Man dies when motorized bicycle slams into bus

dave19833

Cannon Fodder
motorized bikes

hi every one for evry one out thare and for your info motorized bikes are realy good thare are some idiets out thare that just slap tham on any thing you have to have a good bike to start and for you info the rta will not ban motorized bikes ever thay have just up the power from 200w to 1000w the rta wants more on the road and less cars if you live in the city ud be a idiot to drive a car whan you can ride a motorized bike youd save money on petty and get to work farster motorized bike have been areount for ofer 100 years so thay wont get rid of tham for every one baging tham you try not driving every whare youll want a motor to my bike can hit 92ks and im alwas stuk be hind some a hole going to slow thare will be more and more coming up every day so get yous to it and the cops like tham to i goit pulled over one\ce and thay just wanted to see it thay like it it has the right braks tho disc not v pull

T-Rex

Template denier
hi every one for evry one out thare and for your info motorized bikes are realy good thare are some idiets out thare that just slap tham on any thing you have to have a good bike to start and for you info the rta will not ban motorized bikes ever thay have just up the power from 200w to 1000w the rta wants more on the road and less cars if you live in the city ud be a idiot to drive a car whan you can ride a motorized bike youd save money on petty and get to work farster motorized bike have been areount for ofer 100 years so thay wont get rid of tham for every one baging tham you try not driving every whare youll want a motor to my bike can hit 92ks and im alwas stuk be hind some a hole going to slow thare will be more and more coming up every day so get yous to it and the cops like tham to i goit pulled over one\ce and thay just wanted to see it thay like it it has the right braks tho disc not v pull
And they are economical too. Like your use of punctuation.

Can someone translate this for me?

dave19833

Cannon Fodder
if you can not reed it than go back to your own country

whay dont you like motorized bike thare the best thing thares only going to be more so learn to like it

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow i think that just about beats that stp kid .....

dave19833

Cannon Fodder
nice one

the end of the day whats the point in been on the net and bagging every one did you not have a child hood or a girl frend

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Dude, you don't have to have flawless grammar or spelling but at least make an effort. That heap you just dribbled is completely unintelligible and just makes us write you off as an idiot. if you want to be taken seriously then try a bit harder.

And I'd love to know what country to go back to since I can't read it, its going to have a pretty big population.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the end of the day whats the point in been on the net and bagging every one did you not have a child hood or a girl frend
i have a girlfriend at the current moment id just like to understand what your trying to say, didn't think that was such a bad thing?

wombat

Lives in a hole
You can all stop arguing with Dave for the time being, he won't see any of this for a week or so.

On topic, there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around here. Aside from the fact that the results from the RTA discussion paper will probably lead to changes pretty soon, the current laws are pretty obvious.

How long till they get banned or regulated like those pocket bikes did ?
They are regulated, have been for ages; the enforcement of the legislation seems to be another matter though.

you'll find that nearly all petrol powered kits are illegal, and a few electric ones are illegal too.
unfortunatly it's not heavily policed, however with news like this, that may change.
pretty much their riding an un-registered vehicle,
they can be fined for all the usual vehicle faults ( indicators, no plates, lights, non adr complaint etc )
If the kit doesn't fall within the 'power assisted bicycle' description, then yeah it's an unregistered vehicle, but if it does make it in that class, it doesn't need to be registered, so the plates lights etc. are not an issue; not sure if that's what you were getting at or not.

Nor is it properly legislated for - I heard something about a 200W limit on electric bikes in the ACT, but it's not clear whether that's 200W input power (from the battery) or 200W output power (at the wheels.) There's also confusion over whether they are allowed on bike paths or the road.
Not sure what the go is in the ACT, but since this was a NSW case this is probably most relevant:
RTA guidelines
They're pretty clear cut in stating that the 200W limit is for the output of the assisting motors (whatever they be) and that they are to be ridden according to the same laws as normal bikes.

Hopefully the changes to the laws may lead to less restrictive standards though and we may see more of the better quality electric bikes that can be found overseas and, if we're lucky, more policing of the dodgy backyard kits.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
You can all stop arguing with Dave for the time being, he won't see any of this for a week or so.

On topic, there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around here. Aside from the fact that the results from the RTA discussion paper will probably lead to changes pretty soon, the current laws are pretty obvious.
It's getting bumped to 250watts, tapering off as your get quicker. It will have a speed cutout

They are regulated, have been for ages; the enforcement of the legislation seems to be another matter though.
RTA is wasting serious cash developing a bike dyno. I think they think cops are going to pull over ebikers and dyno their rides yo!

If the kit doesn't fall within the 'power assisted bicycle' description, then yeah it's an unregistered vehicle, but if it does make it in that class, it doesn't need to be registered, so the plates lights etc. are not an issue; not sure if that's what you were getting at or not.

Not sure what the go is in the ACT, but since this was a NSW case this is probably most relevant:
RTA guidelines
They're pretty clear cut in stating that the 200W limit is for the output of the assisting motors (whatever they be) and that they are to be ridden according to the same laws as normal bikes.

Hopefully the changes to the laws may lead to less restrictive standards though and we may see more of the better quality electric bikes that can be found overseas and, if we're lucky, more policing of the dodgy backyard kits.
Most electric bikes you see on the road are over the mandated power restriction from the RTA.
Petrol assist bikes are illegal in NSW.

If i had an attiude like some of the guys at the start of the thread, i'd be taking a long hard look at myself. It's cheating/whatever your lame arguements are... what a wank.

*INFERNO*

Likes Dirt
you'll find that nearly all petrol powered kits are illegal, and a few electric ones are illegal too.
unfortunatly it's not heavily policed, however with news like this, that may change.
pretty much their riding an un-registered vehicle,
they can be fined for all the usual vehicle faults ( indicators, no plates, lights, non adr complaint etc )
And probably will never really get policed just like all the tuff smoking laws. Every pushie out there is meant to have a bell and reflectors on there to be able to be ridden on the road.

T-Rex

Template denier
Petrol assist bikes are illegal in NSW.
Got anything to back that up?
Here you go:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/otherinformation/scootersminibikes.html?rlid=6

Pretty clear as to what's legal and what's not, and looks like pretty common sense. Some of those banned things are really annoying..... I particularly dislike Segways.......

I'm wondering if the extra weight of a motor is worth the extra help up a hill. I think I'd rather get my arse out of the saddle and pedal a bit harder, rather than lug the extra weight. But could be good for older folks.

What do people think? Has anyone ridden a bike with a 200w motor to assist them?

Cloaked STP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I passed out trying to read that, there was no where to take a breath!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Pretty clear as to what's legal and what's not, and looks like pretty common sense. Some of those banned things are really annoying..... I particularly dislike Segways.......
Yeap, especially this part:
Motor assisted pedal cycles with electric or petrol engines are exempt from registration, provided the maximum engine output power does not exceed 200 watts.
I was just wondering where tomas got the idea they were illegal.

As for what they're like, I've ridden a couple, only short little blasts though. The most recent was Aus Post's new electric bikes with the front hub drive. They scoot along pretty well, I'm sure they'd be fine to ride on flat areas and moderate inclines, not sure how well they'd pull up steep hills though.

Tomas

my mum says im cool

As for what they're like, I've ridden a couple, only short little blasts though. The most recent was Aus Post's new electric bikes with the front hub drive. They scoot along pretty well, I'm sure they'd be fine to ride on flat areas and moderate inclines, not sure how well they'd pull up steep hills though.
Sorry Wombat, it was a sweeping statement. Every commercially available petrol kit produces over 200W of power. Much much more. In reality, so are most of the electric kits that people cruise around on, so 'same same' i guess.

I read a comparison that implied a petrol motor would need to be similar to those found in RC cars to come under the legal benchmark.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Sorry Wombat, it was a sweeping statement. Every commercially available petrol kit produces over 200W of power. Much much more. In reality, so are most of the electric kits that people cruise around on, so 'same same' i guess.

I read a comparison that implied a petrol motor would need to be similar to those found in RC cars to come under the legal benchmark.
Fair enough. I was just wondering if something had been changed alredy with the legislation, I know it's meant to be happening soon.

floody

Wheel size expert

200w = 0.2kw or 0.26hp.

I have never observed an electric or internal combustion kit within this legal limit, apart from the Avanti Electra unit, which was frankly gutless by the time you factored in that it practically doubled the weight of the bike.

0.2kw wouldn't pull an adult up any kind of sustained incline.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
200w = 0.2kw or 0.26hp.

I have never observed an electric or internal combustion kit within this legal limit, apart from the Avanti Electra unit, which was frankly gutless by the time you factored in that it practically doubled the weight of the bike.

0.2kw wouldn't pull an adult up any kind of sustained incline.
science to rescue.

science.jpg