Magpie Prevention

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Feeding them helps, and they're quite partial to cat food. Used to be a nest around the corner from me, right next to a bus stop mind you. Fecker had a 10 acre bush reserve right across the road to nest in, but noooo.....
this one was ok if we were on a bmx, not too bad on my Norco, but holy hell would break loose if it spotted me when I was riding the crappy trailer bike! Took a full season of offering propitiation in the form of food gifts, but worth it. Bloody hurts when they hit you full in the helmet.

kand

Likes Dirt
I like the idea of feeding a resident Maggie if you pass through it's turf often enough for it to recognize you and let you pay a mince or bacon toll.
what about a maggy meat tray attached to your helmet, thus when they swoop, they go oh...tasty morsels.yum, yum....

stirk

Burner
I reckon magpies read these forums. Over the years they have extended their territory. I had one years ago on the highway at Wenty Falls snap my ear for over a kilometre. When I was a kid it was a 50m radius. And the swooping season is going for longer. Those little shits are having a frigging lend of us!

And they target me. Seriously, they hate me. I'm the biggest animal lover and protector of native wildlife there is. And they go me.

I love their summer warble, I love their black and white and their hopping around the lawn. But they are fucking morons sometimes.
Every Magpie I see I whistle as best I can in a Magpie tune what I think is a hello.

I've been swooped once, maybe I was out of tune.

But I ride in the bush 95% of the time and these domesticated Magpies seem to leave the mountain bikers alone and just target roadies, I'm ok with that the state of play :)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I reckon magpies read these forums. Over the years they have extended their territory. I had one years ago on the highway at Wenty Falls snap my ear for over a kilometre. When I was a kid it was a 50m radius. And the swooping season is going for longer. Those little shits are having a frigging lend of us!
One listed here, https://www.magpiealert.com/All-Australia-Magpie-Map.php

I've had one crazy one swoop me on the end of the T-Way and drew blood under my eye. I don't ride without glasses. I've also been bitten underneath the earlobe but a snarky stealthy one.

Mum has about 10 of them hang around here backyard everyday. They sit on the window sill and wait for food which she is trying to hold back on since it will only bring more. One sniff of food and the whole family and cousins turn up.

If they had hands and opposable thumbs, I'd put my money on them to win the next global war or at the very least, an election of a sizable country.

stirk

Burner
One listed here, https://www.magpiealert.com/All-Australia-Magpie-Map.php

I've had one crazy one swoop me on the end of the T-Way and drew blood under my eye. I don't ride without glasses. I've also been bitten underneath the earlobe but a snarky stealthy one.

Mum has about 10 of them hang around here backyard everyday. They sit on the window sill and wait for food which she is trying to hold back on since it will only bring more. One sniff of food and the whole family and cousins turn up.

If they had hands and opposable thumbs, I'd put my money on them to win the next global war or at the very least, an election of a sizable country.
As I said above, they like to blood bloody roadies.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
As I said above, they like to blood bloody roadies.
My earlobe-o-lectomy attempt happened on MTB, unfortunately. Maybe they get pissy navigating trees on their death dives or just get a better strike rate on roadie zones.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
It's pretty cool sitting under a tree with a magpie warbling away, I've many memories sitting under a willow on the family farm overlooking the Gippsland lakes with a family of maggies singing away. Never a threat any time of the year. We would feed them.

Urban sprawl and abuse would be the cause of their behaviour changes in guessing?. Closer to a school, the worse they seem to be, I'm guessing it's from kids relentless throwing of rocks.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Magpies no longer attack me, they just come to
Say hello.
They do like to be paid with food however. They are really just like the Mob, you
Have to pay them off for protection or they come pecking.
Got to love the little buggers.