NSW Mangrove Mountain Bike Park!

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Welcome to the Mangrove Mountain Bike park trailbuilding thread.
We have been building on private property for a few years now but after a few injuries and a move to the gold coast we are back into it.
I thought it might be time to share whats been goin on and what our plans are for our little riding paradise.
I am not planning on opening to the public but you never know what could happen. We would like to open for races, competitions and ride days.
We are building the following
- slopestyle course
- Dual slalom (4x style track)
- Dirtjump Trails
- Pumptrack
- shortcourse dh runs
- Freeride trails of all sorts
Over the last month or so the dirtjumps have gone from a small 3 pack to a large 4 pack with multiple lines, a curved wallride and a nice new rollin. I will post up some photos for you to have a look at and you can see what 2 keen guys can get done in a weekend.

The old rollin. Its about 5 years old and hence the name its a bit wonky

The frame of the new rollin

The new rollin all finished

This next sequence is the opening up of the first jump, removing trees and building the new kickers

As you can see, it started to get dark but that doesnt stop us we continued in the rain and got the generator out and built up the 2nd kicker and lander for the new line.

The first few are before shots

The morning after

We did a bit more work here and there but i forgot to take photos and was a bit hungover and windblown. I will finish with some photos of the jumps and wallride. Keep an eye out for more post and new lines! Peace.

Wallride and 4th jump

2nd lander

wallride lander

A before and after shot

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Cheers guys.
Yeah all done by hand man, definately been a long process. We are about to get our hands on a bobcat to start moving some serious dirt around.
We are definately blessed with the dirt, high clay content and no rocks.

whats your land like dude.. you said that you wanted to maybe provide a short course DH run... what elevation do you have on the property..

The fact that you have built the jumps so far by hand is crazy.. Well done..

Also have you looked at your zoning on the land to see if allows for recreational activities... this will allow you to hold a public event..

Nick

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Greenvalleys Freeride
whats your land like dude.. you said that you wanted to maybe provide a short course DH run... what elevation do you have on the property..

The fact that you have built the jumps so far by hand is crazy.. Well done..

Also have you looked at your zoning on the land to see if allows for recreational activities... this will allow you to hold a public event..

Nick
NIck, the elevation is minimal definately no crazy rockgardens. We are kinda limited by the terrain but we are just keen to see what we can get happening. Probably build a couple of runs so if we do hold a race or something we can race both tracks.

The zoning of the land is a mystery, how do you find that out?
We are not really interested in holding a huge public event as yet but will see what happens.
I am more just building because i love it and i hate the state of publis trails, half arent even worth getting out of bed for.
We are just going to keep building and building and maybe one day we will hold a club race (DH or DS) or NSW freeride round.

NIck, the elevation is minimal definately no crazy rockgardens. We are kinda limited by the terrain but we are just keen to see what we can get happening. Probably build a couple of runs so if we do hold a race or something we can race both tracks.

The zoning of the land is a mystery, how do you find that out?
We are not really interested in holding a huge public event as yet but will see what happens.
I am more just building because i love it and i hate the state of publis trails, half arent even worth getting out of bed for.
We are just going to keep building and building and maybe one day we will hold a club race (DH or DS) or NSW freeride round.
if you want to hold a club race or nsw freeride round then you will need zoning on your land that allows for public recreational use, or more specific - an amendment to the zoning on your land which allows for mtb activities..

You can find this information from google - just find out who your local council is, access their website, and look for zoning maps of your area.. every council has them on the web..

If your land is not zoned for recreational activites, then you will need to put in a rezoning request.. This takes time - more than 12 months - so best to get onto it sooner than later.. With this rezone request you will also need to put with it a flora and fauna study, plus preliminary mapping information such as car park areas, access roads, toilet facilities, etc...

A lot of this info may have been created when the house was built on the property, so research that..

Either way you have some sick looking dirt jumps.. well done..

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe a builders ride day exchange should be on the cards?

Hmmm....say maybe late october when a new steak house has opened up north.

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Nick, Cheers man your an absolute champion.
Ok i opened the link and the property falls in the 010 tile but i cant figure out if its in the green zone or not. I played with everything on the page but cant figure it out.
I am kinda hoping that it does now!
Boys, a ride/build exchange would be awsome. I have been following what you guys have been doin and i'm stoked that your keen to check out our trails. I am interested to check your place out and have a ride with some keen builders!!!!
Whenever your keen to come up or need a hand down the gong let us know and well get it happening!!!

wonky1

Likes Bikes
ok i just kinda figured out the map thingy and if its not zoned re1 its right next door to a re1 zoned area.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wonky sorry i havnt got back to you, but have been working weekends at present. The pictures look fricken great, i wish now i did a bit of Dirt jumping.

wonky1

Likes Bikes
wengji
Wonky sorry i havnt got back to you, but have been working weekends at present. The pictures look fricken great, i wish now i did a bit of Dirt jumping.
No worries mate, maybe its a good time to start!!!!!!

so to do anything legit - you need a rezoning request - bummer
Yes it looks like its the illegitimate way for me for a while!!!!

Anyway we are heading up again this weekend to prepare for the bobcat i just booked. I will take my camera and get some riding shots if i can drag myself away from the trails.

Last edited:

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Yo, just an update. We had the bobcat for the weekend and after a bit of learning and seeing what it could do we got into it. We got alot done cleared the area for the rest of the DJ's, the dual slalom and half of the slopestyle. We also managed to build features for the majority of the slalom track, some huge kickers for the slopestyle and some other landers and stuff.
I forgot the camera so i have no photos but i will take alot next weekend and post them up.

wonky1

Likes Bikes
ok so its been ages since i have posted up some photos but dont think that means we havent been hard at it. We have been working on some dh lines and clearing the area for the slalom rollin that is going to have a 3.6m x 4.8m deck and a 6m downramp, HUGE!!!!
Ill post up some photos and see what you think!!

This is a before and after shot of a section of the slopestyle course. (if you look close you will see another stunt in the background)

These are progress photos of the slalom track. I cant wait to finish this, its so much fun as is and once i build this rollin the speed will be epic!!!!!

The rollin area!!!!

The run out before the first jump!!!!

The temporary rollin that will end up being the lander for the 2nd jump!!!!

The top off the lander in the last photo, looking at 1st big berm. There will be a roller or a table going in here!!!!

The first big berm!!!!

The run out of the first big berm, heading into switchbacks!!!!!

The switchbacks, will be bermed up and have inside/outside lines!!!!!

This is a little table top that can be rolled or jumped!!!!!!!!

This is the 2nd big berm heading into the roller for the start of the slalom gates (old school style)

The only photo i could find that shows the ghetto slalom poles, 20mm conduit. We plan on keeping these flat grass corners and making it two lanes so eventually the grass will bet rutted out and the lines will create themselves!!!!

I have started some dh stuff and will post up some more photos when there is more to see. thanks and i hope you like what you see!!!!