Magura Wotan's

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
G'day i have a set of 2009 Magura Wotan 160's, thought i would post up a quick review.

double arch design

for starters im a 6'3" 93kg rider and the forks are on Knolly Delerium -T
magura advertise it as a "enduro" / "light freeride fork"

i have had the forks for about 2 weeks now and have ridden them on a fair few different tracks, including rocky fireroad descents, light DH, and singletrack. it swallows rocks very effectivley, no complaints from the seals after being ridden in mud / water for 90% of the time.

the first thing most of the people i have leant the bike to, and one of the first things i noticed was the smoothness of the forks. they eat up the full 160mm's smoothly and there is no bottom out clunk or harshness when using all of the travel.
the stiffness with the double arch and 20mm maxle is pretty impressive as with the relative lightness of the forks.
there is an adjustable pedaling platform (albert select+) which allows you to lock the fork for climbing or sprinting and it will activate when it takes a big enough hit.
there is a bit of a top out noise after a few days but that is aparently a magura thing and you hardly notice it.

for the adjustment freaks there is no compression adjustment, but magura throw in an awesome shock pump for adjusting preassures.

downsides, the handlebar mounted travel adjuster 120mm-160mm fells cheap and nasty and when it gest muddied up doesnt work properly, with a few mods / cleaning it should come good (the last pic shows the travel adjuster knob on the for, good luck grabbing that and turning it with a glove on)

i would reccomend these to a heavy duty trail / all mountain rider that wants something to eat up rocky descents and still lock it out / drop it down for climbs.

price. they go from about 1300-1500 and come in black or white with red socks.

fairy1

Banned
So they still have the top out clunk, that's a bit of a bummer. You should get a year out of the seals easy mine spent days out in the mud and rain when I was doing track work.
Thanks for the review, it will be good to see how yours go long term.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
How stiff/ responsive are they under a bit of a drop?

Odd that is has no low/hi speed adjustment on them, what rates would you compare them to on say a fox or lyrik comparison.

Would be keen for updates for the next months before i make the final decision.

What is their axle to crown height set at 140mm?

If the Thor is anything like a pike equivalent in terms of the abuse it could take I'd be happy.

Their RRP can be found at http://www.alinecycling.com.au/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=0

ssb2005

Likes Bikes
they are very rigid under a drop and they dont seem to wallow around.
i would have to ride them back to back with the forks to comare rates the only other forks i have had a play with are van 36's, revalation 426's and a set of totems.
there is no measurement on the side of the fork leg to set it to exactly 140mm to measure but the fork lenght (drop out to crown) is 540mm