Making your own freecoaster

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been interested in getting a freecoaster to muck around on for a while and rather than spending 300+ dollars I got a wheel of a $5 bike with a coaster brake on it. Ive watched the video on youtube of how to do it but its a bit sketchy and too quick and I cant really see what hes doing. Does anyone know if theres an online guide somewhere with pictures? It looks quite easy I would just like someone to tell me what to do:)

technoboy

Dirty Imports
why would you bother,
As soon as you try to fakie bunny down a decent drop like 3 or 4 stairs the hub will explode...
don’t be a tight ass if your interested in buying a coaster just buy one you wont be disappointed!!!!!!

'Ross

Eats Squid
Without a chain the pedals will spin too easily at least a chain will stop that and then you can actually ride the bike out of tricks. And definately don't bother spending 300 bucks on a little bit of a fun muck around wheel unless your a pro or very rich.

Drew.

Eats Squid
i'd rather spend $5 than 300 thanks
I'd rather spend $300 on a good hub than $1000 on a hospital bill when your hub explodes.

Dude, seriously, you can pick a KHE Freecoaster up for $150 posted, that's really not that much, and if you choose to run a $5 shit kicker that will get you hurt sooner or later and not fork out $150 so for a hub then you deserve what's coming.

hubbie

Forever 1,337
what will an exploding hub do? do they blow apart or just seize up?

Dale i remember when your hub was stuffed, but you still pushed yourself into jumps. That was sick! haha

technoboy

Dirty Imports
what will an exploding hub do? do they blow apart or just seize up?

Dale i remember when your hub was stuffed, but you still pushed yourself into jumps. That was sick! haha
firstly the hub will seize so it will be like a fixed gear then you will find your hub will make a strange noise then bang out of no were your bike will come to a complete stop catapulting you off the bike good luck ;)
Its not worth injuring your self...
Another horrible thing that could happen,
say your hub lasts a month and your fakies are going well one day you might decide to try a faster fakie and then when coasting backwards your hub fucks out.... say good bye to your tail bone...

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Just use the $5 wheel if its only being used as a spare wheel that you will ride occasionally and not really attempt massive tricks on. Dont bother wasting money on a new hub if you are not even going to be using it as your main wheel. If it explodes at least it will be an interesting spectacle.

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im going to do it to this bike, because its the only coaster brake hub i have, and because it'll look funny fakie-ing down the street on it

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok. i recommend not doing this. i did it tonight, and it does seize up. it was freecoasting fine (holding it in my hands spinning) then all of a sudden it seized up. may not happen for other people, but shit, if i was fakie-ing on that it seized up, it wouldnt be nice. funny, but not nice

technoboy

Dirty Imports
ok. i recommend not doing this. i did it tonight, and it does seize up. it was freecoasting fine (holding it in my hands spinning) then all of a sudden it seized up. may not happen for other people, but shit, if i was fakie-ing on that it seized up, it wouldnt be nice. funny, but not nice
yeah dude,
dont listen to me i dont know shite :)

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah dude,
dont listen to me i dont know shite :)
oh no, i wasn't saying you were wrong or anything, i just wanted to see if it would work. wasn't going to put it on my good bike or anything. it was worth a shot:D