"Lost that lovin feelin" - Passion for riding

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Take a riding holiday to Rotorua. There is no way you won't be smiling.

On second thoughts, maybe that's a bad idea. I had post Rotorua Depression for quite a few weeks when I got home. When you ride your old trails, it's abit like taking your kid to Wet and Wild and then when you get home pull out the slip and slide in the front yard and tell him it's the same. :pirate:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I am in the same boat JD, i have gotten very sick of trying to stay fit enough to keep ahead/or with in pack rides, sick of the time it takes just to keep your fitness level up, so i went long travel AM bike, now days i build a lot, and maintain, and just do fun rides with either one or two friends, at a very modest pace, also stopping and checking out the sights, wildlife and history wherever we are, i am the same as pebble, i love bikes, but a lot of the fun has dissappeared for me, so i just did a bit of a change, although it hasnt completely cured me, i am finding it a lot more fun!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Has anyone actually said take time off - don't ride?

I was as a bicycle courier for 6 years, rode every weekend and race a lot, was riding 700km weekly, got smashed by a car one day and never road again for 8 years - poor fitness was punished on the bike, pain from chronic injury and no friends rode anymore.

Came back to riding a few years ago, commuting and MTB got a few new bikes and I've been having great fun, everything is new and interesting again. bikes, parts and places to ride.

Do NOT buy a new bike or anything like that, it'll be waste if you have no inclination to ride. Take up another outdoors activity or get involved a few other things for a while.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think all this technology and stuff really gets in the way of just having a good time riding. The electronics in the form of gps, heart monitors, ipods, odomoters etc is all crap unless you need it. If you are out for fun who cares how far you rode or your heart rate. Your internal giggleometer is all that counts there.

Unless you need it get out of the specific riding gear. Lycra is great for when its needed but it is a uniform that is defined for performance so when you suit up you are in the mode to match that requirment. Go out in shorts and a t-shirt and see how much more relaxing it is.

Also look at the bike you first started really enjoying riding on. If you still have it take it out and see what was fun about it. How it probably doesn't grip brilliantly, roll easily over stuff or stop you instantly. But its what made you want to ride and all that bumping around is what makes riding fun.

Lastly ride with people who are fun to ride with... BM EPIC should hire himself out for this as people like that turn a day into lots of talking fun shit and fun riding... hills become entertaining when you can't ride them. flat is time to chat and descents are times to whoop.

Lastly stop and smell the flowers and just enjoy being outside.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Give it a rest for a while, forcing it will just make it worse. In time you will come back to it, just leave the bike in the shed till you get the urge again.

Get some new hobbies. Keep it on two wheels, buy a trail bike and enjoy the bush in a different way, at warp speed.
Or try something completely different that you have always thought about but never got around too.

And this

haydenw

Build a project bike piece by piece, you will be loving it by the end

ray

Likes Bikes
There's a bit of merit in changing bikes, I'd been riding either of my 29er's for the last year or so, great bikes, fun to ride etc, but just wasn't gettinga buzz out of riding, pulled the Reign out of retirement, gave it a tidy up and a service, now back having loads of fun...could be something as simple as that?

Hope you work it out,

Cheers,

Ray

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great point on technology, there is probably too much choice out there right now (unless you're looking at 26" HT's...ha ha they're taken over by 29ers), either that or most of the bikes are similar pretty much.
So perhaps that's part of the problem too, not as much inspiration to aspire towards? Like when you're a kid riding your Dunlop but dreaming of that unobtainum bike that you know you want over anything else.

Yeah I guess there is nothing wrong with just taking a break, in that case I would keep the bikes you have unless you're sure you won't regret selling.

Something I have noticed though is that I really miss not having a bike when I don't have one, it doesn't matter if all I do is go ride it up the driveway and back or around the shed even, it's just funny that I still like to have a bike to have a pedal on, and if I don't have my own I will jump on one of the kids bikes just to "test it out" lol.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Get back to when you starting riding.
go out do some skids, play with some drifting cones, try do some awesome air kicks....haha but just mix it up instead of trawling on a long ride go do something different and just have a laugh. It sounds like you need a break. I have had the same situation as I mentioned in my previous post I was taking it too serious and lost the fun feeling, I got way to caught up in going faster and smoother, then just getting loose and having a laugh on the bike.When i was younger me and my mates had like beater kmart hardtails we go from our parents (as most kids do) and had these jumps we used to go to every day after school, Years after when we were out of school we got out a few old bmx bikes and hit up the same jumps, they were super small but it was good to get back to the roots of riding and just have fun.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your burnt out, take a break, have a kit-kat

everyone saying 'build a bike' 'buy a new bike' anything else to get you 'keen' again, its faulse hope, take a bit of time off, you'll know when your ready to jump back on because the urge will hit you again. might be a week, month, maby more. but just have a break and do something completly unrelated to bikes.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
If I do get bored of riding for a day or so, I go kill some hookers on GTA, make a cake, go ride a PW80 or look at cars on ebay, then right back into BIKES.
Hahaha story of my life. For me it's always either GTA IV or Black Ops. Can't go wrong there!

Yeah I think I'm experiencing that loss of "lovin feeling" too, but that primarily due to the fact that I am still awaiting an adapter to replace my chainguide... So therefore my bike is loosing that feeling towards myself aswell :(.

MUST RIDE BEE IEE KAY EEE ASAP... (B I K E)

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
I am in the same boat JD, i have gotten very sick of trying to stay fit enough to keep ahead/or with in pack rides, sick of the time it takes just to keep your fitness level up, so i went long travel AM bike, now days i build a lot, and maintain, and just do fun rides with either one or two friends, at a very modest pace, also stopping and checking out the sights, wildlife and history wherever we are, i am the same as pebble, i love bikes, but a lot of the fun has dissappeared for me, so i just did a bit of a change, although it hasnt completely cured me, i am finding it a lot more fun!
JD, every so often I get like this. I jump on the old $50 bike for a few weeks and just cruise around the tracks and streets(and talk with anyone who wants to chat). Then I seem to fire up and want to get back out there.

BM Epic. I hear you Todd, I've highlighted "Social" on a lot of my rides these days.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
JD, every so often I get like this. I jump on the old $50 bike for a few weeks and just cruise around the tracks and streets(and talk with anyone who wants to chat). Then I seem to fire up and want to get back out there.

BM Epic. I hear you Todd, I've highlighted "Social" on a lot of my rides these days.
Yeah Mike, i just love to cruise now, stop and check things out, i now make a habit of talking to walkers etc, find out how long they have been in the area etc, social is something that Joe has taught me too, having a beer afterwards, coffee, food, and telling tall stories, the older i get the better i was!!!!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Bloody hell - gratuitous advice galore!

I recommend

forums.whirlpool.net.au
or
forums.vogue.com.au

choose your poison

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
Variety, that's the answer..always has been. Do something different...why not come ride the Coolah "Hidden Valley Classic" 16th Sept ?...sure, it's 3-4 hrs from the saltwater...but it's worth the drive, just to get out into the "real bush". You're guaranteed an unforgettable ride...there's only one rule out here...we accept nothing less than a completely laid back attitude...it's always been that way.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
good one farmaboy

Bloody hell - gratuitous advice galore!

I recommend

forums.whirlpool.net.au
or
forums.vogue.com.au

choose your poison
6 pages in two days mate tells me that;
1. it is not uncommon to loose interest and people have experience to share
2. we can discuss (in the general discussion forum) something other than the science of 29er wheels/traction/velocity/fact/figures and measurements.
I asked for peoples thoughts and got heaps of advice - fine with me - you continue to offer nothing -

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
6 pages in two days mate tells me that;
1. it is not uncommon to loose interest and people have experience to share
2. we can discuss (in the general discussion forum) something other than the science of 29er wheels/traction/velocity/fact/figures and measurements.
I asked for peoples thoughts and got heaps of advice - fine with me - you continue to offer nothing -
Gotta a reply though lol

Let's be serious, the replies and discussion might help your vicarious life, but you ain't likely to act on any of the advice/ideas. We all get bored with something or other through life- we change- it's not rocket science, and sure as chit the answer to life the universe and everything isn't going to spontaneously erupt from a forum discussion- even if it did , you/we/the gatepost wouldn't recognize it.

If you truly hope for valuable advice and haven't yet found it , here's mine: this thread is a sideshow to the real issue - the real issue is one that you know, but the answer is nt clear - in all likelihood the solution isn't an answer but a personal discovery- this thread is more a symptom than a quest for an answer.

cressa

Likes Dirt
Gotta a reply though lol

Let's be serious, the replies and discussion might help your vicarious life, but you ain't likely to act on any of the advice/ideas. We all get bored with something or other through life- we change- it's not rocket science, and sure as chit the answer to life the universe and everything isn't going to spontaneously erupt from a forum discussion- even if it did , you/we/the gatepost wouldn't recognize it.

If you truly hope for valuable advice and haven't yet found it , here's mine: this thread is a sideshow to the real issue - the real issue is one that you know, but the answer is nt clear - in all likelihood the solution isn't an answer but a personal discovery- this thread is more a symptom than a quest for an answer.

Kind of missing the point of the original post there me thinks. Like the part where JD specifically asked people to share stories about their own bouts of low motivation.

Don't think he was ever looking for an 'answer'. And by the popularity of the thread it looks like it is was a worthy point for discussion even if the outcomes are not rocket science.