making my boxers sweeeeeeet

trobb

Likes Dirt
hey all u guys/girls with boxers or maybe even someother fork, i recently bought mochie springs medium and put them in my boxers with a mix of 5.10.20 weight oild.
my forks r the nicestv plushest things in the west i recomend u give it a shot if u enjoy dh mor than drops

S.

ex offender
You mixed 5, 10 and 20 weight oil? You do realise that mixing 5wt and 20wt gives you 10wt? (if you mix the same amount of each)

Sounds good though!

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
different weight oils should sit at different levels.... then again i'm not real fork internals know it all. so i should probably shutup at this point. is mixing oils a common practice? I have never heard of it before.

S.

ex offender
Pana said:
different weight oils should sit at different levels.... then again i'm not real fork internals know it all. so i should probably shutup at this point. is mixing oils a common practice? I have never heard of it before.
It's used for fine tuning forks. Say you find 10wt to be too slow, and 7wt to be too fast (you'd have to be pretty picky), you can mix equal amounts of 7wt and 10wt to get 8.5wt oil. You can work out exact weights if you want to be techy, but I seriously doubt you'd notice the difference between 9wt and 10wt or whatever. Different weight oils don't sit separately, being non-polar molecules they'll all happily dissolve in each other.

CHEWY: Are you serious?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
haha yes im pretty sure vicmtb did it, and i dont think there the best feelin forks there soooooooo soft

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's called "plush" and thats how most ppl run them for dh racing from what i've seen at the races ( i could be wrong i'm sure socket will let me know if i am :lol: )

S.

ex offender
CHEWY said:
haha yes im pretty sure vicmtb did it, and i dont think there the best feelin forks there soooooooo soft
VicMTB, self-proclaimed (but nobody else-proclaimed) suspension experts, mixed 5, 10 and 20wt oil? What the FARK?! Why?! If they wanted a very specific weight of oil, they could have done it with only two of the oil weights...

S.

ex offender
oz-freerider said:
it's called "plush" and thats how most ppl run them for dh racing from what i've seen at the races ( i could be wrong i'm sure socket will let me know if i am :lol: )
Nah you're right, race setups tend to be soft and plush, whereas if you're doing drops n stuff, ya don't want forks that can be bottomed by bunnyhopping (yes I've felt a few boxxers that could).

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Socket said:
oz-freerider said:
Nah you're right, race setups tend to be soft and plush, whereas if you're doing drops n stuff, ya don't want forks that can be bottomed by bunnyhopping (yes I've felt a few boxxers that could).
that would be robs forks, bottoms off everything, i know there like that for dh but he doesnt really race as much as he does general freeriding i think he could find a better setup than what hes got

S.

ex offender
Ok, here is how you obtain 1 litre of 12.5wt oil:

Start with 10wt and 20wt oil, work out the difference between the oil weights, and the resultant ratio of the difference between 10wt oil and the desired oil weight, and the difference between 20wt oil and 10wt oil. The ratio in this case is 1:4. This tells you that you will need 25% (conveniently 250mL) 20wt oil and 75% (750mL) 10wt oil, which, when mixed will give you exactly 1 litre of 12.5wt oil.

S.

ex offender
Congratulations Chewy, on the most constructive and useful post ever. Don't go straining yaself now!