making my bmx lighter

sketchyC

Likes Dirt
How much money do you have to spend to loose some weight? Frame, Bars, Fork and Cranks is where most of your weight will be.

Firstly if you want to make the bike feel lighter, try loosing weight off the wheels, Rolling resistance effects your spins, manuals, etc.

You can get a sealed cassette 9tooth rear wheel for about $160 from your LBS, and they arnt too tank.

Probs look at getting some odyssey path plytes, 1.85 rear and 2.1 front. I suppose its a start =]

jackaroo

Likes Dirt
I dont think its about making your bike feel lighter, its about getting the best feel for you when riding the bike. Also most of the time a light bike with light parts isn't going to hold up to some of the stuff you will want to do. The best thing is to get a good solid bike that suits your riding style and you feel comfortable on.

BMX_4_LIFE

Likes Bikes
best way would be to start off with your tyres, foldable maxxis griffters are light and aslo cheap at 40-45 each, then cut your post down ect,

Jordy

RYD4LF
go an integrated seat/post combo, take all the front brake assembly and gyro off and run a single cable. no point in going to a smaller sprocket, the current one on it is just a pressed steel one anyway, there will be fuck all weight saving for the $200 odd to upgrade the rear wheel/sprocket. for those mods i lifted you should get out of it for about $60-70 if you can fit them yourself or add another $15 for your local shop to fit them. In the end your stuck with a hi-tensile steel frame and most probably forks and bars so there isnt really any point on spending more on it. save your pennies and either try to find something second hand or buy something brand new. with at least a cromo mainframe and cromo bars/forks.

AshR

Likes Dirt
The issue isn't your bike is too heavy, its just that you don't know how to ride.
Get rid of the reflectors will help save a bit of weight :p
^^ LOL

first question, what are you using the bike for?

if you're tooling round the street = no need to save weight

if you're dirt jumping = probably don't need to save weight

how much do you weigh? because if you're a big person, you're not going to leave the ground as easy (that damn gravity just likes you too much)

if you're having trouble doing bunny hops etc for flatland maybe push-ups might be a good start to build some muscle in your arms?

but answer the first question then we can go from there :)

id chop the seat post and lose the gyro but really if you want to make that bike a lot lighter you would have to get a better frame or forks also cranks and wheelsets are ussually heavy on a bmx looking at pc parts like pedals or seats could help you.