Lowering forks!?!?!?! need some advice.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My forks are society xenos. I pulled them apart a while ago to see what the internals were like on the spring side and have made a little diagram to see if anyone knows if I could lower them.

Im thinking if I stick some spacers on the dampening rod under that spring it will lower it?

diagram

diagram of fork internals2.JPG

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it wont lower it, it will probably just fuck up your preload and make it bottom out prematurely

basically to lower it you need to make the spring smaller and adding spacers will just add preload

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That diagram looks kind of like my DJ3's.

Do you have a top out spring in there?

If so, lowering them can be piss easy.

RevellBikes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That diagram looks kind of like my DJ3's.

Do you have a top out spring in there?

If so, lowering them can be piss easy.

yeah the spring under the dampening rod is the top out spring im pretty sure?

and NH I get what your saying but wont sticking spacers under the damping rod compress the spring making the forks lower? I dont mind if they are hard, I would like that.

Last edited:

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To lower mine, i just cut a spacer and put it on top of, or underneath, depends if your forks are upside down on the floor.

Lowers the forks and works perfect.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah the spring under the dampening rod is the top out spring im pretty sure?

and NH I get what your saying but wont sticking spacers under the damping rod compress the spring making the forks lower? I dont mind if they are hard, I would like that.
the spring will compress yes, but a spacer just takes up the amount it compresses keeping it the same height but making it bottom out earlier

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, every other fork is lowered by shortening the positive spring and lengthening the negative spring, usually done by putting a spacer in between the top out spring and the dampening rod.