Maintenance - Noisy Drivetrain

Exie

Likes Dirt
Hi Burners,

I've noticed my drive train seems to be getting noisier, not sure if I should replace the chain, cassette, derailleur ?

Perhaps its just an alignment problem ?

Perhaps its just normal ?

What do you you all think
https://youtu.be/VP6k1yVdggE

Exie

Likes Dirt
How much do you know about maintenance/how much have you done?
Basic stuff I can handle, I can replace stuff and clean stuff. Prefer to take it to the shop for alignment things.

Having said that, every time I take it to the shop I loose the bike for 2 weeks, so I prefer not to take there unless I have to.

moorey

call me Mia
Basic stuff I can handle, I can replace stuff and clean stuff. Prefer to take it to the shop for alignment things.

Having said that, every time I take it to the shop I loose the bike for 2 weeks, so I prefer not to take there unless I have to.
It's hard to tell, but could simply be a tune needed...but could be a worn chain and/or cassette or numerous other things. Have you tweaked barrel adjuster at least?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
is it in every gear?
How old is the chain and cassette?
Have you used and abused it?

From the sounds of the video, it's chain and jockey wheels or a chain and cassette issue. Chain doesn't sound as though it's skipping due to tuning.

moorey

call me Mia
Shimano chain? Is it on backwards?

Sent from two tin cans joined by string
All that allegedly does is slightly impact on upshifts of front rings. I've deliberately tried the backwards on 1x and found no change I could detect.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
You may be correct moorey but I recall one making all sorts of noises when I accidentally installed it backwards (shifted horribly too) - not hard to check and very cheap to fix

Exie

Likes Dirt
is it in every gear?
How old is the chain and cassette?
Have you used and abused it?

From the sounds of the video, it's chain and jockey wheels or a chain and cassette issue. Chain doesn't sound as though it's skipping due to tuning.
Thanks for the ideas, I have tried the barrel adjusters, but to no avail.

It does happen in every gear (the noise).
It does not seem to skip or anything.

The whole drivetrain was replaced in July, so not that old.

It's actually not a shimano chain, it's a KMC X10SL, looks bling and I haven't had one rust up like the Shimano's do.

The direction is a good point, I'll double check this, I'm not sure what the "right" way is, but I did mark one side of one link so that I could be consistent with it.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Shimano chain? Is it on backwards?

All that allegedly does is slightly impact on upshifts of front rings. I've deliberately tried the backwards on 1x and found no change I could detect.
That's a thing?
What rock have you been living under? Shimano 10 & 11-sp. chains have been directional for about eight years now....

Being on backwards doesn't generate any more noise than being around the right way on normal running, but does affect shifting at both ends of the drivetrain.

moorey

call me Mia
What rock have you been living under? Shimano 10 & 11-sp. chains have been directional for about eight years now....

Being on backwards doesn't generate any more noise than being around the right way on normal running, but does affect shifting at both ends of the drivetrain.
I know it's meant to. I just didn't experience that.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Its actually not a shimano chain, it's a KCNC X10SL, looks bling and I haven't had one rust up like the Shimano's do.

The direction is a good point, I'll double check this, I'm not sure what the "right" way is, but I did mark one side of one link so that I could be consistent with it.
That KMC chain is not directional.

If that's your bike in the vid, the top jockey wheel is a long way below the sprocket it feeds the chain to.

It should be closer and further forward (in that gear it should be well forward of the axle of the wheel and the chain between sprocket and jockey wheel closer to horizontal).

Check B screw adjustment in large sprocket.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

A big rock called sram...or kmc. I haven't used a shimano chain in many long times. Also only started 10 speed set up last year. Breathes sigh of relief.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You are always going to get a bit of buzz noise on a well worn drive chain, it's hard to tell the extremity of the noise without hearing it in real life. I would check the chain stretch with a good quality ruler and not by those chain checking tools as they can be all over the place. I found a heavy application of a good lube quiets it down some what and those gold KMC chains can make a loud dry chain noise. Also check your jockey wheel bearings for roughness and that the clutch on the derailleur is working fine (not seized or overly tight). Other than that if it shifts well and no slippage on the chain just keep riding it.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Could the noise be coming from the front chain ring?

Have seen a bike where owner had been playing with everything in the rear, and it sounded to me like the front ring was worn - swapped front ring, and noise went away. Don't assume the source of the noise is exactly where it seems to be coming from

Exie

Likes Dirt
That KMC chain is not directional.

If that's your bike in the vid, the top jockey wheel is a long way below the sprocket it feeds the chain to.

It should be closer and further forward (in that gear it should be well forward of the axle of the wheel and the chain between sprocket and jockey wheel closer to horizontal).

Check B screw adjustment in large sprocket.
Thats very interesting, I just went out to the shed and had a play with the B screw, if I went too far it didnt shift nicely into the 36t, so I backed it out until it still sifted up nicely, its now much further forward and closer through the rest of the casette.

This made it slightly quieter, but it still sounded noisy.

So whilst I was there, I pulled the cage off and took the jockey wheels out, I had spares to put in, so thought why not, and I popped the rubber seal off. Needless to say it was dryer than a monk on sunday! So I packed them with grease and put the seals back and re-assembled it all.

It's now ~70% quieter. So I think this was the root cause. Obviously the drive train makes some noise, and the chain is probably a bit worn, but I'm now happy with it.

Thanks for all for the suggestions!