Magura brake quick bleed

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The new bike has Magura MT5s on it. It's got a bit of fade. Can you do a quick lever bleed like shimano by sticking a syringe with some "Blood" in the EBT hole and pumping the lever?? Like you could do with Shimano using the cup? I don't have a bleed kit yet.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Yes you can for sure. Won't give you perfect results but it should get rid of some/most of the air in the master.

LPG

likes thicc birds
The new bike has Magura MT5s on it. It's got a bit of fade. Can you do a quick lever bleed like shimano by sticking a syringe with some "Blood" in the EBT hole and pumping the lever?? Like you could do with Shimano using the cup? I don't have a bleed kit yet.
I picked up a bleed kit with mine so haven't tried the quick method but it would probably work.

From what I've read some people have trouble with the genuine magura bleed kit as the lever end connection can suck air in if you dont get the connection right. I got another kit that has screw in connections both ends and I am happy with it and dont have the issue getting the bleed right that some people have reported.

Btw don't overtighten the lever end plug after bleeding. They are nylon and will strip if you go too tight.

DMan

I picked up a bleed kit with mine so haven't tried the quick method but it would probably work.

From what I've read some people have trouble with the genuine magura bleed kit as the lever end connection can suck air in if you dont get the connection right. I got another kit that has screw in connections both ends and I am happy with it and dont have the issue getting the bleed right that some people have reported.

Btw don't overtighten the lever end plug after bleeding. They are nylon and will strip if you go too tight.
What was the second kit you got if I may ask, with the screw in fittings?

LPG

likes thicc birds
What was the second kit you got if I may ask, with the screw in fittings?
Quaxar bleed kit for magura (came from bikediscount.de). The mt5s are awesome brakes, even better with some semimetallic pads instead of the resin

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bleeding the brake will do exactly nothing to fix brake fade, because fade is a friction problem, not a pressure problem. Brake fade is the loss of friction/braking power caused by overheating and glazing of the brake pads (usually accompanied by a lot of noise!).If the bike is pretty new, it's probably a symptom of poor bedding in.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Bleeding the brake will do exactly nothing to fix brake fade, because fade is a friction problem, not a pressure problem. Brake fade is the loss of friction/braking power caused by overheating and glazing of the brake pads (usually accompanied by a lot of noise!).If the bike is pretty new, it's probably a symptom of poor bedding in.
That is a good point. The MT5s do take a bit more effort to bed in than sramano brakes.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
No exp with mt5s (until my new ones arrive... Soon... Hence my interest) but older magura (non flipflop) levers always bled well for me. Aren't there bleed ports top/bottom? Seems an oversight...

Anyhow +1 to bedding in. 20 hard stops from 60-10km/h I read somewhere, and I've never worked/lived at the top of a big enough hill to achieve that...

Also magura rotors are thicker than sramanohope, if that makes a difference...

DMan

There you go. I'm was going to fit a set of semi sintered pads and planned to do a mini bleed. Spongy brakes are air in the lines though isn't it?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Second this. They spec something silly like 1nm or something. Essentially you should twist a torx between you thumb and forefinger and that’s all the force you need