Lunix: Ubuntu. Any users? What are your thoughts?

indica

Serial flasher
I have looked with no luck.
I want an archiver that can make .rar and have them split.
I have tried rar but the terminal thing fails me, I cant get it to understand where the file is that I want to compress.

Is there something easier with a GUI?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
You don't need to use the terminal with rar. Just right-click on the file(s) you want to compress, and select 'Compress'. A lil' window will pop up with all your options.

indica

Serial flasher
Der.
so the rar option wasn't there before I installed it, hence I couldn't split the file I wanted to.
thanks.

indica

Serial flasher
I want to get a graphice card, nothing flash, just something to lighten the load.
Any recommendation for something that works with Mint?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I want to get a graphice card, nothing flash, just something to lighten the load.
Any recommendation for something that works with Mint?
You should be right with any nVidia card. They have much better Linux drivers than the other mob, from everything I've read.

I've used 3 or 4 different nVidia cards with various flavours of Linux, never had a problem.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Thread resurrection! Just to prove I can use the search function.

So I have not one, not two, but three crappy old laptops running XP, which as we all know is unsupported soon. It has been suggested to me that converting them all to Linux of some kind would be a good idea.

So I have no real professional IT background, but I am not scared of technology. Would like to give it a try, but not really interested if it means rooting around for hours with drivers, and screwing with lots of command line BS. Was thingking one of the more popular versions, Ubuntu or Mint.

What do you reckon? Give it a try? Any advice?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Try Mint. Its the most Windows like Linux distro. With older hardware most linux distros work without any real command line stuffing around.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ubuntu 14 LTS should be out soon, I would recommend getting the kubuntu version of that. The LTS mint version should follow about a month after that. If that matters to you... I prefer Debian because it's a rolling release..

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thread resurrection! Just to prove I can use the search function.

So I have not one, not two, but three crappy old laptops running XP, which as we all know is unsupported soon. It has been suggested to me that converting them all to Linux of some kind would be a good idea.

So I have no real professional IT background, but I am not scared of technology. Would like to give it a try, but not really interested if it means rooting around for hours with drivers, and screwing with lots of command line BS. Was thingking one of the more popular versions, Ubuntu or Mint.

What do you reckon? Give it a try? Any advice?
If you are looking for a Windows like desktop then consider Linux Lite. It's based on Ubtuntu LTS releases and is dead easy to use.

Cheers,
Michael.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I put Ubuntu on an old laptop and was impressed by how quick it was. Fairly easy to get used to as well.

Ultimately I didn't stick with it as a lot of the software I used won't work with it.

indica

Serial flasher
Just updated Linux Mint 15 to 17.1.
Oh my, what an easy process for a clean and fast OS. Highly recommend it. Free, works, and has all you need if you are not a gamer.