Lucas Heights (Menai)

nosliw

Squid
Hi,

Long time reader and first time poster. I was hoping to get some assistance in locating where the man-made drops/jumps (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hunp9uSBZhc) are in the Lucas Heights trail. I can see a blue trail marked on the map but there appears to be many different trails when viewing via Google satellite view. Any help in pin pointing the area will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

nosliw

Squid
Thanks for the prompt response. Apparently the trail was re-open in May?

From 'nobmob'

Full Description:

The re-opening to this area in May 2014 is another big win for MTB riders in the South. 3 years in the making, this fully sanctioned area dedicated to MTB only. This is a tribute to the work carried out by volunteers & council. With approximately 13 km of single track, this is well worth the visit.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
its on private property unfortunately and the owners have stated that riding it is trespass.

people may still be riding it, but we would appreciate it if you didnt ... understand there isnt much else around for now.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I'm confused
I haven't ridden this area in ages (last time with you Nerf I think)
But was keen to have a visit of the new work if I could find a tour barbie

So the thread that NZhumpy linked to - is the trail in that discussion now closed?
The last comment re a build day is quite recent

Or is the 'old' trail closed (maybe the one referred to in the op's map?)
And the 'new' trail open

moman

Likes Dirt
The op's trail is definitely now closed. Federal police patrolling in 4WD's closed.

But the new trail that is behind the tip and accessed from the the tip entrance road is definitely open and being regularly worked on.

I won't go into too much detail as maybe it is not my place to. I'm sure if you look on Strava though you will see a much used figure 8 trail in there ;)

willsy01

Eats Squid
Why are the Federal Police involved? *puzzled*
The area falls under three jurisdictions. Council land (which we have access to and are building on every second Saturday of the month), Aboriginal land over the back on the Heathcote Road side and ANSTO land which is directly opposite the nuclear site. We don't have access to the Aboriginal land and I don't think we ever will......Council and ANSTO are still in discussions over whether we will be allowed into the ANSTO owned area. ANSTO/AFP actively patrol their land 24/7......so if you go out there, please read the signs and don't venture into their land :)

If you read through the thread that 'Humpy posted, there are instructions on how to access the legal trails.

Last edited:

shore_2

Likes Dirt
The new trail is sweet. Love the new climb that avoids the two way section. What's the hold up with ansto?

mtb1611

Seymour
We don't have access to the Aboriginal land and I don't think we ever will.......
Correct; ALC's are notoriously difficult to deal with (as was the case with Appin) and go out of their way to exclude everyone from the sanctity of their land; unless of course there are large sums of money being dangled in front of them by developers, in which case the sanctity becomes nothing more than sanctimonious hypocrisy.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Correct; ALC's are notoriously difficult to deal with (as was the case with Appin) and go out of their way to exclude everyone from the sanctity of their land; unless of course there are large sums of money being dangled in front of them by developers, in which case the sanctity becomes nothing more than sanctimonious hypocrisy.
Hmm. If I owned a large piece of bush property and trail bike riders/4WD's/Hunters kept pestering me to access my land I wouldn't grant them access either (the point being that not everyone is a mountain bike person). Land rights are not just about sacred rights. Within the development and legal framework people (even First Nationals) are free to do what they want to with the land - include develop property for profit.

I do own a house at the end of a cul-de-sac that borders a park. I absolutely would not allow people to traverse my property to get access to the park. I don't see how this is any different, even though I personally benefited many years from riding at Menai and was sorry to lose access.

bgs

Likes Bikes
I'm confused
I haven't ridden this area in ages (last time with you Nerf I think)
But was keen to have a visit of the new work if I could find a tour barbie

So the thread that NZhumpy linked to - is the trail in that discussion now closed?
The last comment re a build day is quite recent

Or is the 'old' trail closed (maybe the one referred to in the op's map?)
And the 'new' trail open
Mate, I'd be happy to show you around. Send me a message and let me know when you are free and we can tee up a ride. I'd be keen to come up the mountains for a ride in the near future, be great if you could return the favour. Cheers, Brad.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Mate, I'd be happy to show you around. Send me a message and let me know when you are free and we can tee up a ride. I'd be keen to come up the mountains for a ride in the near future, be great if you could return the favour. Cheers, Brad.
Thanks for the info guys - I too have fond memories

Hey Brad
I'll take you up on that to take advantage of your warmer weather
And I can show you some nice trails up here if you don't mind a drive

I'll try and make it down in the next month - thx

bgs

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the info guys - I too have fond memories

Hey Brad
I'll take you up on that to take advantage of your warmer weather
And I can show you some nice trails up here if you don't mind a drive

I'll try and make it down in the next month - thx
No worries, just shoot me a message when you're free.