M2 Widening Works

scblack

Leucocholic
Here in Sydney the M2 is set to start works widening it from 4 lanes to 6 lanes for most of its distance.

Guess what this means? Bicycles will be off limits for the duration of the construction - 2 YEARS! Yes for the next two years we won't be able to ride on the M2. There is an alternative route being put together, but that is on suburban roads.

Who else is gutted by this news?

I commute once a week from Baulkham Hills to Circular Quay so it will add quite some time to my commute. Bastards!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they are also closing the access under the M2 linking Vimera Rd in Marsfield to Kissing Point Rd in Turramurra, plus the access to the bush from there, which seems largely unnecessary to me.

The diversion is a pretty serious diversion too, seems like it would add a far distance to those who ride out that way!

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
I commute from Baulkham Hills to Kent St in the CBD. When I first moved here I did a bit of research and worked out that going via Windsor Rd/M4/Five Dock is quicker than the M2. It's 32km for me and usually takes an hour and ten minutes.
I know it sucks balls that the M2 is closing, but check out the M4 as well as the shitty "alternative" route being proposed.

If anyone from out this way wants to know my exact route, I'll map it out on bikely or something.

PrOd

Likes Dirt
According to the M2 widening website the M2 is closed to cyclists as of today. Has anyone actually seen any signage advising this?

Has anyone ridden the alternative route in peak hour to advise extra cycle time and how safe it is?

davzab

Likes Dirt
Thanks Choi boi.

I'm riding up the coast from the west (blue mtns) on friday just need to know whether to go across the top M7, M2 or as I did last time in along the m4 then up Cumberland hwy.. bit of a shitfight though but may go this way just to avoid being detoured into a potentially worse route..

PrOd

Likes Dirt
According to the M2 widening website the M2 is closed to cyclists as of today. Has anyone actually seen any signage advising this?

Has anyone ridden the alternative route in peak hour to advise extra cycle time and how safe it is?
I can answer my own question. There is next to no signage citybound however there is no longer any breakdown lane in a small section near Windsor rd. There is plenty of signage westbound at Delhi Rd and at the Beecroft entry. The alternative route is safe using backstreets but is a lot more stop/stop due to all the intersections and road crossings. The alternative routes adds roughly 30 mins each way.

scblack

Leucocholic

At the Windsor Rd/Baulkham Hills citybound entry there is signage saying M2 is closed to cyclists with a barrier blocking the breakdown lane.

I think I'll try vandenberg's M4 route soon.