Made a mistake - need a 2nd set of wheels

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Plus the time that you spend swapping wheels and tweaking brake calipers (likely) will be more than the time you lose riding to the trails on the slower tyres !

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yes, a second set would definitely need cassette and rotors. My idea is it would be a quick swap depending what riding I would do.
Are you running boost? If so I have the solution. I have a set of boost 29er x23 wheels with tyres (onza svelts), set up tubeless and with rotors. Yours for $225 posted....

T-Rex

Template denier
Still very much a beginner here

What are the collective thoughts on this - do others have 2 sets of wheels/tyres to do different types of riding?
No. Just just focus on improving your riding, one set of wheels and a compromise tyre.

FWIW, if you really are seriously doing “different types of riding”, get another bike to suit the style. Putting DH tyres (Minions) on your trail bike won’t turn it into a DH bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Putting DH tyres (Minions) on your trail bike won’t turn it into a DH bike.
Minions on a trail bike is ok... just dont expect it to do tarmac and fire tracks well... that grip transpires to digging in, which means slow going.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Not if you pick your wheels with the same brand hubs, usually they'll lire the important bits up the same. I've got two bikes, each with two sets of wheels, Shimano SLX, XT (x2 model generations) and XTR hubs, and can swap any rear wheel between either bike with no adjusments. Fronts are a bit limited because one bike is Q/R and the other is T/A, but again I can swap between each of the wheels for each fork with no brake adjustment. :)
I have no problem swapping most of mine from bike to bike but i am not super fussy and can cope w a few squeaks and rubs.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I went through this a couple of years ago. Decided the Bronson would be my one bike other than the fattie for the beach. Bought a second wheelset and fitted rotors and cassette and soft knobby tyres. Swapped the original wheels with Ardent races for hard pack and tooling around fire roads. Got sick of that really quickly and left the other wheelset on. Then I bought a hardtail and the Bronson was just mountain duties. Now that #1 is riding the Bronson where I ride the hardtail for his exercise the soft tyres are suffering. I think I will swap the other wheelset on or even swap tyres until I need to do a mountain run. That probably wont be until the Toyota virus is done and I can see the knobbies being killedth before then.

ozzybmx

I like the look of the Vittoria Mezcals - thoughts on these ?
On my second set of Vittoria's (on my XC race bike), first set I ran TNT G1 Barzo 2.35 front and Mezcal 2.2 rear, this time I have went for TNT G2.0 Barzo 2.35 front and rear.

Very grippy, mid weight and great puncture protection.

Likes Bikes
On my second set of Vittoria's (on my XC race bike), first set I ran TNT G1 Barzo 2.35 front and Mezcal 2.2 rear, this time I have went for TNT G2.0 Barzo 2.35 front and rear.

Very grippy, mid weight and great puncture protection.
Fast? I’m primarily a road rider (yeah, yeah...) and like going fast.

ozzybmx

If you are riding more gravel and sealed paths than dirt, Mezcals front and read would be a quick combo.

I like the Barzos as I don't swap my XC tyres summer to winter.