Manitou 4 way swinger air shock gone weird

rawlo101

Likes Bikes
(Admin delete if not allowed or in wrong spot)
Hey everyone
I was riding mt Taylor with a few mates today when my my rear shock (manitou 4 way swinger air) compressed down and wouldn't come back up, we played around with and eventually we pumped enough air in it to get half the travel as soon as I sat on the bikes tweet down again, it is holding pressure not leaking rebound is set right, and it's not as simple as a floppy shock it won't event spring back up even with sitting on the back wheel and pulling the frame up, if any one has any suggestions on what it is that would be much appreciated,
Cheers, Dan

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Your shock will have a leaking seal on the air piston head. This is allowing all of the pos (+) pressure into the other side of the seal head. The "stuck down" affect is the tell tale sign for this.

You need to use extreme caution when disassembling the shock to fix this as there will be pressure in the (-) neg side that cannot be released through the pos (+) side fill valve. Once the air can is unscrewed it will want to blow off the shock as this pressure is released. You will need to wrap some rags etc. around the end of the shock to give the air can something to slam into without damaging itself or the end of the shock. Wear a face shield and some ear muffs.

If this makes you uncomfortable in any way then DO NOT attempt it. This is what the manual says on the topic "If the shock returns to the short travel position, it is not serviceable and the entire shock must be replaced. WARNING: Attempting to service a shock with this condition could result in injury or possible death." You have been warned...

Service manual is here - http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service Manuals/2006 Swinger Shock Service Manual - Rev NC.pdf

rawlo101

Likes Bikes
Thanks

Your shock will have a leaking seal on the air piston head. This is allowing all of the pos (+) pressure into the other side of the seal head. The "stuck down" affect is the tell tale sign for this.

You need to use extreme caution when disassembling the shock to fix this as there will be pressure in the (-) neg side that cannot be released through the pos (+) side fill valve. Once the air can is unscrewed it will want to blow off the shock as this pressure is released. You will need to wrap some rags etc. around the end of the shock to give the air can something to slam into without damaging itself or the end of the shock. Wear a face shield and some ear muffs.

If this makes you uncomfortable in any way then DO NOT attempt it. This is what the manual says on the topic "If the shock returns to the short travel position, it is not serviceable and the entire shock must be replaced. WARNING: Attempting to service a shock with this condition could result in injury or possible death." You have been warned...

Service manual is here - http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service Manuals/2006 Swinger Shock Service Manual - Rev NC.pdf
Thanks a heap I'll be getting the lbs to do that