real hoot in there.

I am thinking about taking my Reign up their next time and leaving the Glory at home. Dwellingup, that's different. You will get away with it. But long term I reckon you could do some damage to a Reign chassis.

Last edited:

Roobiks

Cannon Fodder
Nothing in WA needs a dh bike, if you have balls you can go fast on anything i know guys who flew down dwelli on 150mm bikes, everything in wa is even hardtailable if your keen enough, you might not be the fastest guy but who gives a shit.
Haha this^^^
My mate was dying to come out with us last week, only has a hardtail DJ bike.. Gave goat farm DH tracks a run for their money! I was impressed!

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like i said if you wanna go fast and actually ride the track how we built it then you will need a DH bike. Whats the point if your going slow and riding B lines. Scott stop being a troll, you know that to go half fast u need a DH bike.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like i said if you wanna go fast and actually ride the track how we built it then you will need a DH bike. Whats the point if your going slow and riding B lines. Scott stop being a troll, you know that to go half fast u need a DH bike.
No you dont, i knew guys who hit all the a lines on toms crossing on a 150mm sx. Nothing in wa needs a downhill bike, you wernt around when there was a guy getting in the top 20 at states on a stp at places like nannup. That was back when we had some sort of showing at races too. Will a dh bike be more comfy - yes, will it be faster - probably. Do you need one to hit all the a lines - no way.

Im not trolling, just telling it how it is, a good AM bike can take a serious beating not that wa tracks would give it to you anyway.

cvbass

Likes Dirt
No you dont, i knew guys who hit all the a lines on toms crossing on a 150mm sx. Nothing in wa needs a downhill bike, you wernt around when there was a guy getting in the top 20 at states on a stp at places like nannup. That was back when we had some sort of showing at races too. Will a dh bike be more comfy - yes, will it be faster - probably. Do you need one to hit all the a lines - no way.

Im not trolling, just telling it how it is, a good AM bike can take a serious beating not that wa tracks would give it to you anyway.
I'd like to see Kalamunda DH ridden fast on a hardtail! Haha!!
Actually I'd like to see anyone get a top 20 in WA on a hardtail these days!

I fixed this bit that had a couple of typos too..
Will a dh bike be more comfy - yes, will it be faster - yes. Do you need one to hit all the a lines - yes.

hochiki

Likes Bikes
Hey, I took my all mountain bike (06 Specialized Enduro) with me when I was in Perth for work last year. I was shown some very cool trails at a place called Greenmount Rise (??), about 40 minutes East of Perth. Maybe these were some of the trails already mentioned in this thread, I'm not that familiar with the Perth suburbs. Very cool little mountainbiking area though, bit of downhill, bit of all mountain and a bit of cross country. All well maintained when I was there, that pea gravel is a bitch though!! Good luck, Perth is a great city.

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Yeah sure, you could get by at places like Dwelli and Mundaring without a DH bike. If you're hitting the A-Line it just means you have far less margin of error. Try casing the gap at the start of the Dwelli State Track with an AM bike as opposed to DH. Also it will make it more difficult to progress to bigger features and more difficult to ride fast....not impossible, just need to be a better rider to match the pace of those on DH bikes.

Goat Farm is very average and it can't be shuttled. If you're looking for someone to show you Mundaring or some of the lesser known DH trails then PM me.