Lube...

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
Ok guys,
I searched but didnt find quite what I needed.
I have some 06' Boxxer Race forks. I ride in dirty places.
I've found that after a ride, there is a large build up of dirt around the seals of the forks, and I was wondering if just wiping it off for the next ride is good or should I lube the seals with something to keep it running smoothly. What should I do? I usually wipe the seals and dont lube as some lubricants deteriorate rubber, and Im not sure which one to use.
I like my forks running plush and bouncy.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jarrad

udi

swiss cheese
If you wash your bike, use a soft sponge soaked with water and dishwashing detergent to clean around the seals to get any gunk and dirt off.

Then use a small amount of silicone based grease and rub it into both stanchions (just around the bottom). Pump the fork a few times, and you'll see the grease form rings on the stanchion. Rub these rings into the stanchion again (this time the whole length of them) and you're good to go.

You can buy silicone grease from any o-ring/seal shop, but you should be able to find it elsewhere too.

jarrad7

Likes Dirt
Thanks Udi,
Is there anything else I can use to free up my forks, unless its just the cooler weather that is making them a bit stiffer?

thanks,
Jarrad

udi

swiss cheese
Have you tried what I said already? It usually helps noticeably.

Apart from that, the proper solution involves changing the oil in the lowers (RS recommend 15ml of 15wt per lower leg, I run 20ml). At the same time it's worth pulling the lowers off and packing between the dust wiper and oil seal with a healthy amount of the aforementioned silicone grease. The 06 boxxer service manual on the SRAM website should cover the details quite well.