Man attacks mountain bikers with pole, chases them with chainsaw in Dandenongs

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Man attacks mountain bikers with pole, chases them with chainsaw in Dandenongs
Neelima Choahan

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...h-chainsaw-in-dandenongs-20170426-gvt3g0.html

A man has allegedly attacked mountain bike riders with a pole, before chasing them with a running chainsaw in a frightening ordeal in the Dandenongs.

The riders were injured, and needed hospital treatment, after the attack which occurred about 6.30pm on April 19.

Three men, aged 29, 32 and 33, have told police they were riding along Barbers Road in Kalorama when they were approached by a man with a dog.

"[They] have reported they were verbally abused by the man," Senior Constable Alistair Parsons said.

The man then allegedly assaulted two of the riders with a pole. "One [rider] was bitten by the dog," Senior Constable Parsons said. He said the alleged attacker then left the scene, but returned a short time later with a running chainsaw.

The riders managed to escape and contacted police, before going to hospital for treatment. One of the bikes was badly damaged during the incident, police said.

Senior Constable Parsons said Belgrave police were investigating the incident and believed they had identified the man involved.

A warning about the "vicious attack" was posted on the Yarra Ranges Mountain Bikers Community Facebook page, urging riders to contact police if "anyone approaches you or provokes you out on your rides". Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, I do wonder WTF is wrong with some people? A running chainsaw? As handy as we'd all like to think we are, if he's got a dog and a chainsaw you need to have a gun to put them both down in my view.

stirk

Burner
Some humans are a waste of space. I've read enough stories about sabotage on trails that I do think about it and subconsciously look for it while riding. A man with a chainsaw is another matter!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Had a serial pest on some local trails in QLD - kept putting sticks on the track to start with, then it was holes and other things designed to cause people to crash. Have heard of ropes and wire across the trails at head height as well. You have to wonder at the mentality of these anti-mtb folk going to such extremes. I've ridden through plenty of horse shit on supposedly bike only trails (ie. not safe for horses) and had to deal with trail runners and the local women's fitness group that wants to power-walk the tracks, but that doesn't make me want to go postal on horses and non-bikers. In what reality is it ok to go get your chainsaw and start threatening anyone? If he'd been wielding his McCulloch in the middle of Bourke Street threatening folk, he'd likely be dead by now. Hope he gets what he deserves and not just a slap on the wrist.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So we're the guys riding e-bikes? Or the maniac wielding an e-chainsaw? The true victim here is the environment.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, I do wonder WTF is wrong with some people? A running chainsaw? As handy as we'd all like to think we are, if he's got a dog and a chainsaw you need to have a gun to put them both down in my view.
MTB conceal carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Weird though... the dude abuses them, then gets a pole and beats them along with his biting dog... then goes and gets his chainsaw. It doesn't sound like the riders are trying to get away, otherwise they'd be long gone after the initial abuse. It just doesn't sound right.

Regardless, I know a guy that got done by the fencing wire at throat height trick on his dirt-bike... so, the nutters are out there. He can still barely talk now, twenty years later. It was in the Dandenong's too.

BTW, I live just down the hill, from the chainsaw guy.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
....this is just as crazy as that old bloke that got shot up a month or 2 back in northern vic.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Holy crap I was stuffing around the fire roads on that day with my mate. Catch is he had an ebike. I would have been toast!

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Police believe at least six shots were fired at a bike rider at Everton on Saturday, with at least one bullet hitting him in the head and multiple rounds hitting his chest.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4...-riding-on-north-east-vic-rail-trail/?cs=2452

I read the FB warning yesterday and it said one of the bikes was a write off, so maybe the nut job beat the bike up and that's why the riders didn't leave straight away.
If I had someone come at me like this I would probably use my bike as a shield.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah the typo confused me and got me excited that some old gronk had actually been locked up for being a chunt.