Lysterfield Trail Building

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So,

Went to Lysty over the weekend and had a look at the 3 new big features.

Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on this, as I feel they could do with some work, but I am far from an expert so wanted to hear other peoples feedback.

With the two big table tops; both of these seem to have a very steep and short ramp. I found this quite unsettling and felt 'flung' into the air. Making the ramp about a foot longer seems like a good way to 'soften' up this feature and maybe allow people giving it a crack for the first time a more smooth experience.

With the last table top, the small one, right before it there is a set of.. err.. 'bumps(?)' just out of the corner and these seem odd as they unsettle the bike right before a bigger feature. Is this to slow down riders before the feature or? If not, removing these might make that section flow cleaner through the corner and into the tabletop feature.

I am very excited to see these bigger features in Lysterfield and I will enjoy them all the same, but wanted to know if others had similar thoughts.

Cheers.

teK--

Eats Squid
Aneurysm? The two tabletops/gaps jump just fine don't suggest changing them. Agree the last one is a bit awkward approaching it at speed though.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are b lines around them. I hate seeing all the features constantly dumbed down, it's not meant to be an easy trail. If people are struggling, it's not the trails fault.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
There are b lines around them. I hate seeing all the features constantly dumbed down, it's not meant to be an easy trail. If people are struggling, it's not the trails fault.

spot on !!! was devastated when they knocked down all the jumps last time but am so happy that they've built them up again. i understand that it will never be like the you yangs but the more jumps and challenging sections they build are a move in the right direction.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Duane, I agree.

Just thought I would get people's thought as I found these more awkward than anything on say Cressy at YY.

Anyway, as I said I am excited that there are some bigger features on the trail, just found some a bit unusual and certainly I just need some time to adjust.

teK--

Eats Squid
Cressy is a much faster and open track which is why their jumps must have less kick to be safer. In saying that I think the final table top at Cressy has too much vert for the speeds you will approach it at.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Hi Jester

Their is a method to our madness....the features are designed in a way that actually do make beginner riders think twice about hitting the jump. The biggest issue we had on the jumps up top was, speed and people gave them no respect as they looked too easy to ride.

I witnessed a rider break his neck on the table tops and it was just that he did not know how to jump or ride the feature. We spoke with IMBA ( at the time ) and came up with the false gap / double jump. If it is a table top beginners think they can just roll the jump at full speed without a second thought that without a change in body position that the rear wheel willl get bucked..Make it a false gap jump and riders will think twice about attempting it...

As for the "steeper take off ramp" I personaly hit these jumps and I am far from a confident jumper, they are not too steep in my opinion and are 100% rideable for all. Also with a steeper take off it will again put the beginner rider off hitting them before they are able to complete smaller jumps. I have seen beginners hit the jump pull up short and roll out of the jump

As for the rollers before the last table jump we have put this in to slow beginner and intermidate riders down. People were flat landing the last jump and crashing. If you are an advanced rider you can manual through the rollers and maintain speed.

We do not want to dumb the trails down but also have a responsibility to ensure the features are built in a way to minimize Ambulance call outs, Since the last trail modification we have greatly reduced the incidents on this track. We did go out just after Christmas to make a few small changes as we had a couple of serious incidents the prior 2 weeks.

We always are keen to make the trails better and appreciate input from riders, also on a sub note head down to the skills park under the dam wall where all features that we are putting into the trails are there to pracitise and session over and over.

Cheers

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hi Olly76, just wanted to say nice work on the skills park.

I haven't ridden then new feature on Aneurysm yet but I like the theory of 'making new riders think twice'. I thought the step downs at the top were a good way of making people think twice as well.

Last time I was at Lysty I rode Follow me and there was a sign at the top to warn of a couple of new features which was handy. Just a couple of thoughts though. It might be good to put a date on the sign so people know if more work has been done since they last rode it and if possible, it would be great to have a sign at the new feature as well - some sort of warning sign.

Anyway, thanks for all your work on the trails!

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hi Jester

Their is a method to our madness....the features are designed in a way that actually do make beginner riders think twice about hitting the jump. The biggest issue we had on the jumps up top was, speed and people gave them no respect as they looked too easy to ride.

I witnessed a rider break his neck on the table tops and it was just that he did not know how to jump or ride the feature. We spoke with IMBA ( at the time ) and came up with the false gap / double jump. If it is a table top beginners think they can just roll the jump at full speed without a second thought that without a change in body position that the rear wheel willl get bucked..Make it a false gap jump and riders will think twice about attempting it...

As for the "steeper take off ramp" I personaly hit these jumps and I am far from a confident jumper, they are not too steep in my opinion and are 100% rideable for all. Also with a steeper take off it will again put the beginner rider off hitting them before they are able to complete smaller jumps. I have seen beginners hit the jump pull up short and roll out of the jump

As for the rollers before the last table jump we have put this in to slow beginner and intermidate riders down. People were flat landing the last jump and crashing. If you are an advanced rider you can manual through the rollers and maintain speed.

We do not want to dumb the trails down but also have a responsibility to ensure the features are built in a way to minimize Ambulance call outs, Since the last trail modification we have greatly reduced the incidents on this track. We did go out just after Christmas to make a few small changes as we had a couple of serious incidents the prior 2 weeks.

We always are keen to make the trails better and appreciate input from riders, also on a sub note head down to the skills park under the dam wall where all features that we are putting into the trails are there to pracitise and session over and over.

Cheers
Thanks for the response Olly,

Great to hear from the trail builders and have dialogue about features.

I think I will have to head out a few more times and see how these features start to feel after a few goes.

Cheers,

teK--

Eats Squid
Hi Olly76, just wanted to say nice work on the skills park.

I haven't ridden then new feature on Aneurysm yet but I like the theory of 'making new riders think twice'. I thought the step downs at the top were a good way of making people think twice as well.

Last time I was at Lysty I rode Follow me and there was a sign at the top to warn of a couple of new features which was handy. Just a couple of thoughts though. It might be good to put a date on the sign so people know if more work has been done since they last rode it and if possible, it would be great to have a sign at the new feature as well - some sort of warning sign.

Anyway, thanks for all your work on the trails!
Having a "last modified" sign would give a false sense of security and encourage riding flat out the first time. On any trail on a given day should be ridden with caution in first run due to unauthorized changes which might happen or weather damage etc.

danncam

Likes Dirt
What the?

Not quite the right thread but I think is the most used lystie one.
Rode this morning nice and early. Saw a rabbit and the usual kangaroos.
Then I saw a big red horned goat, which I well over 15 years I have never seen before.
And then...there was a section that was "closed" by parks due to heavy machinery, but being Saturday I rode it anyway...and there was two women on horses leading a Shetland pony. I politely pointed out it was a mtb trail, to which they replied "we thought this trail was closed at the moment" :/

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Given you were both on the (closed) trail, I say well played. I guess all you can do then is doff you cap and move on (mind you I'll be pissed when I come across the horse-shoe bumps dried hard in the trail)

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Given you were both on the (closed) trail, I say well played. I guess all you can do then is doff you cap and move on (mind you I'll be pissed when I come across the horse-shoe bumps dried hard in the trail)
I have more concerns over the piles of horse shit they randomly cover the trail in ;)

I rode there today and did the right thing and stayed out of the closed area although it looked like the contractor has closed off more trail heads than necessary.