Magellan Cyclo 105

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
With a few of the Magellan Cyclo's getting around, I thought I would share my experience so far with my Magellan Cyclo 105.

To start off with, if you have got one and haven't connect it to a computer yet here is a couple of tips for you.
(1) Before downloading the desktop program you need to connect the Magellan to the computer first with the supplied usb cable.
(2) Once connect to the computer, download the desktop program. Doing it this way sets up the usb driver to recognize the Magellan.
Hopefully after doing the above steps all should be running as it is suppose to.

Next tip is attaching the Magellan to a Garmin forward mount.

Next I removed some of the material off the back of the Magellan so it would clip into mount. Without doing it, it would just spin around and not clip in. Its not much material to remove to do the mod as you can see in the pick. The modded clip holes use to look like the two un altered ones.

All fitted up and clips in like a Garmin now.

Im still playing around with my dashboard setup. Just need to get the right altitude app to tell me how many meters I've climbed.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any updates ??

Looking at one of these instead of a Garmin..

magellan gps.jpg

Uploads to STRAVA easy, accurate ?..Some feedback would be good..

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have to say I don't really get that mounting position for a MTB. I can see why it makes sense on a roadie, but on a MTB it just seems way too vulnerable; I'd flip it behind the bars.

ADD

Likes Dirt
Any updates ??

View attachment 277730

I regrettably bought one from Ausbike. Told me they couldn't print a receipt so they'd email me one. Still waiting. I was told its Mac compatible which it isn't. The software for PC is horrible. And Magellan customer service has been pretty lacking too. I live in Seddon and it takes anywhere between 30secs and 5min to connect to a satellite. All the reviews out there for it are bull. Magellan must be paying for advertising space and the reviewer doesn't want to upset them. Get a Garmin.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I regrettably bought one from Ausbike. I was told its Mac compatible which it isn't. The software for PC is horrible. And Magellan customer service has been pretty lacking too. I live in Seddon and it takes anywhere between 30secs and 5min to connect to a satellite. All the reviews out there for it are bull. Magellan must be paying for advertising space and the reviewer doesn't want to upset them. Get a Garmin.
Over the years I have used many brands/models of GPS: bushwalking, driving, boating canoeing, riding and at work (geo referencing sampling sites).

Looks like nothing has changed with Magellan.

Do yourself a favour and go Garmin.

Last edited:

black rider

Likes Dirt
Any updates ??

View attachment 277730

I've both a Cyclo 105 and an Edge 500.

I haven't done any serious tests of accuracy, largely because I just don't care, but running both together on the same ride, the Cyclo recorded around 4km less over 60km. Looking at the GPS map, the Cyclo seemed to deviate from the path more frequently. At Wembo I used the Cyclo after the Garmin battery went flat. The Garmin averaged 17.2km / lap. The Cyclo was 16.3km. I believe the official lap length was close to 17km. Garmin picks up a signal a lot quicker.

Garmin is plug and play. Connecting the Magellan is fun. Took me around 2 hours to get the Cyclo connected to the computer. Needed to download the Magellan software and some drivers, and then fuck around connecting the thing in a certain order. Once you get going, the software still won't recognise it unless you connect it in a certain order. Not Mac compatible. Can't upload to Strava from the Cyclo without first downloading via the Magellan software.

One last thing might be worth noting - I've a cheap external AA battery pack I used for longer rides with an Edge 705 - the Edge 500 will charge off it, but won't record data at the same time. The Magellan will charge and record.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've both a Cyclo 105 and an Edge 500.

I haven't done any serious tests of accuracy, largely because I just don't care, but running both together on the same ride, the Cyclo recorded around 4km less over 60km. Looking at the GPS map, the Cyclo seemed to deviate from the path more frequently. At Wembo I used the Cyclo after the Garmin battery went flat. The Garmin averaged 17.2km / lap. The Cyclo was 16.3km. I believe the official lap length was close to 17km. Garmin picks up a signal a lot quicker.

Garmin is plug and play. Connecting the Magellan is fun. Took me around 2 hours to get the Cyclo connected to the computer. Needed to download the Magellan software and some drivers, and then fuck around connecting the thing in a certain order. Once you get going, the software still won't recognise it unless you connect it in a certain order. Not Mac compatible. Can't upload to Strava from the Cyclo without first downloading via the Magellan software.

One last thing might be worth noting - I've a cheap external AA battery pack I used for longer rides with an Edge 705 - the Edge 500 will charge off it, but won't record data at the same time. The Magellan will charge and record.
This.....:shocked: ....Thank you for the feedback.. Very much appreciated. I have used Garmin in the past, looks like I will do so again.. :whoo:

poita

Likes Dirt
Thought I might as well grave dig :rip: this thread rather than start a new one.

Got my Cyclo 105 cheap off eBay. Initially worked well, but connecting to a computer was interesting. Then it reset itself a couple of times and brought up some real funky settings, pure luck that it started working again. Recently Magellan seem to have switched over to the Cyclo Agent software for this device (previously there was some other shitty program) and I was super stoked. Auto upload to strava or whatever website you like and auto download from device. Now, however the damn thing has started resetting itself again. Time for a garmin :suspicious: