Magicshine bike lights

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Does anyone know what the circuit board in the battery is for?

I pulled my non functioning one apart today and the CB was all corroded. I've pulled it out and just soldered the wires straight to the batteries where the CB was soldered on. It seems to work alright and it still turns the light on the charger to green when it is charged.

There was a piece of cardboard at the end of the battery between it and the CB, you could see it had been wet. I'll be putting them in a balloon from now on to keep them dry.
As has been said lithium iron batteries are very volatile and can vent with high temp flames if overcharged, be careful not to burn down your house.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only Magic for a while then something happens were the battery says it is charge but lasts 10 minutes. My mate has replaced his battery once and new one is stuffed.
AyUps are an investment but invaluable (esp if commuting)
In the long run I reckon the AyUps will provide better value for money.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
As has been said lithium iron batteries are very volatile and can vent with high temp flames if overcharged, be careful not to burn down your house.
True, I just didn't want to scare people and say that. Check out some of the videos Youtube.

Thanks for that.

Anywhere I can get a new PCB? cutter maybe?
You can buy them on the web for a few dollars, although I couldn't find a PCB in that square shape and I'm not sure I would repair it. I sent my battery back for a warranty claim and I have taped up the new one to protect it.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can buy them on the web for a few dollars, although I couldn't find a PCB in that square shape and I'm not sure I would repair it. I sent my battery back for a warranty claim and I have taped up the new one to protect it.
Yeah, I would've done the same but I only got a 3mth warranty ahd I got them last november

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Ordered two healmet-mounted ones on the 16th April, they arrived at my door 21st April all present and correct and functioning. Will compare the beam to Ayups tonight, but on first inspection they are above expectations.
The box they come in is a reusable storage box that magnetically closes too - didn't expect that on a superbudget item.

p.s. They don't come with a user manual of any sort but I found this: http://home.comcast.net/~jharger1/MagicShine instructions.pdf

Last edited:

Lard

Likes Dirt
Ordered two healmet-mounted ones on the 16th April, they arrived at my door 21st April all present and correct and functioning. Will compare the beam to Ayups tonight, but on first inspection they are above expectations.
The box they come in is a reusable storage box that magnetically closes too - didn't expect that on a superbudget item.

p.s. They don't come with a user manual of any sort but I found this: http://home.comcast.net/~jharger1/MagicShine instructions.pdf
Nice find there with the instructions! I ordered a pair on the 13th and they arrived on the 21st, I spose they ship them over in batches. I didn't get the extra helmet mount and extension cables I ordered yet tho. They'll be another few days apparently.

I took the bike for a quick spin around the block last night with 2 lights on high. A car flashed their high beam lights at me even tho both lights were aimed quite low. I think around the streets just low or medium modes will be more than enough with these lights and save high for the singletrack.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Comparing the beam to that of a 2008 model Ayup, it's very similar. The beam angle is a bit wider than the Ayup "intermediate", and the colour temperature a bit warmer. Overall light volume was at least equal to the '08 Ayup. The wider angle and more 'spill' would probably make it better in tight singletrack, but perhaps the 'throw' in terms of ultimate distance was not as good on straight roads. Overall, happy with light output. (On high of course. Low will be used for extending battery life only.)

Light mounting to the bars is dead simple and no cable ties required. However it has to be mounted to one side or other of the stem, meaning it's not necessarily pointing dead straight ahead depending on your bars (unlike the Ayup which straddles the stem and is therefore dead straight - requires cable ties etc though).

Helmet mounting is poor compared ot the Ayup "gecko" system. Cable ties etc are the go to make it work. However it does come with a head harness that makes it easy to use without a helmet. Good as an uber walking/campsite light I guess if you want to scare dropbears away.

Battery mounting is awkward for both bar & helmet applications. No velcro or other means of attaching the battery to the bike or helmet is supplied. The battery pouch does have a belt clip but that's not very useful for cyclists. On the up side, the 1m power lead extension cord makes it easy to stuff the battery in a jersey pocket or whatever. I will be using the velcro straps from my Ayup set - or it's dead easy to make new ones for a couple of dollars from BigW/Kmart etc.

Overall - light performance on a par, a small amount of hassle, but a huge amount of value...

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have bought 2 from DX. A mate has put thermal paste on them, and sealant on the battery to "waterproof" them as the factory is pretty blase' in that regards.

To mount the battery under the stem, remove the headband off the mount with a razor blade/scissors and wrap that around the battery,going through the belt clip on the battery cover and over the stem several times, then threading the strap through the "buckle" on the other end of the strap. This has proved to be sturdy over bumps,etc.

The lights are great....as it has been said before, for the price.

They have given me the opportunity to ride more often. AND, 'cause I got 2x, my 12y.o daughter has just had her first night riding experience with me !!!

Thats got to be priceless. I sure think so !!!

ShaunAR

Likes Bikes
Mounting batteries

If you are getting two lights, get one of them without the helmet mount as it comes with a different battery pounch, which allows mounting under the stem.

secondly dont go straight for zip ties for the helmet mount, if you remove the elastic strap supplied by cutting the loop of strap which attaches to the size adjustment buckle thing, you can attach the light to your helmet in a similar style to how you fasten a climbing harness and remove it afterwards if you wish.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i just picked up a set of 1400's.
the quality of the unit was much better than i was expecting.
the lights output is awesome. it has a really wide spread with the 2 outside lights, and a long spotter with the the central light.
to be honest, it is overkill with all 3 lights running.

very happy with the purchase.
http://www.thesingletrackstore.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67
bought from these guys. very fast shipping, and great customer service.

raven

Squid
These lights are good...but the switch has stopped working on mine.

Just plugging it in several times until it comes on and away i go...
but the little button glowing green doesn't do shit.:mad:

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Just plugging it in several times until it comes on and away i go...
but the little button glowing green doesn't do shit.:mad:
My first light did the same thing. It stopped working after a couple of rides though. The second light wouldn't switch between Hi Med Low and the third is okay at the moment.

The Green/Red light seems to work okay and you have some idea of charge level.

galumay

Likes Bikes
My MagicShine combo arrived today, 7 1/2 days after ordering. Shit it takes longer than that to get stuff posted here from Sydney. (really.)

Very impressed, so far I have blinded my wife, cauterised a cut on my sons leg, cooked 2 magpie geese and melted 20 metres of bitumen.

Smacko

Squid
Replacement Batter

When the battery goes, and they do sooner or later due to the balance circuit in the pack being next to useless, purchase a 7.4V LiPo Battery and balance charger. (Hobby King is a good starting point - RC hobby supplier) You can get the correct connectors from Jaycar (standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC from memory) and solder these to the LiPo. For a 5.8Ah battery I payed under $30 and chargers can be had for as little as $8. Lower Capacity LiPos go for as little as $10. (i.e my 2.2Ah backup battery in case I go flat in the field)

While you're at it, disassemble the old pack and remove the balance circuit. Solder on a balance lead and plug, then use your new balance charger to balance and charge your old pack. If mine is anything to go buy, after about a year it had 3.5V in one pair of cells and 4.1V in the other.... hardly conducive to getting a full 3 hours running time out of each charge. One balance cycle on the charger has fixed this. Just be sure to get a low voltage alarm so you don't over discharge the pack. ($3 from any good Chinese hobby site)
I love these lights, but they're let down by a poor battery circuit. A LiPo conversion will correct this.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
They don't all go. Call it luck or whatever, but my two which have been used shitloads are still good as new.
My bro-in-law's 2 lights and 5 batteries are also quite fine.

I'm not saying some people don't have problems, that's obvious, but it's equally obvious that they don't "all go".