Magic Shine Lights & Service

bakers

Likes Bikes
Hi All

After reading all the reviews on here and MTBR I puchased qty 2 magicshine lights and 4 batteries for preperation of my first 24 hr in january.

Lights were purchase from bikelights.com and on speaking with Paul he looked after me on price. lights were delivered in two days.

On arrival all tested fine (WARNING: do not look into the light when sitiing in your office and turn them on for the first time, they might not be 900 lumen but they are very very bright!!!) but since owning them for a couple of months one of the battery packs failed. I rang Paul and he said dont worry will put another in the post tomorrow. I also mentioned that I had heard that there was now a helmet bracket available and again no worries Ill put that in as well.

Two days later a new battery & helmet mount turn up no charge. :)

These days of trying to get good service face to face let aloan over the net meant I feel obliged to post that the service I recieved from paul was above and beyond what was required and I would be happy to purchase these lights again.

I understand that brand xyz are so much brighter/better/more street cred but if you want an excellent light at a resonable price then you cant go past these.

And no, I have no affiliation with Paul or bikelights.com Just a happy customer.

Just as an aside I also puchased a yellow plastic instrument case from Bunnings for $70 which now houses my lights, batteries, chargers, MP3 & bike computor which means everythig is protected and doesnt get left behind.

Bob

objet

Likes Bikes
A purchased a Magic Shine light off them too, a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it for commuting. I would definitely want a helmet light as well for night bush rides so it's great to hear they now have helmet mounts.

I too have read the various threads on Magic Shine and the light's reliability and features seem to be getting better and better, while the price stays the same.

Will probably get another in the future.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
Hi All

After reading all the reviews on here and MTBR I puchased qty 2 magicshine lights and 4 batteries for preperation of my first 24 hr in january.

Just a matter of interest.
Do you mind telling me, what the whole set up costs you?
PM me if you don't want to post the price.

Cheers

dhd

Downhill Direct
I too have just got some MagicShines and they are very good so far. I'm pretty happy with them. Paid $120 a light.

Pile

Likes Bikes
I bought one light with two batteries for $165 delivered.

When I put them on the bars before a ride I am not getting any oooohs and hmmmms from my mates who aspire to own a bike with hand-made in the US titanium spoke nipples with a matching seat-post clamp, they don't have that bling value. they don't look like ayups, so you can't pass them off as a set, even if you paint them and put ayup stickers on them, so some people will never look at them. I can't have a conversation about lumen ratings, over-volting or emitter variances in a sub-tropical cold snap either, without making a lot of stuff up.

That said, I do know that they sit on my bars and make the high-cred brand HID on my helmet look not nearly worth the money I paid for it in terms of spot and flood. I know that the burn time on both the batteries I have got is pretty much what they advertised, though charge times are a smidge longer, especially when the battery is run to dead flat. The clamps (bar and helmet) aren't the best I have seen, but a bit of old tube and a couple of zip ties and it wasn't going anywhere. I will also confirm that Paul was great to deal with, more than happy to talk me through the details, and when I rang to say I thought a part was missing it was express posted the next day, no questions asked. They have been a sensational buy.

stevexg

Likes Bikes
I have also been very satisfied with the service form bikelights.com.au. Postage was very fast and they have been a pleasure to deal with. The lights are also wicked (better than most of my mate’s more $$ lights!!).

I have also been very satisfied with the service form bikelights.com.au. Postage was very fast and they have been a pleasure to deal with. The lights are also wicked (better than most of my mate’s more $$ lights!!).
Same here.
Paul was very prompt; no probs with gear. I brought 2 light kits, extra battery and 2 x helmet mounts.
And they work well.

Timbo83

Likes Bikes
Are these "newest" version of the Magic Shine lights that have been mention on these forums before?? The ones that apparently have the issues from older version sorted?? ie - heat build-up and swarf issues??

fergo

Likes Dirt
This post has been edited as my original post referred to other source of magicshines at nitelights.com.au, not relevant to this thread of bikelights.com.au

sorry for confusion

Last edited:

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Replacement batteries (or extra's) can be purchased for $35 shipped on Ebay. Good lights for the money... well not really.... These lights cost what light should cost based on the materials that they're made with. It's not that these lights are cheap, it's that the others are way overpriced.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
Bought 5 sets of "magicshine" lights from DX. Spewing now, becasue after the great service in the first post I would much rather have spent my coin there and got local support, local power supply, and helmet mount.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought 5 sets of "magicshine" lights from DX. Spewing now, becasue after the great service in the first post I would much rather have spent my coin there and got local support, local power supply, and helmet mount.
5 sets !!!! How long do you need to ride for ?? :D :confused:

The lights you buy from DX will have the helmet mount included, IF you buy the correct set. I have 2x sets, and both came with a helmet mount.
It cost about $3 to get a pin adaptor off ebay......

Granted, local support is a great value adder. Havnt dealt with the local supplier, but would guess that the level of suport is good ?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have heard a lot about how good this light is, but I wanted to know how it compares in terms of usability for commuting compared to my other option, being AYUPs.

From what I have seen, the AYUP light and battery just velcros onto the helmet for a quick on/off process, whereas the magicshine (apart from also being heavier) requires more fiddling around to get the light on? Is this true from people's experience?

I am in the situation that I would generally ride to work without lights and home with lights, so I am trying to avoid having to spend too long taking them on and off all the time, even though the magicshines have great reviews in terms of the amount of light given off.

anything else to consider?

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It takes 3 minutes to set the lights up on the helmet.
Still, people will be all to willing to rag a product that is cheaper than what they may own.
Sure, its not like the ayup setup, which is bloody clever, but it will hold firm.

I use velcro straps to hold the helmet mount firmly onto the helmet, and have not experienced any unwanted movement from it.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Why not use the handlebar mount?

It takes seconds to undo the o-ring to remove the light from your helmet and the mount stays on the helmet. The battery would take a little longer.

Ay-ups look a lot quicker.

kerrimuir

Cannon Fodder
5 sets !!!! How long do you need to ride for ?? :D :confused:

The lights you buy from DX will have the helmet mount included, IF you buy the correct set. I have 2x sets, and both came with a helmet mount.
It cost about $3 to get a pin adaptor off ebay......

Granted, local support is a great value adder. Havnt dealt with the local supplier, but would guess that the level of suport is good ?
Hi tasty.dirt, besides the pin adaptor, no other issues with the charging transformer, since the US is using 110V and not 220-240 like we are in Oz?