Low Friction Seals

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
Gday everyone , i just had low friction seals put into my Boxxer WC which feels amazing but , I run my fork fairly hard, now with the new seals it feels like iam 10 psi lower in pressure, which its not. So has anyone else felt this and did you add more pressure without effecting sensitivity or not. Iam going to call NSD on monday for their 2 cents as well ,Cheers

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Its normal.

My unprofessional explanation.
Friction creates resistance/stores energy, for a fork this includes resistance to any sort of compression or movement. Because you have reduced the friction you have essentially reduced the resistance of the seal. The seal traditionally holds energy via friction. Because you have reduced this friction and thereby reduced the amount of energy the seal is holding, this energy has been transferred to the damper to deal with.
Going up 10psi should be fine because now the damper is dealing with more energy (the energy that was traditionally stored by the friction of the seal) it will need more support, the frictional will still be reduced but the support will be improved. You should find that the sensitivity will not change because the friction has still be reduced, there would inevitably be a small decline in sensitivity because you are stiffening the fork but if it feels to soft, I would assume that adding more psi till you find a happy spot would yield a supported fork with more sensitivity.

Just run through the traditional set up method. Reducing friction can also change your HSC and LSC dampening.
Call NSD, but it wont be a big issue. It will just be a matter of going through the traditional set up. It should only be small changes from previous set up so it shouldn't take long.

M2c