Majura - How long until construction?

nickz

Likes Dirt
I'm keen to have one more ride at Majura, when does construction of the new roadway begin? I don't want to miss out riding in the pines one more time!!

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
From what i have gathered not all the trails will be affected, just the lower half with more xc trails etc theres a little map at the top of blue gravel road saying what is affected and what isnt

Permanent, the reason is Becuase they are not just putting a new lane on majura road, majura road will become just farm and majura park access, the majura parkway is being built as a totally new dual carriage way to bypass all the majura farms and shopping areas for trucking. The dual carriage way will be going through the lower section of pines.

I think thy close it and start logging the lower section on the 28th july or around then.

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
The area to be felled and thinned over the next couple of months is up on the noticeboard at Majura, basically a strip between Majura Rd and the first firetrail up the hill.

The upper part of the pines should be unaffected by the construction.

CT

Knopey

Likes Dirt
I think around Saturday 28th July or so is the last day that it will be available to ride. Whether the whole area is off limits during tree felling/construction, or only the lower portion, not sure.

piner

Squid
The corridor for the new road runs in the section below the first fire trail and above the dam - George and Pooklestien/Intestinal Tract are the main victims, boo hoo. But they say most of the rest of the forest is going to be thinned as well - not sure how much damage that will do but I wouldn't be expecting easy access for a while, then some fairy work might be needed before trails are ridable.

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Tweeted this pick on Saturday - https://twitter.com/ABandAssociates/status/229146990506819585/photo/1

On Saturday they had spray painted many of the trees due to be cut down and had sent the dozers in to ensure the fire roads can take the logging trucks. Works should be starting this week (31 July) and are due to be complete by the end of September.

What you see on the map is
1) the yellow section - this is where the road is gong to be constructed and the area will be clear felled.
2) Light green areas - these area were thinned in 2003 and little or no work will occur in there
3) Dark green area - these areas will be thinned and, as a result, the majority of the trails in this area will be destroyed/significantly impacted
4) Brown areas - slopes greater that 15 degrees will not be thinned
5) Blue areas - there should be a 10-15m buffer where no logging activity should occur (except in the yellow section).

So in short, between 75% and 90% of the trails within Majura will be impacted upon with the reality being that those trail not impacted upon will not be able to be linked up.

It will be sometime before Majura will be a riding destination again

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
Tweeted this pick on Saturday - https://twitter.com/ABandAssociates/status/229146990506819585/photo/1

On Saturday they had spray painted many of the trees due to be cut down and had sent the dozers in to ensure the fire roads can take the logging trucks. Works should be starting this week (31 July) and are due to be complete by the end of September.

What you see on the map is
1) the yellow section - this is where the road is gong to be constructed and the area will be clear felled.
2) Light green areas - these area were thinned in 2003 and little or no work will occur in there
3) Dark green area - these areas will be thinned and, as a result, the majority of the trails in this area will be destroyed/significantly impacted
4) Brown areas - slopes greater that 15 degrees will not be thinned
5) Blue areas - there should be a 10-15m buffer where no logging activity should occur (except in the yellow section).

So in short, between 75% and 90% of the trails within Majura will be impacted upon with the reality being that those trail not impacted upon will not be able to be linked up.

I'm keen to have one more ride at Majura, when does construction of the new roadway begin? I don't want to miss out riding in the pines one more time!!
I think we missed the boat nickz...

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats sad. Some of my best riding memories have come from that part of the wild. Yay for looking after the planet by smashing a place where thousands of people spend their time to pieces!

dhd

Downhill Direct
Rode there Thursday (2nd August) and there was definite signs of work being done. I reckon you could get a last ride in this weekend without much drama. I took a few helmet cams of some of the lower trails that will go just for old time sake! It was kinda unbelievable riding through there thinking it may be the last time after riding there a few times a week for nearly 20 years.....

On a positive note though.....(if there is one) It looks like the majority of DH trails will be unaffected...

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
What if one was to enter the area via the fire trail from Hackett?
Would this avoid the area be worked on?
And, whats the ride in like?

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
At the moment that should be fine but if you check out the picture on the link I posted above you will see that this is an area that will be logged (thinned).

Not sure how long until they move up to this area but most work in the whole forest is due to be finished by 15 September

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
At the moment that should be fine but if you check out the picture on the link I posted above you will see that this is an area that will be logged (thinned).

Not sure how long until they move up to this area but most work in the whole forest is due to be finished by 15 September
Cheers mate,
I've only been able to view the pic on my phone so its hard to tell whats what.
Might be best if I just skip majura and ride elsewhere next weekend...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2