Lube, cleaners, bar ends and other random parts- recommendations?

camt44

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
So getting my new bike tomorrow (Giant Trance X1) so am putting together a list of things I'll need to get... I'm buying the pedals at the store (I think I'll get the JetBlack ones, seem to have good reviews).. What do you think of the below products? I tried to base it off what people on here recommend... Also, where should I buy them? Cell seems to be the cheapest and have a solid range... It's not my first bike or anything so I do have some other things already, these are just the things I meed to get...

Thanks,

Cam

Bike lock:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Kryptonite-B-11L-U-Lock-4x11-5

Shock pump:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Topeak-Pocket-Shock-DXG-pump

Lube:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Rock-N-Roll-4oz-Bike-Chain-Lube

Pump:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/The-Topeak-Mountain-Morph-Bike-Pump-for-mountain-bikes

Chain cleaner:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Pedros-Chain-Machine-Cleaner

Bar ends:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/PRO-Anatomic-Bar-Ends

Bike cleaner:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Prolink-Progold-Bike-Wash-16-9-OZ?sc=34&category=12672

MARKL

Eats Squid
Would help if you post a list of what you already have cause there are not to many mind readers on Rotorburn...and those that are I wouldn't trust their opinion. Anyhow other essentials in my view...

• Tubes
  • Patch kit
  • chain breaker
  • quick link
  • multi tool
  • Tyre levers
  • Camelback

And Willsy is right leave the bar ends and bike wash to gather dust on the shelf.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Always a good idea to get -

Multi tool
Tyre levers (Pump's no good if you have no way of getting your tyre off!)
2 X Spare tubes
Bidon cage and water bottle if your'e not riding with a hydration pack

And if the budget permits... Fist of Adonis.

moorey

call me Mia
All the above and a tyre (not tube) patch (park do nice ones), or a $20 note for covering a slashed tyre on the inside (or a frosty jar or 2 post ride)
fwiw, I only run schrader valves but carry presta, because its usually someone else flatting...and 9/10 they are presta users. Just make sure your pump can do both.

camt44

Likes Bikes
I don't have much; I do have the multi tool, bottle cages, water bottles, cleaning brushes, some oil (getting low so need more), bike stand (which I clean it on) and I think that's about it... so I'll get rid of the bike wash (maybe get that CT18 truck wash instead- cheap and people seem to like it). A bit confused about having the spare tubes (forgot to say I was picking one of them up tomorrow with the bike) and the puncture kit.. isn't it one or the other? Ok so tyre levers as well. And maybe I'll try the bar ends- a mate of mine loves them on his so maybe I'll try them out first... What tyre valves will mine come with? Assuming the pumps will work on them.

For the stuff on the list, are they good choices (like the right lube? I based it all off popularity from this site, so hopefully they are all ok)

Thanks for the help,

Cam

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
I don't have much; I do have the multi tool, bottle cages, water bottles, cleaning brushes, some oil (getting low so need more), bike stand (which I clean it on) and I think that's about it... so I'll get rid of the bike wash (maybe get that CT18 truck wash instead- cheap and people seem to like it). A bit confused about having the spare tubes (forgot to say I was picking one of them up tomorrow with the bike) and the puncture kit.. isn't it one or the other? Ok so tyre levers as well. And maybe I'll try the bar ends- a mate of mine loves them on his so maybe I'll try them out first... What tyre valves will mine come with? Assuming the pumps will work on them.

For the stuff on the list, are they good choices (like the right lube? I based it all off popularity from this site, so hopefully they are all ok)

Thanks for the help,

Cam
Chain lube is really one of those things you'll just work out on your own as some people will swear by one brand/product, but others will hate it... It really is very personal sometimes, which to me always seemed a little odd, since I just found something that worked well and stuck with it. I used to use Rock and Roll lubes, but found the wax, which naturally separates out from the alcohol based solvent when left sitting around, to be quite difficult to use in the cold, for instance at a 24hr race in Canberra, you'll find it just turns to a coagulated mess that needs to be warmed up before you'll be able to use it (body heat, not a flame, it is quite flammable!!!). For the record, I use Squirt Lube, I never seem to run out of those little sample bottles from various races ;)

Truck wash, while it works a treat, is not a good idea as it is too harsh on bearings and seals.

Forget tubes and puncture kits, set your wheels up tubeless! (but still carry a tube, just incase)

I have a set of Zerode Carbon bar ends, I don't use them and they've been sitting around, their yours for a cool $20 if you want a descent product that is quite light.

Dave

MARKL

Eats Squid
... A bit confused about having the spare tubes (forgot to say I was picking one of them up tomorrow with the bike) and the puncture kit.. isn't it one or the other?

Cam
Tube or 2 for when you are riding, patch kit for fixing punctured tube when you get home or fixing that 3rd & 4th puncture you get on a nightmare ride...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
+1 to tube AND patch kit. You can bet your boots if you have a tube but no patches you'll have a bad day & need the patches to fix the second flat!

The Topeak pumps listed on the "wish list" are good. I haven't used either of those particular ones, but if the track pumps (that have outlived anything else through workshop abuse) are anything to go by, they're winners. Your bike comes with Presta valves, so make sure your spare tube is the same, and the pumps are set up the right way (Schraeder in the shock pump. Usually tyre pumps have reversible heads, so it's just a matter of flipping the guts around to suit the particular valve).

Never tried the Prolink bike wash, but I like their chain lube. For a good bikewash, get Muc-Off. Brilliant stuff.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Shraeder for the win!

how the hell would someone manage to do that?

also Ill just add all is carry is:

-a spare tube or 2 depending on ride length.
-quick link
-chain breaker
-crank bros 17 multi tool
-cable ties
-pump
-tire levers

I dont carry a spare hanger but thats recommended. ive snapped 2 of them thus the reason i carry cable ties.

as for the cleaning and other stuff, I just use car wash and i dish cloth on my bike i only clean it properly once a week, also invest in a chain cleaning device and some chain cleaner, makes it come up almost brand new and clean as. I dont have a bike lock because i dont trust any of them and my bike never gets left outside anywhere, way to much value for it to be stolen or damaged. I just ride a crappy bike to the shops.

Last edited:

chrischris

Likes Dirt
Bike wash

Get some of the pink 'Muc-Off' bike wash. I've had a 1L bottle for well over a year. I don't use it very often, but, when your bike is quite muddy/sandy/dirty it is SOOOO much easier to clean.

Highly recommended.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid

Thanks for the help,

Cam
Don't worry about dedicated branded washes like truck wash and muc off.

Even the filthiest bike can be returned to showroom squeaky clean with a bucket of warm water with about a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid like morning fresh. Truck wash is good if your bike is covered in Tar and paint is embedded with gravel particles and rubber. But bikes don't need it.

Just wet the bike with the hose, lather up a big soft soapy sponge in the bucket with some dishwashing liquid and fluff up the bike with soapy water and scrub away.
Hose down. Tick.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All of the above + a money box/tin

The reason for the money box/tin is to collect all your spare change towards buying other bits, like a bike carrier for a car so you can ride trails far and wide.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and how yah gunna carry all this stuff?
46983.jpg

better chuck in one of these as well.

44124.jpg

finally you'll need some of these...

89934.jpg

Last edited:

camt44

Likes Bikes
Thanks again for all the replies. So on Saturday after buying the bike I went and got all the accessories- so I got:

A floor pump (Topeak)
Portable pump (the Topeak mountain morph one with the footstand and hose)
Shock pump (Topeak)
Chain cleaner (Pedro's)
3x tyre levers (Park Tool)
Lube (Rock n Roll Gold)

I completely forgot the tyre puncture kit, but I do have a spare tube.. and when I have some cash again I'm going to buy a full tool kit thing with all those chain breakers etc... I already have a multi-tool which is still going strong. I also ride with a small backpack which stores all my stuff in it that I need, so I didn't get the saddlebag. The GPS unit I didn't get due to money, but I always have my iPhone with me and I pre-load the maps or download the national park topographic maps and load onto my phone and use Avenza to know where I am.

I think that was everything people suggested! Thanks again for all your help, you are all an invaluable resource!

Ps. I used the chain cleaner when I got home on my old bike that I had always taken reasonable care of with regards to cleaning the chain after every ride (hose it down, use a cloth and brush to get everything off and then re-apply the oil) and it was absolutely amazing! Did the whole process about 3 times because there was that much crap coming out of it I cleaned it all up and started again and within 10 minutes the chain looked brand new! It was so easy to do and the results were incredible! I also cleaned the drivetrain with it by changing through all the gears with the soap still on the chain and it cleaned them all up too! I was amazed haha could not more highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't have one..

Cam

For me, Purple Extreme works as a chain lube. They also make a degreaser called "Golden".

Multi-tool - Crank Bros CB17 bombproof and excellent chain splitter.

I also carry a Leatherman as a decent set of pliers, knife etc can be a great help out on the trail.

If you're getting tubes then worth carrying a spare. Maxxlite - very light you wont even know it's there.

Some good quality tyre levers - dont get black as you'll probably lose them! A bright colour, yellow or orange.

A small dual chamber pump - heaps out there.

Some stick on patches (no glue). I have used Leeches for years. Lezyne make some too which are just as good.

General bike cleaner - muc-off or fenwicks.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Thanks again for all the replies. So on Saturday after buying the bike I went and got all the accessories- so I got:

A floor pump (Topeak)
Portable pump (the Topeak mountain morph one with the footstand and hose)
Shock pump (Topeak)
Chain cleaner (Pedro's)
3x tyre levers (Park Tool)
Lube (Rock n Roll Gold)
I'm very similar to this, except swap Topeak for Lezyne, but then I'm a sucker for alloy cnc bling...

For me, Purple Extreme works as a chain lube. They also make a degreaser called "Golden".

Multi-tool - Crank Bros CB17 bombproof and excellent chain splitter.

I also carry a Leatherman as a decent set of pliers, knife etc can be a great help out on the trail.
RnR gold and purple extreme are pretty similar. I have used both and they're great. I agree on the Leatherman.