Lowering Marzocchi 66 Forks (HELP)

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Hi

I have a set of marzocchi 66 vf2 forks with170mm travel and am looking at lowering them. I have searched and have found very little helpful information regarding this topic. I also have noticed lately a few members on here are very familiar with the workings of suspension forks and may be able to help me.

So here my situation I am upgrading from my 66s to a fox 40 fork for the downhill bike and will have a spare set of 66 hanging around. I thought I would try to use them on another bike but at the travel they are at they wouldn’t suit any bike I own.

So I know it is possible to lower my 06 marzocchi 66vf2 down to 150mm from 170mm. But is it possible to lower to about 100-130 or anywhere between. I am willing to try a fair bit and experiment as they will just be sitting around gathering dust.

Cheers
Ben

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lowering your forks is a fairly complicated procedure if you don't know what you are doing, but it's a breeze once you know. :)

1. Remove foot bolts and drain oil
2. remove the top caps.
3. You should now be able to pull of the lowers. There should be a little more oil that spills.
4. You should now be left with the stantions, and a long silver pole sticking out the end of each.
5. Remove the one in the left leg by simply inverting the fork and allowing it to fall out.
6. On the end of the pole there should be a little spring. This is the top out spring.
7. To lower your forks put some spacers on top of this spring. Make sure the fit well!!!
8. Re-asemble and fill with some more oil (aprox. 250ml i believe)

That should be it!

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Lowering your forks is a fairly complicated procedure if you don't know what you are doing, but it's a breeze once you know. :)

1. Remove foot bolts and drain oil
2. remove the top caps.
3. You should now be able to pull of the lowers. There should be a little more oil that spills.
4. You should now be left with the stantions, and a long silver pole sticking out the end of each.
5. Remove the one in the left leg by simply inverting the fork and allowing it to fall out.
6. On the end of the pole there should be a little spring. This is the top out spring.
7. To lower your forks put some spacers on top of this spring. Make sure the fit well!!!
8. Re-asemble and fill with some more oil (aprox. 250ml i believe)

That should be it!
Yeah i know how to service them and how to pull them apart and re assemble them but to determine how much i will be lowering them do i figure the ratio of travel of the fork to the travel of the bottom out shaft/spring and add washers accordingly?

Also does this lower the fork overall and do i have to add extra oil compared to when they are 170mm?

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The amount of spacers you add more or less directly effects the travel ie. 5cm spacers = 5cm less stantion length.

I would say less oil to be honest,, but don't hold me to that.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
The amount of spacers you add more or less directly effects the travel ie. 5cm spacers = 5cm less stantion length.

I would say less oil to be honest,, but don't hold me to that.
Ok so does that lower the forks axle to crown height at all? ,as this is one of the main reasons i want the travel lowered. Thanks for the help so far you have been very helpful.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so does that lower the forks axle to crown height at all? ,as this is one of the main reasons i want the travel lowered. Thanks for the help so far you have been very helpful.
The spacers effectively pull the stantion lower into the fork lowers, so yes, it does also lower axle to crown height.

No problem mate! Happy to help.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
The spacers effectively pull the stantion lower into the fork lowers, so yes, it does also lower axle to crown height.

No problem mate! Happy to help.
Thanks mate people like you make this forum helpful unlike some others.

Cheers Ben

Smacks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that would be sick like your helpful comment. Thanks mate
Haha, what? It was an honest suggestion. I've seen Totems and 40s run at low travels for street, so why not a 66?

Hell, I think Nemesis Project even used to lower and tune big Marzos.

Relax.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Haha, what? It was an honest suggestion. I've seen Totems and 40s run at low travels for street, so why not a 66?

Hell, I think Nemesis Project even used to lower and tune big Marzos.

Relax.

Sorry mate i just read it as a stupid comment that would come from alot of members on this forum. Well i will probly be running them at about 100mm on a jump style bike in the near future.

Thanks again
Ben