Low stack headsets

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
I'm having trouble finding a low stack headset, I was settled on a Crank Brothers Opium but they're finding proving hard to find, CRC are out of stock and the couple of stores in the city i tried pretty much said na we dont do DH stuff.

Any other options I should be looking at? Needs to be a 1 1/8 in the 21mm-24mm range including crown and race.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
FSA Orbit?

I use an FSA headset and had it for two years. Ridden everyday. Still as good as new.
This may be less stack than you are asking for, but you can always add a small spacer to take it up to the equivalent of 21mm.

Deep Alloy cups fit into onepointfive head tube allowing fitment of 1 1/8" steerer
Very low profile designed primarily for ATB’s
Patented alignment tip for increased durability and performance
TH brand 36 degree Micro Angular Contact Bearings.
7075 alloy crown race
Laser etched aluminum top cap
Stack Height - 9.8 + 3.3 = 13.1mm
Black anodized finish
Weight - 82 grams (1 1/8")

Landon

Likes Dirt
Crankbrothers Headset

Just don't go clearing any big jumps or hit things hard with the Crank Brothers Opium headset. They are light and the low stack height is useful sometimes. But, the bearing cups on these Opium things can quite easily explode into a million pieces during DH use. Classic Crankbrothers product... Good idea, but very bad engineering.

mountain_man(1)

Likes Dirt
Just don't go clearing any big jumps or hit things hard with the Crank Brothers Opium headset. They are light and the low stack height is useful sometimes. But, the bearing cups on these Opium things can quite easily explode into a million pieces during DH use. Classic Crankbrothers product... Good idea, but very bad engineering.
i'm a pussy, but hopefully it doesn't give me any grief, if it does i'll write it up and send it back to CB.

macca21

Likes Dirt
i have heard a couple of bad stories on the net about the cb headset. that said, i've had mine on for nearly a year now and it's handled everything from racing to huge roadgaps without a problem. luck of the draw maybe?

fairy1

Banned
I strangely ended up in the same boat, the frame that arrived yesterday has a longer HT than I was expecting so I had to order the Acros headset I linked. 180mm travel on an 80g headset that is rated for XC use only, this should end well.
Wonder who's will break first?