lower headset bearing 40x52x6.5 36x45

evad

Likes Bikes
I have a cane creek is-3 headset on a fuel 9.8, the seals are rubbish and the bearing is full of crud and rust and slipping in the frame. I can get a stainless ball replacement for the top bearing but the best I can find for the lower is a pro sealed cartridge is 52/40 from mountain bikes direct not even sure if the angles are right it does not say. Does anyone know where I can get a good quality replacement 40 x 52 x 6.5 36x45*? It seems to be a very common bearing.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Send Duncan an email at MTB direct. He's bound to have what you need.

evad

Likes Bikes
Thanks guy's, I have looked at diy mtb but I can't get that size in ss, the closest is 51mm od with 36x36° chamfer it has the same bearing # 6808 but diffrent OD and internal chamfer? I think that would be sloppy and damage the frame? Or am I missing somthing?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks guy's, I have looked at diy mtb but I can't get that size in ss, the closest is 51mm od with 36x36° chamfer it has the same bearing # 6808 but diffrent OD and internal chamfer? I think that would be sloppy and damage the frame? Or am I missing somthing?
Email Duncan, he knows his stuff.

evad

Likes Bikes
https://www.diymtb.com.au/displayItems.asp?cid=58

This is what you're after

Enduro Bearing - Cane Creek 1.5 inch headset
Cane Creek 1.5 inch
40mm x 52mm x 6.5mm 36x45 degree
HD 1404K
ACB 6808 CC 3645
$17.05 $18.75 ❌

Thanks Mark, that is the bearing but I'm chasing it in stainless steel hopefully or somthing of better quality, I can get a stainless top one for $25. Looks like cane creek sell one in the 110 series for about $80us but noone over here stock them. I was hoping someone else had done the research and knew where to source them. I have spent too many hours on this, might just have to settle for the stock pos and keep binning them.

mark22

Likes Dirt
ACB's

Thanks Mark, that is the bearing but I'm chasing it in stainless steel hopefully or somthing of better quality, I can get a stainless top one for $25. Looks like cane creek sell one in the 110 series for about $80us but noone over here stock them. I was hoping someone else had done the research and knew where to source them. I have spent too many hours on this, might just have to settle for the stock pos and keep binning them.
No Worries the ACB (angular contact bearings) are a step up from the GP's they should last a lot longer.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Have you tried taking the stuffed one into your local bearing shop to get a replacement?

evad

Likes Bikes
What's causing them to shit themselves and how often?
About 12 months old, just pulled the fork out to service and it fell apart. It had been getting a little crunchy.
My pawl spring and pawls have just rusted and crusted too. It gets a bit wet round here in winter then I wash the mud off. Something that doesn't rust that I can pop the seals on and clean and grease would be ideal. I emailed mtb direct and boc bearings, they're looking into it.

evad

Likes Bikes
Tim Mccullough (Mountain Bikes Direct)

Sep 7, 00:24 AEST

Hey Dave,

Have just checked with the suppliers, and unfortunately both of their bearing suppliers (GP and Enduro) don't make that bearing in Stainless. (The importers have requested it several times)

Sorry mate!
Tim

They are dedicated, check the time on the email!

Still waiting to hear back from boc. Cane creek US site says the 110 series has a SS ball so someone must make them except they don't appear to be available anywhere?

evad

Likes Bikes
Tim Mccullough (Mountain Bikes Direct)

Sep 8, 09:06 AEST

Hey Darren,

I've just noticed that Cane Creek actually do their 110 bearing which is stainless as a replacement part. I've set this up to be ordered in the next cycle - so it should come through in about 2-3 weeks. They're not cheap though, they are likely to be around $60.

Just thought I'd give you the heads up anyway!

Cheers!
Tim

evad

Likes Bikes
Couldn't get the stainless bottom, got the stainless top and standard bottom from Darren at diy mtb. Ordered about lunch time, got them the following morning!
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.