mail order places

timmyDH

what are some good mail order places in the US? who's the best to deal with? web address's if possible.

Damo

Likes Dirt
I have to say www.jensonusa.com is one of the best. www.supergo.com is also up there. You can pretty well tell how good a e-retailer is by the quality of their web site. Things to look for are:
- good info on shipping methods and charges
- a secured site for payments.

If ya also have a look at www.mtbr.com (they are a mtb review site) they are sponsored by a lot of recognised mail order sites. Their little pop-up adds come up all the time.

The only other piece of info worth passing on is to buy when the AUD is really strong (ie now is pretty good at around 1USD/ 0.66AUD) & to also realise that on most bikes and bits you will pay duty tax @ 5% of the original purchase in AUD + Shipping in AUD + GST @ 10%

hope this helps

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say www.jensonusa.com has got to be the best of the US mail order sites that i know of, they have the best prices and also really good customer service.
For example: i just bought a full set of XT hydraulic disc brakes (yes, front and rear) for $360Aud including shipping!

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep, jensonusa.com gets my vote i just bought everything except the frame from jenson - all went down no problems at all - and took about a week after completeing the order to get here.

matt462

Likes Dirt
i just got an order back from jenson, they stuffed up a little and charged me then realised somethings were out of stock, i sent them an email took them 4 days to respond but they upgraded the out of stock stuff from lx to xt, so in the end i was happy with the stuff up.

Fedex took 3 days from jenson to my door.

Remember you need to pay the good old GST at customs.

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
I've used that site for 5 years now and bought a heap of gear from the US, Sometime I pay duty sometimes I don't. Just gotta be lucky.

But yeah it's da sheeet!!!

dillon

Likes Dirt
I can recommend Jenson, Supergo and Comparison.
Remember there is no duty on parts, only 5% on frames and forks, but sometimes they don't know what the product description means anyway.
You always pay GST and $55 customs processing fee when you use an international courier as opposed to USPS.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dont have any recomendations, but I was looking at getting a set of 03 Psylo Sl's form pricepoint.com....$710AUD after shipping and tax.

One bit of advice is to make sure you add the price porperly, include the shipping costs aswell as tax... For a good Currancy Rate converter go to www.xe.com, its upto date andd really simple to use.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just watch out for customs. I just got a set of XT disc brought into the country and i got bitch slapped with $85 at customs. If what you're buying cost over $250Aud you will have to pay $40 at customs and i payed $39 or something in GST.
I'd say leave an extra $100 around for customs and GST.

sprucas_fab3

Likes Dirt
there is also www.bikeusa.com - which has some good gear...
www.supergo.com has a lot of specials but often times last years style - brand new though and it will work a charm
another awesome place to find stuff is on ebay.com - a lot of legitimate businesses trade through ebay.com - it means they don't have to have a shop front and also its real good cause the people often help out with getting stuff through customs
still the biggest downside to getting stuff from the USA is the cost of postage - i recently found an awesome set of forks in the US that were real cheap but the cost of getting em to australia made the total price more costly than just buying the forks in australia
i highly recommend the ebay.com shops - you can pick a shop cause they have usually sold 1000's of items through ebay
make sure when you search ebay though that you find items from sellers who are prepared to send stuff to aussie land - usual cost of freight depends on weight i have never paid more than USD$20

dillon

Likes Dirt
bikeman_baldrik :
Always factor in Customs, Duty and GST. If you don't get charged, it's a bonus. But you will always be charged if using an intl. courier as opposed to USPS/Aust. Post.