Looking lfor spd clip less platform pedal for downhill use.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I am trying to find out what pedals Greg minnar uses.

I am in search of a nice platform pedal but hopefully with a shimano spd style clip.

I would go a set of crank brothers mallets but I don't want to switch from the spd mechanism.

Any help is appreciated.

MTBikerTim

Cannon Fodder
I have the old grey aluminium cage shimano dx pedals. I have broken a lot of pedals but those just keep hanging on in there. I do think the cage is fairly useless on clipless pedals though. If anything it provides the mechanism with more rock protection and that is about it.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
I had a feeling that might be the case.

I am going to get some 5.10 shoes.

But what I was worried about is unclipping intentionally and for one reason or another having to use the platform until I can clip back in.

I am currently using XC shoes with hard plastic soles on normal spd pedals. Once Unclipped I found mud can make clipping back in annoying. No problem if I had some traction from a pedal and shoe combo until I clip back in.

It's a personal thing but I hate jumping or taking on rock gardens at speed without clips.

I reckon the look of the mallets is great.... But in XC riding the eggbeater style clip is unadjustable for tension and is prone to breaking when hit.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
hey buddy I got a pair of DX about 5 years old but only used for about a year and great condition, I use flats now so looking to offload them for not much, PM me if you'd like them as a cheap way of trying out DX's

T-Rex

Template denier
The DX plastic cage pedal is what you want. Not very expensive, zero maintenance, does the job. This is after trying various styles of pedal over the years. They are simply one of those "no brainer" parts.

I do think the cage is fairly useless on clipless pedals though. If anything it provides the mechanism with more rock protection and that is about it.
Sorry Tim, this is incorrect.

Primarily, the cage provides a larger surface area to spread the impacts that DH inflicts on your feet. Try flat landing a 10m jump, or doing a day at Thredbo, with XC pedals fitted to your DH bike, and you will get the idea...

The cage is also handy if you get unclipped and can't get back in right away, you can ride it like a flat pedal if you have rubber soled shoes like DX66S or Minnars.

Last edited: